Are phone-scanned pictures permitted?

farnz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

To Andreas or one of the Mods,

I'd like to digitise some prints of pictures I've taken with Leica film cameras and thought I might try using a scanning App on my iPhone for convenience rather than go to the expense of finding a copy stand etc.

If I did this and the pictures or prints were originally made using Leica cameras and/or lenses would I be transgressing the forum's picture uploading rules?

Pete.

2 hours ago, farnz said:

I'd like to digitise some prints of pictures I've taken with Leica film cameras and thought I might try using a scanning App on my iPhone for convenience rather than go to the expense of finding a copy stand etc.

If I did this and the pictures or prints were originally made using Leica cameras and/or lenses would I be transgressing the forum's picture uploading rules?

Pete.

Which app would you use ?

Without having searched the AppStore for a more appropriate one yet, I'd probably use Scanner Pro, which is a pdf scanner.  It's only a vague thought at this stage brought on by ads emailed to me from CineStill for expensive equipment followed by a thought that I could probably do a reasonable job far more cheaply since it wouldn't be for archival purposes.

Pete.

Edited by farnz
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, farnz said:

Get a grip there, Pete. Who is going to notice? You are just scanning Leica made images. I have regularly posted Leica related documents scanned with an iPhone  on the Forum. I also have a Huawei phone with 'Leica lenses', but it is nowhere near as functional for scanning as the iPhone.  While we are on the topic, we had an online Mobile Phone Workshop in aid of charity yesterday organised from our gallery in Dublin. I was amazed at the demonstrated functionality of Snapseed. It is literally 'Photoshop/Lightroom for Smartphones'.

William

2 minutes ago, willeica said:

Get a grip there, Pete. Who is going to notice?

That's hardly the point, William, and I'd rather be wise before the fact than after having pictures removed and any associated acrimony.  We are in Andreas's 'house' so I prefer to respect his wishes.

Pete.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, farnz said:

The difference would be that the EXIF would presumably identify it as a mobile phone not a scanner.

Pete.

A sense of proportion is needed for this type of thing. If I shoot film and post the photos you would have no idea what camera or film I used, only the details of the scanner if you can find them. In most clubs observance of the rules is a matter of collective trust among adults. I, for one,  don’t go around checking such things. I don’t see how using a smartphone to scan images with a Leica in their history would breach any ‘house rules’. I will support you if anyone objects.

William

Edited by willeica
  • Like 1

I published many photos here in the LUF, which once I made in Japan more than 30 years ago with a Leica M4-P and a M6. For this purpose I scanned the photos (20x30cm) with  a Canon LIDE 220, everybody can see this in the EXIF data, so far, nobody has complained about it.

1 minute ago, AndreasG said:

I published many photos here in the LUF, which once I made in Japan more than 30 years ago with a Leica M4-P and a M6. For this purpose I scanned the photos (20x30cm) with  a Canon LIDE 220, everybody can see this in the EXIF data, so far, nobody has complained about it.

A CANON!!!!! Oh my oh my oh my, what have we become!!!

• Haha 3

On 4/26/2020 at 1:25 PM, farnz said:

Pete.

I don't see any objection.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 12:25 PM, farnz said:

..... rather than go to the expense of finding a copy stand etc.

A tripod lying on a table positioned so that the head is overhanging and with a weight on the legs will double as a copy stand very effectively. The easy way of ensuring that camera and print are parallel is to use a spirit level on both and ensure that the print support and camera lcd are both level. I have used this technique many times - preferably with the print illuminated by a large window to minimise lighting variation across the frame. I have a copy stand (Leitz - £5 worth - extraordinarily cheap) but still use a tripod if its a smaller print I'm copying. In fact I was copying some artworks yesterday and used a tripod in preference as the copy stand was in storage and not quickly accessible. The person for whom I did the copies was happy and has put them on the website already. You don't need sophisticated gear if you are prepared to improvise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, pgk said:

way of ensuring that camera and print are parallel is to use a spirit level on both

You can also place a mirror on the print and center the mirror image of the lens in the center of the finder.

• Like 2

Indeed, although if you use an M Leica its easier to use the spirit level method😉. (Actually my M9 has copied a surprising amount of artworks due to its portability and low lens distortions. I find its files good to work with and produce very acceptable matching colours).

Here's the set-up I was using yesterday (iPhone pic!) together with a copy made using it - not perfect but acceptable enough for many uses - the baking foil just helps maintain even illumination.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by pgk
  • Like 1