Adjusting The Contrast Of A Scanned Image

Stealth3kpl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

42 minutes ago, 250swb said:

Ah yes, correct, a scanner, I didn't pick up that you'd changed the subject in a thread about scanned images, silly me. But there is software available as a PS plugin, such as ColorPerfect that will convert negative to positive for you, or as I said use the 'INVERT IMAGE' button in PS to convert a negative to a positive or even a positive to a negative, your choice, it's all at your fingertips.

I apologize for my inadvertent thread-drift and appreciate this information, too.

Just to push the thread further in the wrong direction, I'd be remiss in not mentioning that Negative Lab Pro (for Lightroom, not Photoshop) is considered an outstanding preset for color correction of negatives. 

• Thanks 1

I certainly don't mind if the thread veers off haha. Thanks for bring up Negative Lab Pro. I gave it a go recently but found it to be a little bit too convoluted and I didn't think it was much simpler than ColorPerfect. I have seen good results from it, though.

C41 films are interesting from a colour-correction perspective. Sometimes an image which is off colour-wise after inversion will look much better if one just adjusts the black and white points in ACR. 

On 4/29/2020 at 11:42 PM, bags27 said:

I apologize for my inadvertent thread-drift and appreciate this information, too.

Just to push the thread further in the wrong direction, I'd be remiss in not mentioning that Negative Lab Pro (for Lightroom, not Photoshop) is considered an outstanding preset for color correction of negatives. 

• Thanks 1

The last couple of films I have scanned have been T grain films, and my results seem much better than with traditional films like TriX and Neopan. Maybe I'm exposing the scene better now with my spot meter, or maybe it's because T grain films are easier to scan. Either way, I've been chuffed with the last couple of attempts. It's just a shame the images had no interest haha

Pete

• Haha 1

My version:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Which involves these settings in LR

Plus, the addition of medium contrast via the Tone Curve pane, and an adjustment brush on six of the faces (#1,2,3,4,7,8 going L to R) to add the following:

• Like 1

I develop film for scanning, so I'm used to my negatives looking dull. I just do what it takes to make them look alive. My all-out version would look like this:

Edited by chrism
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

my 2 ct

I use my classical way in PS with a lot of layers and masks. But I found it always exiting to see how many different possibilities are there.

Best regards

Frank

• Like 1

My version would pronounce the people, as I think the clouds and landscape are only a frame for the group, rather than the main stars. So I think an overall lighter appearance of the framing landscape would be my choice. 

My changes:

And the result:

Thanks for letting us all play with your file! This is a very interesting thing to do, as everyone of us has another perception and very different workflow. Maybe we should do this more often to learn from each other.

• Like 5

On 5/16/2020 at 9:44 AM, Sparkassenkunde said:

This is a very interesting thing to do, as everyone of us has another perception and very different workflow. Maybe we should do this more often to learn from each other.

Yes, I hoped it would be an interesting exercise. I've enjoyed seeing the different interpretations and learning a thing or two.

Pete