Advertisement (gone after registration)

For what it’s worth, I have not had a lock up yet.  I also have not shot the camera for hours yet, but have used it for at least 15-20 mins a day. Two batteries and two SD cards, formatted only in camera. I’ve probably shot about 500 images. 

The cards I use are new Sandisk Extreme Pro 64 GB. 

SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I Card

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H9J1YXN/

As cards get cheaper and cheaper, it's useful to keep them write-once, write-only, as film.  They would also serve as backup.  My DAM workflow includes the number of the card, e.g. my most recent one is stored in a folder named 984_B8260-8509, card number 984, Monochrom 246 encoded as B (the M10M will be W), last four digits of the image files range following. That folder is synced into Lr CC as 20Apr13_984, with the date being the date of the first image on the card.  I'm using year/month/card structure both on disk and in the cloud.  (Have to create collection sets separately in Lr Classic and Lr CC).

I'm not reusing cards since 2012, pushing a 1,000, and settled upon brands that work well with the cameras.  San Disk Extreme Pro and Lexar and Transcend all work well.  For 24mp I'm using 16gb cards that form a nice chunk of a day.  For the SL2 I use 32gb or 64gb cards.  Originally I used 8gb for M246 which was plenty for stills but once I discovered the video, 16gb is better or even 32gb.  For the M10M I'll probably stick with the 32gb fast Lexars.

Edited by setuporg

1 hour ago, setuporg said:

As cards get cheaper and cheaper, it's useful to keep them write-once, write-only, as film.  They would also serve as backup.  My DAM workflow includes the number of the card, e.g. my most recent one is stored in a folder named 984_B8260-8509, card number 984, Monochrom 246 encoded as B (the M10M will be W), last four digits of the image files range following. That folder is synced into Lr CC as 20Apr13_984, with the date being the date of the first image on the card.  I'm using year/month/card structure both on disk and in the cloud.  (Have to create collection sets separately in Lr Classic and Lr CC).

I'm not reusing cards since 2012, pushing a 1,000, and settled upon brands that work well with the cameras.  San Disk Extreme Pro and Lexar and Transcend all work well.  For 24mp I'm using 16gb cards that form a nice chunk of a day.  For the SL2 I use 32gb or 64gb cards.  Originally I used 8gb for M246 which was plenty for stills but once I discovered the video, 16gb is better or even 32gb.  For the M10M I'll probably stick with the 32gb fast Lexars.

1 hour ago, tgray said:

For what it’s worth, I have not had a lock up yet.  I also have not shot the camera for hours yet, but have used it for at least 15-20 mins a day. Two batteries and two SD cards, formatted only in camera. I’ve probably shot about 500 images. 

The cards I use are new Sandisk Extreme Pro 64 GB. 

SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I Card

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H9J1YXN/

Hoo boy, the idea of using the cards as write once, permanent records is appealing... I'll have to see how that theory works out in practice. Perhaps a combination method, save all the possibles, delete all the junk, fill up the card and then move on. One thing I've learned over the years is to not be precious about my work. Certainly your method makes a great deal of sense if you are doing a lot of work for clients, or documenting travels. I will think long and hard about these good suggestions.

setuporg, do you save only the DNG file when you shoot, or do you save JPG as well?

37 minutes ago, Gerbs said:

Hoo boy, the idea of using the cards as write once, permanent records is appealing... I'll have to see how that theory works out in practice. Perhaps a combination method, save all the possibles, delete all the junk, fill up the card and then move on. One thing I've learned over the years is to not be precious about my work. Certainly your method makes a great deal of sense if you are doing a lot of work for clients, or documenting travels. I will think long and hard about these good suggestions.

setuporg, do you save only the DNG file when you shoot, or do you save JPG as well?

I shoot DNG+JPG to be sure I have the in-camera JPGs saved.  Processing changes and manufacturer knows best how to convert.  Lightroom stacks them together nicely.  If Monochrom is like B+W film, then the card is film and must be treated as such.:). And if we ever get M10M-D, then it will be even closer an analogy...

6 minutes ago, Ken Abrahams said:

The camera freeze which occurred once only since February was when the live view was left on. I may have inadvertently bumped the live view button and the camera became hot. When attempting a shot the camera froze. 

