Is an upgraded AF drive unit a must when buying Leica S lenses?

Reggieplaysbass

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

That’s why it’s worth contacting Josh.  He’ll know if other S lenses might be coming in trade or return from Leica Service, etc.  Things can change daily.  He can also put you on a wait list.  A couple of years ago I called on a Friday to put myself on a list for a mint used first version Monochrom.  None were available. Josh called me Monday morning, 3 days later,  to ask if I wanted one that just came back from Leica with new sensor and full service.  Still a gem.  Also got a mint SL 90-280 from them this year, just before the tariff related price increases, which later affected all used inventory in order to main pricing relationships between new and used gear... that’s good business.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. Appreciate it. Will send Josh a note. Best.

I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase an original lens without motor change. Three of my five lenses had AF failure, with manual focus working fine. Others have said their lenses locked up completely with no manual focus. I used the lenses without AF for several months before sending them in. It is frustrating to be without the lens but the prices for used are compelling, and the extra cost of the motor also gets a CLA, so it’s like new.  I would recommend you talk to your dealer,  I find slight differences from dealer to dealer here, half way  around the world may be  too far to generalize experiences. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Reggieplaysbass said:

Wow, given your repeated experience of lens failing, I’m surprised you haven’t switched out yet. Definitely something to think about specially addressing repairs and upgrades.

Well, I have kind of switched but more as a result of the S3 being delayed, because I do believe that once my S lenses have been fixed with the new AF gears, they will be OK for many years. Bought an IQ3100 digital back for a very low price from a long time dpreview member and then the P1 XF camera body second hand from the main P1 dealer in London. Added a few more lenses in mint condition in the meantime. Still haven't sold my S007 and the S lenses but it may happen. The XF has its own issues but its full integration with Capture One is a major plus for me. The built-in Profoto trigger is also a nice feature. Currently sitting on the fence, waiting to try the S3 in a shoot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 095lux said:

Biggest problem is the turnaround if you do the repair via the local dealer - it took 6-8 weeks for my each of my three lenses to come back when I lived in Singapore. 

Hmm, not really ideal then specially in our global situation. I bet there’s a ton of backlog with Leica as well. Thanks! 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 4/22/2020 at 5:03 AM, darylgo said:

It is frustrating to be without the lens but the prices for used are compelling, and the extra cost of the motor also gets a CLA, so it’s like new.

That is exactly why I buy the lenses with a new motor.  Places like Leica Miami post the CLA date so you know if it was recent or several years ago.  I opt for recent changes and rubber rings in good shape...  I've only bought one S lens new (70 CS), the rest used with new motors and not had any trouble in snow, rain and sand.

For reasons well expressed involving the time delay on getting a lens AF motor repaired, I would not buy a used lens without a new motor. Of course, right now used lenses for the S are suddenly in demand as the S3 comes out. I endorse buying from Leica Miami with their registration of lenses with AF fixes.

During the time a lens could be fixed for free, I sent mine in via Leica Miami as each had issues, and Josh got pretty fast turnaround. My 24mm has never failed, and I decided that I didn't want to take the time to get it fixed before failure. Furthermore, the 24mm has difficulty in finding AF anyway being a super-wide lens. I always use manual focus but push the AF button for starters. With the 24m quite often when there was nothing to focus on before infinity, the AF did not seek infinity so I was often zone focusing anyway. Net, if the 24 AF fails, I bet I will live with it as is.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, AHPZuazua said:

Hello. I have an S2 and no lens. Is the 70 without upgrade lens ok to buy. How much is the price for new AF in the 70? 

See post #3 above regarding price for new AF motor. The S70 is (relatively) small and light, it renders nicely without being optically perfect - and it is highly recommended. It would be wise to include the cost of eventual af repair when considering buying a used lens with old/original af motor. 

56 minutes ago, helged said:

See post #3 above regarding price for new AF motor. The S70 is (relatively) small and light, it renders nicely without being optically perfect - and it is highly recommended. It would be wise to include the cost of eventual af repair when considering buying a used lens with old/original af motor. 

Hello. Thank you for the reply. I did not see a price for a 70 repair. I saw one for S-30 a few years back from approx 230 non USD. I was asking for a 70.

Are you saying the price is the same regardless of the lens. 

My Leica prophylactic replacement of the lens motors for S 70, S100, S120, S180  each cost $285 USD, April 2021.  My S24 was $325. (I do not know why there was a  price difference for the S24). The lenses were working fine, but I figured it was a good time to send in several S lenses because of covid lockdowns.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ropo54 said:

My Leica prophylactic replacement of the lens motors for S 70, S100, S120, S180  each cost $285 USD, April 2021.  My S24 was $325. (I do not know why there was a  price difference for the S24). The lenses were working fine, but I figured it was a good time to send in several S lenses because of covid lockdowns.  

Who did you send them through?  Iirc my lens was $400, so perhaps there’s shipping charges applied. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darylgo said:

Who did you send them through?  Iirc my lens was $400, so perhaps there’s shipping charges applied. 

DarylGo: The lenses were sent to Leica in February 2021 and returned in April and May 2021.  

At the outset, Leica NJ sent me shipping labels (FedEx), but I believe that I absorbed the shipping costs to NJ. Once in NJ and "looked at" , they were forwarded to Germany for the "repair". A repair estimate was provided before the work was done, and once completed, payment was made by credit card. Germany returned them to NJ, and they were returned to me in Florida.  They came back piecemeal, as each lens was completed; it was not a bulk return. No charges were involved in the return to me.

Rob

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, AHPZuazua said:

I bought an S 70 with AF replaced. Shot some images at the beach from the Pier. Is the filter size of 82 a real 82mm. Is there something I should be looking out for. 

Thank you for the feedback

Standard 82mm screw-on filter will fit, no problem. For wide angle lenses, thin screw-on filters are recommended to limit vignetting. Most people prefer square filter systems, or no filters at all.