T (typ 701) with L-mount Lenses

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Do L-Mount lens from Sigma or Panasonic work with the original T (typ 701) ?

I use the camera as a backup to my CL with the variety of TL lenses or adapted lenses. I might be looking into a Panasonic for high res-images. The Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 is a favored lens I'm looking at, but there are others I might look at.

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I saw the release of this L-mount lens. It very suitable for my budget. Currently I am using Leica TL with some manual focus lens. Will this lens auto focus compatible with Leica TL? Did you ever try panasonic or sigma lens auto focus on Leica T/TL? Are there any problem?

https://www.dpreview.com/news/2926845696/panasonic-announces-lumix-s-20-60mm-f3-5-5-6-lens-for-l-mount

• 4 weeks later...

I just want to add I bought a 2nd hand Leica T as an "extra" body for my Sigma SA lenses, using the MC-21 SA-L adapter. Well, that didn't work, not even after a firmware update of the adapter. To make sure Sigma lenses would work on the Leica T anyway, I checked a few with L Mount without issues. So the Leica T will accept L Mount lenses, as stated above. Don't expect it to accept L mount adapters though.

Am 4.7.2020 um 00:11 schrieb MarcW:

...Don't expect it to accept L mount adapters though.

Yes, that's very sad news.
I'd like to adapt my Canon EF Lenses, which I adapt today at my Sony A6300, at my CL.
Unfortunately Sigma doesn't support the MC-21 adapter with Leica bodies.
So I have to keep my Sony for theses lenses further on :( ...

The adaptation of electronically controlled lenses to non-native-mount bodies is always something of a dicey business unless the original manufacturer of the lenses to be adapted also produces the adapter. All the others have to reverse-engineer the mount and the lens control systems, issues invariably arise with different bodies and lenses. 

This is why I have only used such adaptation with my Olympus FourThirds lenses on Micro-FourThirds bodies. I stick with Leica M and R lenses when adapting them to the SL or CL bodies, and use Leica's own mount adapters for these lenses so as to get the most functionality and compatibility. 

Lenses made for L mount with Leica's opening up of the mount specifications to included manufacturers, like Panasonic and Sigma, should work pretty nicely on all L mount bodies (T, TL, TL2, CL, SL, SL2 and associated Panasonic and Sigma L mount bodies) ... but I do hear of some incompatibilities from time to time. Best to buy with return privileges and test...

G

• Like 1

vor 12 Stunden schrieb ramarren:

...All the others have to reverse-engineer the mount and the lens control systems, issues invariably arise with different bodies and lenses...

I have to disagree!
Sigma knows the EF protocol as they are producing lenses for Canon since years!
And the know the L-protocol too.
So it should not be a huge challenge for them to support the MC-21 with Leica too.

Sigma has never had a license agreement or specification from Canon to the best of my knowledge. Canon's body-lens interaction protocol has always been, and remains, a proprietary specification.

The fact that Sigma managed to figure it out enough to produce products that work with it is a nod to their ingenuity, and to their legal team to steer them through the legal issues of using another company's mounting flange design. This is why when Canon modifies the EF lens protocol in any way, Sigma accessories generally have problems. 

L-mount is a different game, since Leica opened up the specification to trusted (and paid up) partners. But the interaction of driving a Canon lens from L mount remains the same reverse engineering challenge for the EF mount. 

Edited by ramarren
  • Thanks 1

Maybe it's me, but I don't get how Canon got into this? The L Mount is Leica Sigma Panasonic. so I would expect a "Sigma SA to L Mount" work on the Leica T, but apparently none of the L Mount devices launched before the L Mount Alliance are supported - disappointing, but true. Why would Canon or any other brand be supported at this stage? 

Canon got into this, because Sigma has done a great job at compatibility with the MC-11; the Sony E-mount adapter for Canon EF and Sigma SA lenses

Sigma has not done the same compatibility level with the Sigma MC-21; the L-Mount adapter for Canon EF and Sigma SA lenses