Whether to buy a M-E or summilux 50 3rd?

junichi94

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I really need some advice from your guys.

Currently I own a Leica M10, a Leica M3 and a summicron 50 5th and a summarit 50/1.5.

Now I have 3k USD to use and I have some option to choose.

First is to buy a second hand M-E, or buy a second hand summilux 50 3rd, or just spend 1k on a fuji x100v and save the rest for a trip.

Which should I choose?

So, you have two camera and two lenses.

M10 with Cron is totally good enough for low light.

M3 is totally awesome with old 50 1.5 (I used to have it).

In your case (G.A.S.) you need to buy M-E and Lux. 

And three different 35 lenses, later on.  Of course. Oh, here are 28, 21 lenses as well...

It is OK to try lenses. Keeps you busy from photography. :)

Seriously, M-E, what for?

1 hour ago, Ko.Fe. said:

So, you have two camera and two lenses.

M10 with Cron is totally good enough for low light.

M3 is totally awesome with old 50 1.5 (I used to have it).

In your case (G.A.S.) you need to buy M-E and Lux. 

And three different 35 lenses, later on.  Of course. Oh, here are 28, 21 lenses as well...

It is OK to try lenses. Keeps you busy from photography. :)

Seriously, M-E, what for?

·I really love my 50 1.5 quite amazing lens for its price.

I have my plan to get myself a 21mm lens , maybe a zm 21 2.8 or a ttartisan 21 1.5

I definitely would take your advice to get a lens. Thank you so much.

Thank you for staying with us, despite the somehow ironic and moody response. But you still haven't explained your motivation, other than spending $3k. In case you used other cameras and lenses before, you already know your preferences and needs. If you buy second-hand, you can try out, then keep or resell with minimum loss. It's ok to buy budget or off-brand, in particular unknown or foreseeably rarely used focal lengths.

• Why an M-E? It's technically inferior to the M10, will continue to depreciate and eventually be unrepairable after the inventory of spares has expired.
  • Why an X100? You have to study the manual, but in full-auto made any friend and yourself could take hassle-free, technically good pictures. I am not saying M3 or M10 are a hassle. Mastering manual focus by rangefinder requires practice, but you will not unlearn the skill. The manuals are shorter.
  • Any camera, including M-E and X100, is a backup, in case the M10 and the M3 fail or get lost.
  • Summicron 50/2 is good and fast enough for digital. f1,5 or f1,5 are for the effect, in case of film in addition for the extra speed.
  • Summilux 50/1,4 aspherical is both in one lens, but heavier and bulkier than either 50/2 or 50/1,5.
  • 21/1,5 is extreme. Most people would complement the 50mm with either 28mm, 35mm or 90mm. If you wear glasses, the M10's framelines for 28mm are difficult to see. The M3 has no framelines for 28mm and 35mm. 
  • Buy the lens hood for the 50/1,5. This way you can spend more from the burning $3k in your pocket than you may expect.
Edited by Peter Zapp

1 hour ago, Peter Zapp said:

Thank you for staying with us, despite the somehow ironic and moody response. But you still haven't explained your motivation, other than spending $3k. In case you used other cameras and lenses before, you already know your preferences and needs. If you buy second-hand, you can try out, then keep or resell with minimum loss. It's ok to buy budget or off-brand, in particular unknown or foreseeably rarely used focal lengths.

• Why an M-E? It's technically inferior to the M10, will continue to depreciate and eventually be unrepairable after the inventory of spares has expired.
  • Why an X100? You have to study the manual, but in full-auto made any friend and yourself could take hassle-free, technically good pictures. I am not saying M3 or M10 are a hassle. Mastering manual focus by rangefinder requires practice, but you will not unlearn the skill. The manuals are shorter.
  • Any camera, including M-E and X100, is a backup, in case the M10 and the M3 fail or get lost.
  • Summicron 50/2 is good and fast enough for digital. f1,5 or f1,5 are for the effect, in case of film in addition for the extra speed.
  • Summilux 50/1,4 aspherical is both in one lens, but heavier and bulkier than either 50/2 or 50/1,5.
  • 21/1,5 is extreme. Most people would complement the 50mm with either 28mm, 35mm or 90mm. If you wear glasses, the M10's framelines for 28mm are difficult to see. The M3 has no framelines for 28mm and 35mm. 
  • Buy the lens hood for the 50/1,5. This way you can spend more from the burning $3k in your pocket than you may expect.

Thank you very much for your reply and please forgive my poor english.

For the reason why do I want a M-E is that a lot of people told me the CCD is so different from CMOS and you will never get another chance to own a CCD Leica, so I am willing to try it out.

For the X100v, I just need it to take photos for my cat, I cannot take good pictures for my cat unless she is sleeping. But I will take your words and practise more  on manual 

Also, I already owned the hood for the 50/1.5 though it looks quite strange. 

Anyway, I will consider about stopping burning my money but practise more to improve my skills. 

PS: Summicron 50/2 is actually outstanding. I love this lens

If many pictures of your cat or your friends are out of focus, who cares? You don't waste film or processing. You don't lose a job. Your camera will become obsolete long before shutter or other mechanical parts are worn out.

If you work with a moving target, it's easier to follow with your camera and in this way keep the distance constant, rather than to follow with focus. 

You already have two 50mm lenses. 

Therefore, get a new Leica Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8 ASPH and $100 USD worth of N95 face masks, along with $300 USD worth of single malt whiskies. 

Stay home and drink whiskey until it is safer to travel. 

Drink your $300 USD worth of single malt whiskies and you won't care that you're stuck at home.  While not advisable, if you drink all your whiskey in one sitting - you won't know that you're stuck at home.  😎

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Haha 4

21 hours ago, earleygallery said:

Do nothing?

This is the best advice. You have good gear and it sounds like you are bored and think that buying more stuff will help somehow help.

As for a trip... I know that travelling is supposed to broaden your mind and believe that to be true. It is also true that we do way too much travelling and polluting when we should be broadening our minds nearer to home... there is always something new to see or to learn, it just requires attention. The current peace and quiet due to lack of planes is unbelievable.

• Like 1

Whatever you get, remember that digicams just depreciate, while lenses only appreciate.

You can get a Sony A7rii, send it to Kolari to get it fitted with an ultrathin glass so that it goes well with M lenses, and save half your money for something else.  Then, you will also be able to easily scan your film with the A7Rii