CLA for M9

Edwin Ho

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I plan to send my M9 to Leica in Australia for a CLA. Some of you would have done a CLA for your Leica rangefinders and I would like hear from your experience on this matter - in particular if there was any difference after the CLA.

The M9 was purchased used from my Leica dealer in Perth, Australia in 2012; sensor replacement was done in 2015; it has not been heavily used.

The idea of a CLA was to make sure everything in the M9 is performing as expected. I plan to keep the M9 for along time ahead.

Edited by Edwin Ho

Edwin Ho,  The official Leica repair facility in Australia is Camera Clinic in Melbourne.  You will see their business address on the Leica Camera AG Australia website.  I can attest they do excellent work.  The answer to your question for a CLA is IMO, Yes.  I send in my M cameras every 2-3 years for a CLA.  They will do a thorough CLA based on Leica specifications.  I had my M9, 2 Monochrom(s) and M240 CLA'd there and couldn't be more happy.  They are returning my CLA'd 90mm Elmarit now as it was out of specification.  One of the most important aspects of the CLA is ensuring the rangefinder is in specification.  Both myself and tech would highly recommend if you have a 50 Noctilux, the technician would really like to make sure your M9 rangefinder and 50 Noctilux are spot on.  It is encouraged you send both the camera and lens.  If no Noctilux, just send your camera body and Camera Clinic will do their magic.  If they do find something that is out of the CLA sphere of work, they will contact you and discuss the issue.  No work is done without your consent.  I think you will be pleased.  Hope this helps. r/ Mark

PS The number for CC:  03 9419 5247

Edited by LeicaR10
Clarification
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all who cautioned the need for CLA.

Just came off the phone with Camera Clinic who is the Leica approved service centre in Australia.

I was advised the head technician was Leica trained (no reason for me to doubt).

At a cost of AUD 250.00 - 350.00 I am inclined to have a CLA just to have peace of mind.

For your information. On Leica's website there is a description of what is included in the 'free overhaul' included for an M9 which is sent in for sensor replacement. I've pasted the relevant information below::

"In addition to this, the programme also includes a free general overhaul* of your Leica M camera and a one year warranty with the same terms as for new products. This offer expresses our commitment to conserving the value of your camera."

*The general overhaul of the Leica M camera includes the following items:

• Cleaning and overhaul of the shutter cocking mechanisms
• Cleaning and maintenance/repair of the multifunction wheel 
• Cleaning of the main switch and shutter speed dial 
• Adjustment of the baseplate locking system 
• Refurbishment of engravings 
• Renewal of the protective film on the baseplate 
• Maintenance/repair of viewfinder displays

All that said, I am also of the opinion that its only worth servicing a digital camera which has a problem needing fixing anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/20/2020 at 12:30 PM, ianman said:

+1 on this and that.

+2 on this and that... makes no sense to send a camera for service when everything is running as expected. But if he wants to burn 350 bucks for no reason, is his money. 

I think if you send a perfectly fine camera in for service there's a good chance it may come back with some problem. Just pulling something apart and putting it back together introduces the chance of human error etc., or dust on the sensor, not to mention damage or loss in transit (if you 're not delivering it personally). Remote chances maybe but chances all the same.

Of course it's entirely up to the OP what he chooses to do.

• Like 2

I do really appreciate all the cautions advised and I am certain all were well intended.

Following my original post, I would very much like to hear from others who have done a CLA on their rangefinder.

Been using M’s since the 80’s and never needed or paid for a CLA. Since going to digital Ms in 2009, I once received a (free) calibration check on an M240 and 3 lenses after documenting a focusing issue. I did buy a mint used (M9) Monochrom last year that had just received a sensor replacement... and the dealer paid for that and the servicing that routinely accompanies such a repair. I don’t anticipate problems going forward. And in the absence of problems, no need to waste my money on servicing.  I carry insurance for any major issue (or loss) not covered by warranty; that’s peace of mind.

Jeff

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Edwin Ho said:

I do really appreciate all the cautions advised and I am certain all were well intended.

Following my original post, I would very much like to hear from others who have done a CLA on their rangefinder.

I had a CLA in Wetzlar for my M9 after I bought the MM1 when it came out. This was necessary because the rangefinder adjustments were not equal for both camera’s and I found my SAA 90mm could do better on the M9. I had to bring in all my lenses and it was a lot of ado, took me the whole day back and forth between me and the technician. I was happy in the end and still am. But I wouldn’t get into that if it is not really necessary. 
Isn’t it a bit the idea that you want to pamper your M9 since you decided not to step over to a more recent M? If so, well, buy a nice silk strap for it from Art and Artisans, half the price of a CLA.

Edited by otto.f

Spot on Lot, but then of course you are in psychology 😊.  I have since decided to keep the M9 instead of considering later M options. Yes you are absolutely right, I am pampering my M9.

I did not like the AA strap but bought myself the latest Peak Design strap for small mirrorless cameras; I like the PD strap (functional) and I do have other straps too for my DSLR and heavy lenses.

1 hour ago, Edwin Ho said:

Spot on Lot, but then of course you are in psychology 😊.  I have since decided to keep the M9 instead of considering later M options. Yes you are absolutely right, I am pampering my M9.

I did not like the AA strap but bought myself the latest Peak Design strap for small mirrorless cameras; I like the PD strap (functional) and I do have other straps too for my DSLR and heavy lenses.

Well, a beep or a boop then? https://lfi-online.de/ceemes/en/shop/beep-o-s-l-boop-o-s-l-soft-release-button-1000956.html

I have 2 x M9s, both with replacement sensors, so I assume both have had CLAs. One has had the replacement sensor during my ownership, the other had been repaired and fitted with a replacement sensor then, just before I bought it. Both work fine and the rangefinders are identical as regards focus. Less is, IMO, definitely more. M9s don't really need pampering. If anything, like other cameras, they need using, which is IMO the best way of keeping them running smoothly (which reminds me that I must use my back-up body more). Enjoy your great M9!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was fortunate enough to get 3 M9s all with recent documented sensor replacements and all are tip-top. I did however get an M2 which turned out to have been little used over the years so wasn't functioning correctly. I had that serviced/cla'd and it is fine now.

• Thanks 1