M2 and M3 prices on Ebay

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Talking to my grandson today and he mentioned he’s enjoying using the Pentax slr I gave him to learn film photography, so decided to look at prices of M2’s on Ebay and maybe get him one with a cheap lens for our trip to the Somme battlefield next year. Talk about stupid prices, I can’t imagine any of them selling at the prices they are asking, same with the M3. I paid less than £600 for a near mint M3 in December 16 so can’t believe they have increased in value that much in just over 3 years. 
I think these sellers need a reality check. 

23 hours ago, Geoff Marshall said:

Talking to my grandson today and he mentioned he’s enjoying using the Pentax slr I gave him to learn film photography, so decided to look at prices of M2’s on Ebay and maybe get him one with a cheap lens for our trip to the Somme battlefield next year. Talk about stupid prices, I can’t imagine any of them selling at the prices they are asking, same with the M3. I paid less than £600 for a near mint M3 in December 16 so can’t believe they have increased in value that much in just over 3 years. 

I'm also stunned at prices on eBay. I always have in my mind £500 Chrome M4, £600 for M2/M3 and £800 for M6 classic. Those days seem to have long gone.

You're lucky to see an M6 Classic for less than £2000, and I see there's someone trying to sell an M6 classic which he claims to be "opened, not used" for getting on for £4000!

Prices at Red Dot and Ffordes are more realistic.

Pete

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stealth3kpl said:

I'm also stunned at prices on eBay. I always have in my mind £500 Chrome M4, £600 for M2/M3 and £800 for M6 classic. Those days seem to have long gone.

You're lucky to see an M6 Classic for less than £2000, and I see there's someone trying to sell an M6 classic which he claims to be "opened, not used" for getting on for £4000!

Prices at Red Dot and Ffordes are more realistic.

Pete

I'm amazed at the recent price jump in M6 Classics - I paid $1100 (Australian) for a good condition M6 round 2015 then sold it approximately a year later for $1200 (Aus) to fund a black paint MP that had turned up here locally - that was the princely sum of $2800 (Aus) - those were the days!!. Non TTL M6s are currently selling (or being offered for sale) in the range $2000 - $4000 here in Australia - nearing MP prices? One of the reasons I eventually parted with the M6 (apart from to temptation of the MP) was the significant flare in the viewfinder - my M3 & MP were far superior IMHO.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, romualdo said:

I'm amazed at the recent price jump in M6 Classics - I paid $1100 (Australian) for a good condition M6 round 2015 then sold it approximately a year later for $1200 (Aus) to fund a black paint MP that had turned up here locally - that was the princely sum of $2800 (Aus) - those were the days!!. Non TTL M6s are currently selling (or being offered for sale) in the range $2000 - $4000 here in Australia - nearing MP prices? One of the reasons I eventually parted with the M6 (apart from to temptation of the MP) was the significant flare in the viewfinder - my M3 & MP were far superior IMHO.

Bit OT, but is there anyone you’d recommend for 135/120 color film sales and processing in Brisbane? Thinking to bring along an MP and Bessa III next trip ‘home’ after the present unpleasantness is a memory. Seems that the new 3D airport security scanners are death to even low ISO film so feel happier about idea of sourcing and processing locally.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 4/27/2020 at 5:51 AM, Geoff Marshall said:

YouTube Hipsters. They’ll show up on our lawns next!

I’ve just switched photo processing stores in Hong Kong and the one I’m using now is *busy*. Like queue for service busy sometimes. Quite a revelation. Lot of youngsters starting out with Lomos or OM-1 or 70s fixed lens rangefinders. Pretty soon they’ll be wanting an M2 too. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, romualdo said:

One of the reasons I eventually parted with the M6 (apart from to temptation of the MP) was the significant flare in the viewfinder

That's why I changed to the MP. I like the look of the M6 Classic, but the viewfinder could be a pain in certain lighting.

Pete

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kinch123 said:

Bit OT, but is there anyone you’d recommend for 135/120 color film sales and processing in Brisbane? Thinking to bring along an MP and Bessa III next trip ‘home’ after the present unpleasantness is a memory. Seems that the new 3D airport security scanners are death to even low ISO film so feel happier about idea of sourcing and processing locally.

Kinch123

Fotofast - they're in Taringa (between Toowong & Indooroopilly) - I can recommend them - my son & I use them extensively 

bought a roll of Ilford FP4 125 from them recently. My son informs me that there are no "dip dunk developing" services for 120 film in Brisbane

https://fotofast.com.au/contact-info

• Thanks 1

When Leica announced M-A and MP, I wondered who the hell would buy them in view of the abundance of used M2/3/4/6/7 (and independent repair shops).

Some years before I likewise wondered about the Summarit-line of lenses. But pricing of used, common 35mm and 50mm lenses increased the most against original list prices. Current demand is even higher.