I find that I am mostly using Live View instead of the rangefinder (and loving the process for the kind of pictures I take). I turn it off between shots to cut battery usage, but sometimes forget for a while. It does seem like all of my freezes (only maybe 4 total) have involved Live View in some way. It may be some odd interaction with Live View and UHS-II in the SD card. It's kind of a fun mystery, since it is rare (quick, where's some wood to knock on?). Your comment highlighted for me the possibility of Live View contributing. Thanks.

@Gerbs -

A while back, I had corrupt file problems with Lexar memory cards in my M-P 240 which has not happened since I started using SanDisk cards.  I got the Lexar cards from a reputable dealer (B&H Photo) so I doubt that I had counterfeit cards, as some Amazon customers have.  Or maybe my M-P 240 just didn't like Lexar cards or they didn't like my M-P 240.  Sometimes trying a different  brand of memory card solves the problem.

As others have observed, deleting images off the card in camera can cause problems.  My approach is to simply uncheck the images that I don't want prior to importing them in Lightroom.

I have read that you want to format your memory cards in camera only, not in your computer. Jaapv suggested using SD Formatter which should not be an issue, if you then format your memory card in the camera before shooting.

You also want to use a memory card that has sufficient read/write speed for your camera.  The SanDisk 170 mb/sec. SDXC cards I use with my Q2 are rated at a read speed of  170 MB/s Maximum (burst) and a write speed of 90 MB/s Maximum (burst) which seems to be fine for my usage (I do not shoot sports or other events where burst shooting of multiple images is necessary, though).  The SanDisk 300 mb/sec. cards are higher performance, but are somewhat costly.  Maybe you can use the 170 mb/sec. cards in your M10 Monochrom without having freeze-ups due to a data log jam between the camera's buffer and the memory card; if so, I would go that route.

Hope some of this will be helpful...

Edited by Herr Barnack

I have had similar lockups since February.  The lockups  seem to occur when I forget to turn off the battery for an extended period while walking.  I may have an electrical/thermal problem that can be offset temporarily by turning the battery off after every single photo is taken.  The camera has had daily use since it arrived and I suspect that the camera does not deal well with the heat from constant use.  Otherwise it is the best camera that I have had.  Will report any findings here.  Happy shooting to all.

6 hours ago, tedtrimmer said:

I have had similar lockups since February.  The lockups  seem to occur when I forget to turn off the battery for an extended period while walking.  I may have an electrical/thermal problem that can be offset temporarily by turning the battery off after every single photo is taken.  The camera has had daily use since it arrived and I suspect that the camera does not deal well with the heat from constant use.  Otherwise it is the best camera that I have had.  Will report any findings here.  Happy shooting to all.

Do you happen to use Live View at all? The camera should go to sleep, so leaving it on shouldn't be any concern, as far as I know. I do turn it off occasionally while out shooting, but also leave it on.

9 hours ago, setuporg said:

Really not sure why one would use Live View.  Except for 24mm or wider or 90mm or longer.  On the M246 there's video and it's actually useful for video...

Ahhh, a purist of another sort! Here's what I love about Live View: 1. The Level Gauge for landscape photography. 2. The ability to shoot from higher, lower, and leaning positions. 3. The histogram preview with half shutter press (this is probably my primary satisfaction). 4. Highlighted clipping both high and low helps to balance out exactly where you choose to position the histogram. 5. Critical focus when choosing where and how to move the range of focus, or to ensure your absolutely required focus. 6. Careful positioning of the edges of the frame.

The Focus Button on the front of the camera, the Thumbwheel on the back, and the Center Button of Menu Navigation Controller make using Live View quite speedy... relatively. I'll grant you that there's not a lot of spontaneity to my process this way, for me the spontaneity comes in walking and looking and seeing something that is somehow moving. Then I settle in to try to recreate that wonder in the camera.

Am 18. April 2020 um 17:00 schrieb Gerbs:

Has anyone else been experiencing the occasional need to remove the battery to reboot the M10 Monochrom? I'll notice that it won't let me take a picture, pushing the shutter half down won't show the histogram, and sometimes (I think it's just sometimes) Live View is stuck on.

