Lab Box from Ars Imago

Bohns

I have used one of the many different versions of the product it is copying (Rondinax). If it's the same as the others, it will do it's job but as it only does one film at a time it's not very efficient in time or chemicals used and it needs constant agitation. I used it 3 or 4 times then back to standard tanks.

There are other threads on the topic.

Edited by ianman

2 hours ago, ianman said:

I have used one of the many different versions of the product it is copying (Rondinax). If it's the same as the others, it will do it's job but as it only does one film at a time it's not very efficient in time or chemicals used and it needs constant agitation. I used it 3 or 4 times then back to standard tanks.

There are other threads on the topic.

I had the same experience.

Pete

It's a bit of a gimmick, an old idea re-purposed to allegedly make processing easier while it's easy enough in the first place. A film tank and changing tent situated on the kitchen table is far and away going to be more efficient in the long run. The only downside to a changing tent or changing bag is the overwhelming need to scratch your nose when your arms are inside it. If going for a tent or bag buy the largest size practical.

• Haha 1

I use one and like it, I don't have one of the older original versions. Its quicker and easier than the using a changing bag (for me). The only downside is using 500ml of chemicals rather than 300ml. I still agitate for 10 seconds every minute. I could use 300ml but don't want to do continuous agitation. 

On 4/23/2020 at 8:28 PM, Ouroboros said:

.....and the ‘phone ringing.

Nothing worse than your cellphone in your pocket while in the dark loading your film into the tank, Sods Law says it will ring, for sure.

Changing bag is way safer in that respect. 

Gary

3 hours ago, mdp said:

I use one and like it, I don't have one of the older original versions. Its quicker and easier than the using a changing bag (for me). The only downside is using 500ml of chemicals rather than 300ml. I still agitate for 10 seconds every minute. I could use 300ml but don't want to do continuous agitation. 

The Rondix 35 uses 200ml, so is nearly as efficient as a Jobo...

• 5 months later...

I had one of the old Rondinax 35mm tanks years ago and liked it -- wish I had never sold it!  I recently bought one of the new LAB-BOX tanks from Ars-Imago and have used it for both 35mm and 120 film.  It's easy to load and the only real disadvantage is that you can only do one roll at a time.  The LAB-BOX works well . . . I prefer it over the changing bag routine.