And in the new world there are no second hand lenses or bodies, anyway.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 10:51 PM, Geoff Marshall said:

I think some buyers need a reality check. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't pay £2500 for an M6 but nor would I expect to be able to buy one nowadays for £800 either.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 3

I am with Ian on this. I am always amazed that buyers are amazed at the prices of second hand cameras, particularly Leicas. The demand for such cameras and the prices they will fetch is generally on the rise because of a number of factors, including the perceived value of Leicas, the increasing use of film, not only by young hipsters but also by older people like myself and also the collector market. There is no such thing as a 'fixed price' for second hand cameras and there should not be one for new items either, but that would be a long and boring discussion about competition law which nobody would want to have here.

The collector market shows mainly a flattish curve (a current hot topic in another more important field) with some rises, but these averages of auction prices are 'healthy' to say the least.

https://collectiblend.com/Cameras/Leitz/M3-chrome-Double-Stroke.html

https://collectiblend.com/Cameras/Leitz/M3-chrome-Single-Stroke.html

https://collectiblend.com/Cameras/Leitz/M2-(chrome,button-rewind).html

https://collectiblend.com/Cameras/Leitz/M2-(chrome,lever-rewind).html

It may seem strange and contrary to current thinking, but Double Stroke M3s and Button Rewind M2s seem to fetch more in the collector market than their Single Stroke and Lever Rewind cousins. This actually reflects my own preferences.

That is about it. There is no such thing as a set price for a second hand camera and prices are usually set in accordance with what the market will bear. There is no law against haggling , though.

William

• Like 1

The one that got me was a mint condition M3 on Ebay for $6895 asking price, yes it had boxes but it was used not new, the price is ridiculous. I sold both M2s each needing recovering and a shutter job last year for $400 now I know I gave the kid a good deal (both had had shutter work 3 and 5 years before and I wasn't confident with my repair sources) his dad tells me he doesn't put them down.

• Like 1

I recently bought an extremely nice M4-P for $1400 US and thought I got a bargain. 😄. By that I mean, relative to the market but absurd for what it is. A very nice Hasselblad in the V series complete with a Zeiss 80 Planar costs about the same.  Talk about asymmetry!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

The one that got me was a mint condition M3 on Ebay for $6895 asking price, yes it had boxes but it was used not new, the price is ridiculous. I sold both M2s each needing recovering and a shutter job last year for $400 now I know I gave the kid a good deal (both had had shutter work 3 and 5 years before and I wasn't confident with my repair sources) his dad tells me he doesn't put them down.

Asking prices are one thing, selling prices another. 

There's lots of chancers on ebay. Some time ago someone listed a very average looking R3 for £800 (true worth about £80). It's still on there but the problem is that there's quite a few others at that price too. People check to see what the 'going rate' is I guess and think it's their lucky day! The thing that should make them think again is why aren't they selling? 

Reputable dealer prices, ebay sold prices and auction results are a better guide of actual market value. 

• Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 10:51 PM, Geoff Marshall said:

...(I)...decided to look at prices of M2’s on Ebay......Talk about stupid prices......I paid less than £600 for a near mint M3 in December 16 so can’t believe they have increased in value that much in just over 3 years...

If you are still looking, Geoff, Ffordes - mentioned by Stealth earlier - have a pair of M3s in at the moment. They are priced at £799 (each!) which seems to be about the base price for an M2 / M3 these days and, presumably, they will come with some sort of a guarantee.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1

Some of the eBay sellers may be following auction prices. The rule should be, don't buy stuff at auction prices on eBay. Auctioneers are largely selling to the collector market and, so, if you are looking for just a user camera, a dealer is the best bet for you. Yes, I know that some dealers sell on eBay too and that is fine as it is just another channel for them. Things to look out for include whether the camera has had a CLA, whether it is stated to be in working order and also whether there is a warranty of any kind.

People selling cameras above the usual price range don't annoy me. I just ignore their offerings. I have built up most of my large collection from auctions, but that is a whole different world which requires a steep learning curve and a bit of experience. My recommendation for anyone looking for a user Leica is to buy from a reputable dealer either directly, online or on eBay. Ignore auctions unless you are going to become a collector and ignore the 'one off chancers' and occasional dealers on eBay.

William

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pippy said:

If you are still looking, Geoff, Ffordes - mentioned by Stealth earlier - have a pair of M3s in at the moment. They are priced at £799 (each!) which seems to be about the base price for an M2 / M3 these days and, presumably, they will come with some sort of a guarantee.

Philip.

Hi Philip 

purchased a few Leica items from Ffordes over the years and been happy so will have a look at what they have in stock. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, james.liam said:

flEaBay is a “Field if Dreams”. The world hovers on the cusp of economic calamity and these sellers are stuck in December 2019. The market will in the fullness of time determine the corrected value & prices.  

Not sure I agree. I "watch" a lot of Leica and Hassy gear on ebay, and it gets sold, pretty close to asking price. The Far East taste for prestigious cameras seems pretty robust.

• Like 2