I've shot about 450 pictures (not all keepers, LOL) in the past 3 weeks, and this has happened around 4 times. I think there might be a sequence that causes it, but I'm not sure yet. I have been using Live View a huge amount, turning it off after the shot to preserve battery life, and often turning off the camera. Sometimes the camera won't even turn off, I've got to take out the battery.

Anyone else?

Hi there,

I have had similar problems with my brand-new M-10M since February. Actually, my M-10M locked up displaying "SD", which meant that it wasn't able to access the SD card. So I bought a bunch of new cards, all Lexar, Sandisk and Transcend, different sizes, different speeds. Some days everything was o.k., but all of a sudden, the freeze-up returned, right in the middle of a model shooting. I contacted my dealer, but in the shop the camera didn't fail (as usual ;-). So we contacted Leica Wetzlar, but they were of no help. Instructed me to insert the SD card correctly, to format it a.s.o. (if the camera freezes, you can't even format the card, even taking the battery out didn't always help. I had 2 new batteries and of course would have liked to blame the battery, but of course that was not the problem. Contacts also were clean, as camera and card and batteries were out of the box...

I have to add that I am professional sports photographer in Germany, I have been shooting Champions League Football, tennis, gymnastics etc on a daily basis (well, Corona stopped that!!!). Just to let you know that I exchange cards in my Nikons approx. 40-50 times a day (we have to transmit photos near to immediately and if our cameras are not in a network, we are still forced to insert the card into the notebook reader). I shoot around 5-10,000 shots with different camera bodies, and have had no problem at all with my cards on the Nikon (apart from 2001 with an IBM Microdrive which I had in my trousers and then in the washing machine...;--)

On the Internet I didn't find any reports on freezes, but I guess that not many M-10M customers use their Leica daily, so they won't experience problems.

Of course I installed the Firmware Update right on the first day I got my M-10M (another clever hint of the Leica Customer Service).

Finally, after 3 weeks of use and disappointment, my dealer (who actually is a fellow sports photographer but earns some extra money in a Leica shop) made it possible to exchange my faulty M-10M.

Since that time, I had only 2 freezes, and they were not card related (they didn't show "SD"). These freezes were similar to what you described. LV was in use when it happened. But taking battery out and in again solved the problem. Meanwhile confidence in Leica has almost fully returned, albeit I have NOT updated the Firmware-Update (not sure if this was the problem) AND I changed to a new set of Sandisk cards (fast and slow). I have never again used the newly bought Lexars and Kingstons (although they may probably work now).

My faulty M-10M is still in Wetzlar for inspection, together with videos I shot from the freezes and with the cards that failed. But no response after 2 months...

Hope this helps, feel free to ask more questions

Michael

www.imagepower.de

19 minutes ago, IMAGEPOWER said:

Of course I installed the Firmware Update right on the first day I got my M-10M (another clever hint of the Leica Customer Service).

Since that time, I had only 2 freezes, and they were not card related (they didn't show "SD"). These freezes were similar to what you described. LV was in use when it happened. But taking battery out and in again solved the problem. Meanwhile confidence in Leica has almost fully returned, albeit I have NOT updated the Firmware-Update (not sure if this was the problem) AND I changed to a new set of Sandisk cards (fast and slow). I have never again used the newly bought Lexars and Kingstons (although they may probably work now).

I have NOT done a firmware update... I didn't know one existed yet. So for you, the update did NOT improve things on the first camera, or did it POSSIBLY make it worse? For the new camera you mention that you haven't done the update, because of suspicion that it might not be good yet? I'm looking for a sense from you of whether a firmware update at this time might be a good or bad idea.

Thanks for your in-depth contribution. It sounds to me like there may be several different bugs causing slightly different freezes.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Gerbs:

I have NOT done a firmware update... I didn't know one existed yet. So for you, the update did NOT improve things on the first camera, or did it POSSIBLY make it worse? For the new camera you mention that you haven't done the update, because of suspicion that it might not be good yet? I'm looking for a sense from you of whether a firmware update at this time might be a good or bad idea.

Thanks for your in-depth contribution. It sounds to me like there may be several different bugs causing slightly different freezes.

