MP Overlapping Frames

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone else experienced this?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by gabrielaszalos

Thinking about it more, after every few frames I kept pushing the "R" release lever down to test if it's working (because of another issue, see below thread). I wonder if this caused the frames to misalign because it seems very likely. I'm thinking it might've released tension and film might've gone back a bit. Ultimately seems like my fault then... :) I'll see if it happens again. I won't touch the rewind lever again, ever, until the end of the roll.

Edited by gabrielaszalos
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gabrielaszalos said:

Thinking about it more, after every few frames I kept pushing the "R" release lever down to test if it's working

That reminds me of the old joke:

Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I twist my arm like this."

Doctor: "Don't do it then."

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, gabrielaszalos said:

Has anyone else experienced this?

There have been a few posts in recent years about irregular or very close frame spacing. Most of the complaints seem to be users with M-A cameras but I guess MP and M-A cameras are mechanically identical and must be made on the same production lines. In your case, I think you may have found the answer.

You are allowing the film to slacken off each time you engage the rewind lever. Next time you have no film in the camera look inside the back door and you will see a ratchet gear that engages in the film sprockets. This keeps tension on the film and normally only moves in the direction of the advancing film. When you engage the rewind lever that disengages the ratchet so it is slack and allows you to rewind the film. Do this halfway through a film and the film will go slack, then the next time you advance the film the shutter gets cocked but the mechanism has no way to make up for the slack you've just induced, so your frame spacing suffers.

Leica's are pretty simple cameras, you do one thing such as advance the film and what was designed to happen happens. Try to fool it and the thing that was designed to happen doesn't happen. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, gabrielaszalos said:

I kept pushing the "R" release lever down to test if it's working

This is exactly the reason. I did it myself yesterday with my MP when I was about to take a film out to develop it but then decided to take a couple of indoor shots. The point at which I had activated the release lever showed overlapping frames just as your example.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ianman said:

What's going on in frames 27 & 35? Some sort of wormhole or space-time vortex you are photograhing?

Indeed, those are my experiments with the interactions of the space-time continuum. Or maybe it was just me smudging out people from the frame in Photoshop. Not sure anymore. One of the two. 

On 4/22/2020 at 1:28 PM, Stealth3kpl said:

This is exactly the reason. I did it myself yesterday with my MP when I was about to take a film out to develop it but then decided to take a couple of indoor shots. The point at which I had activated the release lever showed overlapping frames just as your example.

Pete

Every time you get the shutter ready to take a picture a little of tension its apply to the film that is being pulled from the canister, so when you press the release lever the tension sends back the film just a bit to freeing up the tension.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2