cl: did i choose wisely?

Above 35mm coding is rather insignificant on an M, and I don’t see the use of it on a smaller than FF sensor. On top of that, especially if it’s a classic Leica lens, I prefer its original ‘flaws’. 

Edited by otto.f

Coding is useless on the CL. Even if you mount a coded lens, it will still bring up a lens choice menu for the focal length plus a complete list of lens profiles. (Which can be set to Auto)  you can just as well use the list that comes up with an uncoded lens. 

Coding is useful on the CL for me. Coded M lenses bringup a lens choice contrary to uncoded ones so there is no need to scroll down the profiles list to find the right lens. I mean with Leica adapters of course as others don't bring up lens profiles AFAIK. I have no experience with non Leica adapters though.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, lct said:

Coding is useful on the CL for me. Coded M lenses bringup a lens choice contrary to uncoded ones so there is no need to scroll down the profiles list to find the right lens. I mean with Leica adapters of course as others don't bring up lens profiles AFAIK. I have no experience with non Leica adapters though.

I agree 100%. Unless you are meticulous in selecting the M-lens being adapted, when using uncoded objectives, you have no historical trace of lens used when reviewing your picture library.  I accept this feature might be unimportant for some users. However, it does eliminate guesswork when asked what lens was used.

9 hours ago, wda said:

I agree 100%. Unless you are meticulous in selecting the M-lens being adapted, when using uncoded objectives, you have no historical trace of lens used when reviewing your picture library.  I accept this feature might be unimportant for some users. However, it does eliminate guesswork when asked what lens was used.

But the point is that you have to select the lens anyway...

Summicron 35 /coded mounted:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, jaapv said:

But the point is that you have to select the lens anyway...

Summicron 35 /coded mounted:

Just a bug of the digital CL which cannot recognize coded 35/2 and 35/1.4 pre-asph lenses, otherwise you do not have to select a lens at all. 

got the leica m-adapter in just now. i'm going to have to make another 2--3 passes through the manual to  make sure i know how to shoot with a totally manual lens but i was led to understand that the adapter allowed for automatic magnification for focusing with peaking but it's not doing it nor does up arrow work. it worked with my tl lens. i made a pass through the menu system and i have the focus assist turned on. whether it matters or not since the lens isn't coded, i did select the lens i was using.

what am i missing?

later note: found the manual entry p43-44 which said that the right wheel would change the magnification. it doesn't. the left wheel does magnify, but that's as bad as having to hit the up arrow. the manual also says the center button on the d-pad changes magnification, it doesn't. the manual also says you can't use peaking and magnification simultaneously, but i see some peaking dots in the magnified image.

it seems obvious that firmware updates have change the operation and the manual hasn't been updated. so how can i get auto magnification? and why isn't there a setting to determine how long the image stays magnified. i'm still reading and testing, but so far i'm totally confused.

tks, /guy

Edited by gteague

15 minutes ago, gteague said:

got the leica m-adapter l just now. i'm going to have to make another 2--3 passes through the manual to  make sure i know how to shoot with a totally manual lens but i was led to understand that the adapter allowed for automatic magnification for focusing with peaking but it's not doing it nor does up arrow work. it worked with my tl lens. i made a pass through the menu system and i have the focus assist turned on. whether it matters or not since the lens isn't coded, i did select the lens i was using.

what am i missing?

later note: found the manual entry p43 which said that the right wheel would change the magnification. it doesn't. the left wheel does magnify, but that's as bad as having to hit the up arrow. the manual also says the center button on the d-pad changes magnification, it doesn't. the manual also says you can't use peaking and magnification simultaneous, but i see some peaking dots in the magnified image.

it seems obvious that firmware updates have change the operation and the manual hasn't been updated. so how can i get auto magnification? and why isn't there a setting to determine how long the image stays magnified. i'm still reading and testing, but so far i'm totally confused.

tks, /guy

Guy,  try rotating the right wheel.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wda said:

yes, i said the right wheel doesn't do what the manual says and i likely changed the behavior as i wanted ev comp to always be on the right wheel. the left wheel does magnify the image, but that means i have to remove my left eye in order to get my thumb in there and i was under the impression that purchasing the leica adapter would give me auto magnification when i turned the focus ring. 

but now i see that the lens would need to be coded because the camera isn't going to know when the focus ring is turned. no one mentioned that when they were saying the lens coding didn't matter. losing exif and the auto magnification is a pretty significant downside.

btw, who was complaining about having to scroll through the lens list? if you go to the bottom of that list you can turn off all the lenses you don't use. quite handy if you change lenses often i'd say.