I have done a firmware update on the first camera but still refrain from updating my present one, as I very rarely use ISO 25,000 or above (This update addresses minor contrast issues at very high ISO). It is very interesting that you DID NOT update the firmware, so the firmware seems to be an unlikely factor. Actually my last freeze of the camera was almost 28 days ago (I note every little problem since the first camera failed).

I think you are right, there seem to be various bugs, and not enough users, who by using the camera heavily, encounter problems...or it's just the two us unlucky ones...? 😉

take care

Michael

On 4/18/2020 at 5:59 PM, Gerbs said:

The M10 Monochrom is, to me, inspiring because it seems like a tool that can be used to get to the kind of perfection to which Ansel Adams worked. Figuring out a workflow is a fun challenge. I've ordered the tools to do a full calibration of my monitor, for example, and a mirrored external drive to store the massive files that will be generated. My original thought was that the SD card was the best place to do deleting and such, as they are relatively cheap if one goes bad. I'd rather do culling of images BEFORE putting them on my permanent storage, to help keep things less fragmented there. Your suggestion of adding the star is a good one, it might help me sort things more quickly. There might be some real value in not deleting, just letting images accumulate on the card, and then formatting to free up its storage.

It is a lot of fun letting my geek side free on figuring out best practices, and letting my artistic side out making photographic drawings (to somewhat quote Henri Cartier-Bresson, I think).

Thanks

@Gerbs So, when I use PhotoMechanic 6 to ingest my images, I copy to two Drobos.  The main copy is my Lightroom workspace and the backup, while in the same file structure and file name, is just a backup.  When I delete images in Photomechanic (or later Lightroom - deleting from disk), it just removes them from the main Drobo drive, not the backup.  Interestingly, this last weekend I could not find 8 images I had used on the web.  Somehow I deleted them in Lightroom (I guess). I just copied from my backup Drobo and relinked them in Lightroom.

My advice, for what it is worth, is to do all the deleting after ingestion.  If you have a whole bunch of 'bad' images, you could only ingest certain ones with PhotoMechanic.

After saying all that, if the last image I took on the M10M was bad, I delete it right away.  But it is the last image, the next image I take fills in the holes and keeps going.  I've not had problems doing that, but I never delete in the middle of a series.  Just me!

Best..

David.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2020 at 5:00 PM, Gerbs said:

Has anyone else been experiencing the occasional need to remove the battery to reboot the M10 Monochrom? I'll notice that it won't let me take a picture, pushing the shutter half down won't show the histogram, and sometimes (I think it's just sometimes) Live View is stuck on.

I've shot about 450 pictures (not all keepers, LOL) in the past 3 weeks, and this has happened around 4 times. I think there might be a sequence that causes it, but I'm not sure yet. I have been using Live View a huge amount, turning it off after the shot to preserve battery life, and often turning off the camera. Sometimes the camera won't even turn off, I've got to take out the battery.

Anyone else?

Hi, 

I have got the same problem with m10m, several times, during use in LV

m10m blocked, frozen, no way to shoot, or even to set off

needed to take away undercover to close down - 

started up again after closing gear 

gear nr 05507827    softw v: 2,12,8,0

My agent communicated with Leica, not yet received feed back 

23 minutes ago, japo said:

Hi, 

I have got the same problem with m10m, several times, during use in LV

m10m blocked, frozen, no way to shoot, or even to set off

needed to take away undercover to close down - 

started up again after closing gear 

gear nr 05507827    softw v: 2,12,8,0

My agent communicated with Leica, not yet received feed back 

I haven't had a repeat of the problem in a while. I did get a new battery, but continue to use the original one as well. I got new memory cards, but haven't used them yet. I do try to be careful to exit "Play" before using the button to turn off "Live View".  Hopefully your issue will clear up with a bit of care, or one of the fine suggestions in this thread. I have found a definitive reason for the failure to happen, yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I also had this experience. I changed from the Sony Tough SD-card, which are no problem in other cameras, to the Sandisk and since that time I had this issue only once.

So in my opinion this has to do with the simultaneous use of certain card-types and the EVF/LiveView. Some say that the risk is higher when the battery load is below 50% but who knows. So I had the same issue with the original "Color-M10". 

All we can do for now is waiting for a firmware update that addresses this issue.

Edited by strohscw