Leica Elmarit M 2.8/28mm ASPH. (11 677).

V23

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Would someone who is using this lens help me with following:

I have just purchased a Leica Elmarit M 2.8/28mm ASPH. (11 677). Would you please let me know if there is a ring to cover thread that the dedicated lens hood screws onto (I will not be using supplied lens hood) and its part number if known so I can order it. I have been unable to find any info on it. For clarity I am enclosing photos of the lens jpg691274 showing exposed thread that the lens hood screws onto, jpg1217512 is showing the thread covered by cover ring. Many thanks in advance.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

There have been other post about this issue. If you purchased the lens new, ( hopefully there if your bought the lens second hand) in the Lens case if you remove the foam in the bottom of the  case( there are 2 pieces, 1 rectangular and a round one under it )   you should find the threaded ring that protects the  thread

Edited by lexontario
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, lexontario said:

There have been other post about this issue. If you purchased the lens new, ( hopefully there if your bought the lens second hand) in the Lens case if you remove the foam in the bottom of the  case( there are 2 pieces, 1 rectangular and a round one under it )   you should find the threaded ring that protects the  thread

12 minutes ago, lexontario said:

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Great ! I only found out about the ring by reading forums or I never would have known it was there. A word of advice, I had  an issue with my 28mm lens.

I have a half case on my MP240 body, with the case on the body it is difficult to install the lens and turn it to seat on the body by only holding the lens at the very bottom of the lens.

It is best to remove any camera body case when installing or removing the 28 lens as you do not want to twist the lens using the aperture or focus ring jammed against their stops.

Edited by lexontario

Thank you for your information, I have sold my M 240 and for the last three years I have been using LS with 24-90 and a Leica M to L mount adapter (in some way I do miss M at times, perhaps when M11 arrives….). 

5 minutes ago, james.liam said:

What does the ring Actually do?

Keeps the threads clean and protected if hood not being used. Any damage would prevent the hood from screwing in properly.  Same with other lenses with screw-in hood, for example Q2 28mm lens.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

19 minutes ago, james.liam said:

What does the ring Actually do?

The ring just protects/hides the thread when original lens hood is not being used as in my case. I will be using various size filters via step-up ring on this lens.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, V23 said:

The ring just protects/hides the thread when original lens hood is not being used as in my case. I will be using various size filters via step-up ring on this lens.

Maybe you overlooked the smaller font just above. :)

Jeff

• Haha 1