/guy

Edited by gteague

so here's the 3rd image i took with my 'new' 50 summicron. the reason it's the 3rd one and not the first is why i suddenly have a new appreciation for the skill needed to take pet pictures using manual focus. auto focus was a life saver for me and i've virtually never looked back except for some photos of celestial images where manual focus to infinity was more efficient and accurate.

the problem with focus on the cats was that the peaking hit the whiskers or the top of the head and by the time i'd zero in on the eye, the cat would turn his head. this is why i needed the magnification feature which i just  figured out how to do manually with the left wheel, but i thought it was supposed to automatically magnify.

anyway, 2 of the 3 i took had sharp eyes, but this one was the best. no exif (arggggh!) but it was either f2 or f4. i think i stopped down to f4 when i realized how shallow the dof was going to be at f2 at the closest distance the lens could focus.

/guy

42 minutes ago, wda said:

+1. Not a big deal. This way you can use the right wheel for magnification with any lens, coded or not, provided you have a Leica adapter. Try: Main Menu 4 > Customize Control > Wheel Assignment > Right Wheel : Magnification.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lct said:

+1. Not a big deal. This way you can use the right wheel for magnification with any lens, coded or not, provided you have a Leica adapter. Try: Main Menu 4 > Customize Control > Wheel Assignment > Right Wheel : Magnification.

tks, i'll experiment. but i want the right wheel to be exp comp all the time for consistency. i'm left eyed and the left wheel is basically useless to me since if i'm using the evf, i have to poke myself in the right eye to use the left wheel. but i don't normally use /A/ priority and now am forced to use it or /M/ with the m lenses, so i'll re-evaluate those settings. tks! /guy

Edited by gteague

i thought i'd found the problem. there's a function you can assign called 'auto magnification'. i assigned it to the /fn/ button and set it to /ON/ and it still doesn't work. either i'm chasing some (ass)umption i've made as to whether it's supposed to work with an adapted lens, or i'm missing something in the settings.

for now i've assigned it to the right wheel. hopefully someone who knows for sure that it works (or doesn't work) and how to set it up will weigh in. /guy

Edited by gteague

You cannot do auto magnification with the CL and M lenses because there is no link between the focus cam of the lens and the CL body. You would need an M camera for that. As for using the right wheel of the CL you may wish to try what i suggested above. Works fine for me. I do it all the time with all my M and LTM lenses, coded and uncoded.

• Like 1

We each have our own methods. For manual lenses, coupled via the adapter, I am usually in Manual mode and have no need for exposure compensation. I retain full control of exposure and have focusing aids which make it even simpler than using a rangefinder to get accurate focus.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wda said:

We each have our own methods. For manual lenses, coupled via the adapter, I am usually in Manual mode and have no need for exposure compensation. I retain full control of exposure and have focusing aids which make it even simpler than using a rangefinder to get accurate focus.

You may have full control of exposure in auto iso + manual mode as well. Then exp comp allows you to adjust exposure while keeping the same shutter speed and aperture if needed.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, lct said:

You cannot do auto magnification with the CL and M lenses because there is no link between the focus cam of the lens and the CL body. You would need an M camera for that. As for using the right wheel of the CL you may wish to try what i suggested above. Works fine for me. I do it all the time with all my M and LTM lenses, coded and uncoded.

tks, at least i can stop knocking myself out for missing something obvious! and yeah, with the addition of a manual lens i'm going to have to re-think some of my control and fn choices. i had the right button set up with a list of functions, but the one usually selected is focus mode or the ael/afl lock mode. the /fn/ button usually toggles photo style to go from b&w to color quickly. the right wheel is exp comp and i usually try to ignore the left wheel because it's right where my right eye is when using the evf with my left eye.

but since the /fn/ and right button support a list of 8 functions, i can set things up differently for manual lenses. but it seems that the lack of coding on this lens renders the very expensive m to l adapter no better than a $20 one with no function except for the quality difference. if i didn't have another lens coming, one that is coded, i might be tempted to return it. and it's the 75mm summarit with the short focus ring throw and it'll need all the focus aid help it can get.

i'll give /M/ mode a try and compare it with /A/ for ease of use and flexibility. tks to both of you for that suggestion. 

/guy

Edited by gteague

44 minutes ago, gteague said:

tks, at least i can stop knocking myself out for missing something obvious! and yeah, with the addition of a manual lens i'm going to have to re-think some of my control and fn choices. i had the right button set up with a list of functions, but the one usually selected is focus mode or the ael/afl lock mode. the /fn/ button usually toggles photo style to go from b&w to color quickly. the right wheel is exp comp and i usually try to ignore the left wheel because it's right where my right eye is when using the evf with my left eye.

but since the /fn/ and right button support a list of 8 functions, i can set things up differently for manual lenses. but it seems that the lack of coding on this lens renders the very expensive m to l adapter no better than a $20 one with no function except for the quality difference. if i didn't have another lens coming, one that is coded, i might be tempted to return it. and it's the 75mm summarit with the short focus ring throw and it'll need all the focus aid help it can get.

i'll give /M/ mode a try and compare it with /A/ for ease of use and flexibility. tks to both of you for that suggestion. 

/guy

The Leica adapter is the only one allowing to trigger focus magnification with the top wheels.  I would not have purchased the CL without that. Otherwise i only use M and LTM lenses so i have no experience with L lenses at all sorry.