Suddenly a hole in my m7 curtain, how is this possible?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A week ago I developed a rol of film, everything fine. Today I developed another role and many overexposed shots. I checked my camera and discovered a nasty hole. How is this possible? Leica repairs are usually not cheap, I want to make sure not to get this again. Any advice?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

If we knew the diameter of the hole, we could probably work out the focal length of the lens...

OK. I estimate the hole diameter to be 0.8mm which suggests a 90 mm lens... (the sun is 1.39m km in diameter and 150m km distant)

Edited by marknorton
  • Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 minutes ago, earleygallery said:

You may be able to repair it without needing new shutter curtains. Either a small patch glued over the hole or filling the hole with rubberised paint - there are some threads on here with more details.

Thanks for your advice! 

Hope this will work

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Don't use tape. It will come unstuck and end up causing far greater problems inside the guts of your camera. If you can find an old and wrecked camera with cloth curtains it is possible to use the curtain material from that camera. Camera repair techs can often help in this regard as they always seem to have old bodies around the workshop. Also I would use a round not a square patch. Corners are always weak points where detachment starts. I will leave it to others to suggest the best glue to use. But needless to say the glue must be flexible and stay that way. As for me I have repaired cloth curtains with sun holes in them just like yours using liquid electrical tape as others have suggested. (It comes in paint on and spray on form - use the paint on type sparingly with a tiny artists brush to build up layers till the hole is closed. Less is better - you do not need big gobs of rubbery stuff on your delicate cloth curtain. 

I have also repaired a curtain in which the light proof rubber backing had become crazed (but the cloth itself was intact) using Pebeo marbling ink, a flexible liquid paint/ ink used for marbling fabrics. This is too thin to patch holes but quite effective in rectifying a crazed curtain for at least the few more years that I owned an used the camera with that problem. 

In either case leave the curtain for several days to make sure the glue is absolutely set before cycling the shutter.

Edited by peterm1_Leica

• 1 year later...

I have never left a camera on a table facing sunlight with an uncapped lens.  But simply walking around in Greece with a 21mm mounted on my IIIg and the camera hung around my neck was enough to noticeably mark the curtain at several spots, all incipient holes, but thankfully none of them complete.

Any time the lens looks at the sun, even if only a short time, there is danger of burning, just like starting a fire on dry leaves with a magnifying glass does not take a long time.🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Edgy01 said:

Hence, the reason Nikon began using titanium shutter foils on their SPs and then the F line.  

Titanium can burn as well - it is just a bit more resistant than cloth.

• Like 1