Advertisement (gone after registration)

I haven't had a "freeze up" in over a year until the other day. I mistakenly left the live view on for quite some time. The camera isn't designed for a constant live view function and operators best only turn this function on when needed. Its not like the SL's where live view or EVF can sustain constant operation. Even with the SL I have "power off" after 5 minutes setting to conserve battery. One wouldn't leave the M10/M11 live view function on constantly if the battery drain was heavy. The M10M camera gets warm and crashes when live view is left unattended for periods.   

Best

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ken Abrahams said:

I haven't had a "freeze up" in over a year until the other day. I mistakenly left the live view on for quite some time. The camera isn't designed for a constant live view function and operators best only turn this function on when needed. Its not like the SL's where live view or EVF can sustain constant operation. Even with the SL I have "power off" after 5 minutes setting to conserve battery. One wouldn't leave the M10/M11 live view function on constantly if the battery drain was heavy. The M10M camera gets warm and crashes when live view is left unattended for periods.   

Best

but the question remains, why leica doesnt fix this issue, one way or another, maybe some auto live view switch off function?

well i dont think its temperature anyway, since in most cases the use of a different sd card helps, temporarily, i guess it has something to do with the buffer

I don't think it is temperature either, I had it freeze up when I was outside shooting in a blizzard, literally. And although I use LV almost exclusively, I always turn it off between shots, which means it hasn't frozen up in a long time. Something to do with LV though.

Hi Gerbs, shooting in a blizzard sounds cold.😀 All of the times my M10M has frozen up (at the moment it "freezes"), the camera is quite warm to touch. If the camera has been crashed for some time without knowing it, the heat has dissipated - after the event. I guess in the blizzard its pretty cold and you have mittens on? I dont know, I have never been in a blizzard but it sounds as though it must have been freezing.  

Best

Ken   

Am 29.4.2022 um 12:53 schrieb Ken Abrahams:

Hi Gerbs, shooting in a blizzard sounds cold.😀 All of the times my M10M has frozen up (at the moment it "freezes"), the camera is quite warm to touch. If the camera has been crashed for some time without knowing it, the heat has dissipated - after the event. I guess in the blizzard its pretty cold and you have mittens on? I dont know, I have never been in a blizzard but it sounds as though it must have been freezing.  

Best

Ken   

This matches my observations. Camera freezes up when I forgot to turn off LV and the camera got warm.
I am using a 32GB SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC U3 10 (95 MB/sec.) card.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nilei said:

This matches my observations. Camera freezes up when I forgot to turn off LV and the camera got warm.
I am using a 32GB SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC U3 10 (95 MB/sec.) card.

i have been walking through beijing in summer, at least in my case its definitely not the heat

• 3 weeks later...

I had a lock up after leaving a EFV on. Switching to a fresh battery did nothing.

so I switched batteries again , nothing.

so I consulted this thread. No one had yet reported my problem.

so I tried to turn it on one more time. Red flashing LED and camera tuned on!

conclusion: just consult forum while camera sits.

• Haha 1

I use my M10-R and M10 Monochrom in RF mode only and have never experienced a lock-up of any kind, even in freezing and hot temps. Fortunately my SL2, which serves as my EVF body, has also been reliable in all sorts of weather.  I consider myself fortunate based on these and other reports, and would not want to deal with US Leica service.  

Jeff

• Like 2

8 hours ago, brill64 said:

For those members whom have experienced monochrome lockups, has anyone continued to experience lockups after updating to the new firmware?

M10M owner, updated to the latest firmware (the visoflex 2 firmware) and I had two lockups since then. Both times the lockup occurred while pressing the live view button. I tend to turn live view on/off a lot to conserve battery when I'm out walking. The camera was manufactured around 10 - 12 months ago if I remember correctly. I think in both cases the live view screen was stuck in the "on" setting and I had to pull the battery to get it to turn off. 

Edited by Crem

• 2 weeks later...

Good day all. 

I am a relatively new M10M owner having used an M10R for a while. I’ve read thru the previous entries with interest as my M10M will also occasionally freeze for no apparent reason. I have multiple batteries (I’ve found that is a necessity when shooting an M10) and use the SanDisk 128gb UHS-II SD (which I used in the M10R with no issue). All images are downloaded on the day they are shot and the SD card is formatted in camera. 
At first I thought it might be that the buffer filled and could not write to the SD fast enough. But today, taking single frames, the camera again froze. 

Curious if any of the previously suggested fixes have yielded positive results. Thanks  

Best, Ken

• 3 months later...

My M10M seemingly bricked. No red led on when turning camera on.

changed to fresh battery, still nothing.

Read this thread again.

Tried pulling SD card out, and camera turned on saying no card!

Put new card in, camera fine.

Thank you forum.

I remembered the last thing I did with the camera when switching batteries was accidentally brushing against the SD card which released it flying across the room. Maybe the fall damaged it somehow?

• 1 year later...

I've been fighting the freeze-up issue for two years -- it first happened after owning the camera for only a month.  It's been back to Leica for repairs twice, yet it still freezes.  At both the dealer's and Leica's suggestion, I've varied batteries, memory cards, lenses, accessories (Leica even felt the soft release button I was using may have been the problem -- it wasn't) and there is no common element; except that I firmly feel it has something to do with Live View.  The repair facility in New Jersey has now stopped responding to my emails advising them, after two failed repair attempts, the camera is still freezing.  I've been a loyal Leica customer since the M6 days, but now feel abandoned.

Freezes are rare for me now. I do pretty much all my shooting with Live View, and usually on a tripod. What I started doing was turning Live View off immediately after taking a shot, unless I was taking a series. That seems to keep the camera happier. I have had freezes in winter, and in summer, so I don't think temperature has a thing to do with it. I think it is a software issue that is particularly sneaky, and thus not easily reproducible and thus probably never to be solved. Taking the battery out has always fixed it for me.

Thanks, Gerbs.  Taking the battery out always fixes it for me, too -- unless I don't notice the frozen state and the battery is drained by the constant Live View.  That's happened twice.  I release the shutter and don't notice the camera is frozen (hard to tell if you don't try to release the shutter again right away) and, when I try to take another shot a bit later... no electrons left.  😒

I use the camera most often when I'm hiking.  I'm usually wearing gloves and the camera is in its half-case.  This means taking off my gloves, finding the quarter I always carry with the camera now, unscrewing the half case, remove the bottom plate, drop the battery, reinsert the battery and then reassemble everything.

If it wasn't such a magnificent camera (when working!) I'd probably give up on it.

I'm disappointed that Leica hasn't been able to determine the problem and fix it and that they seem to just want to ignore it.