D--Lux 109 Sensor Dust

Welcome Philip, 

Leica UK certainly used to offer this service, but you would need to wait until normal service resumes. You could email customer service at leica in Germany and seek their advice. A home-working member of staff might reply before the department resumes work. Look at the Leica website. Worth a try.

• 4 weeks later...

My wife's D-109 had this problem and we had to send the camera to Leica Wetzlar to have it cleaned. Luckly it was still within three years from the purchase and it was done under warranty with no expenses. Unluckly (!) this was done a few days before the lockdown we had in Italy...and the camera has already come back but is still in the Leica store!

• 2 weeks later...

I had my D-109 cleaned twice because of sensor dust. I gave up and exchanged the camera for a Leica X2 when visible dust appeared for a third time. Apparently I'm not alone and this seems to be a common problem with the 109. Issues can be found in the Leica forum on dpreview.com and probably with the Pana LX100 as well. Perhaps the D-lux 7 and LX100 II are better sealed, but I've not risked buying either camera. In my opinion either the barrel is not well sealed and the expanding zoom pumps air and dust in and out, or static on the sensor attracts dust particles. In one case there was a fiber on my sensor which appeared as a hair in the right hand corner of every picture. In Leica's defense, this issue was corrected free of charge.

• 4 weeks later...