TL2 HDMI Output

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Have any of you fine TL2 owners had experience with the HDMI output for streaming?

As the TL2 does have an HDMI out, I'm curious if it can output clean HDMI (no UI elements, basically) to external devices - preferably for more than 1h without shutting down.

My guess is it can and it should also be able to do this while being plugged into an USB-C power connection to keep it alive, but I'm hoping to get first-hand experience from you.

P.S.: I didn't just come running to your help here; I did take a look in the manual, but either there's nothing there about this or I've missed it.

I tried it before selling my TL2 last autumn. I was recording to a BM Video Assist, but the TL2 shut down after around (but not exactly) half an hour - I suspect because of overheating. I didn't get close to the battery limit, and it wasn't the normal limit on video recording mandated by EU tax matters, as it wasn't exactly at the 29.99 minutes that I've encountered with actual in-camera recording. The video itself was clean. So, in theory it should be fine, but in practice.....

I decided that, if I were to use the TL2 for video, it would be for shorter clips in close-up/casual/mobile scenarios. In the end I sold the TL2 to buy a Sigma fp - same size, same mount, but full frame and far more capable for video.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, and thanks for the info @LocalHero1953. I was wondering the same thing as @raadoo as i also was thinking it would’ve been a great solution for me to use in a livestream setup as I already own the CL and could’ve used its lenses and also as a backup for when im out shooting. Thats too bad to hear...I really wish Leica could have worked this out as it would probably sell a lot of tl2’s during and after covid-19. I don’t think it should be that hard to reprogram the cpu to disable the 30 min video limit or at least push it up to 1 hour in case they are afraid of overheating it. In case this can be promised in a firmware update i will buy it and think many more of us will too. If not i will have to consider the Sigma fp or Blackmagic pocket 4k. But it would sure be sweet to stay in the Leica line for a consistent look. Please consider this update Leica! 👀

12 hours ago, annbjer said:

Hi, and thanks for the info @LocalHero1953. I was wondering the same thing as @raadoo as i also was thinking it would’ve been a great solution for me to use in a livestream setup as I already own the CL and could’ve used its lenses and also as a backup for when im out shooting. Thats too bad to hear...I really wish Leica could have worked this out as it would probably sell a lot of tl2’s during and after covid-19. I don’t think it should be that hard to reprogram the cpu to disable the 30 min video limit or at least push it up to 1 hour in case they are afraid of overheating it. In case this can be promised in a firmware update i will buy it and think many more of us will too. If not i will have to consider the Sigma fp or Blackmagic pocket 4k. But it would sure be sweet to stay in the Leica line for a consistent look. Please consider this update Leica! 👀

If you record from the hdmi port then you avoid the legal/regulatory 30 min limit on video. But, as I wrote, that will not help. It shut down because, I believe, of overheating. So reprogramming the CPU wouldn't work.