Screws on the M-A's front

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've got two question about he M-A and the  four little screws it (like the M2) has in the leather on the front side:

1. Are those screws essential to hold together the camera body or are the largely decoration / to hold the leather in place.
  2. If the leather was changed for the MP-style 'leather' (let's not fight about that), could it be possible to hide the screws as it is done on the MP?

1 - Those screws do have real function of screwing inside components

as seen here on the older M4 with not replaceable leatherette (vulcanite) even with one more screw at left to hold the counter reset lever

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

2 - I have no idea as I've never need to replace the nice leather of my M-A, much nicer and not slippy as my ex MP

you may ask Leica for that because the leather of MP is not the same size as M-A without battery.

Edited by a.noctilux

Ok, good to know. If the body of the M-A is identical to the MP (didn't somebody complain about the M-A having the cutout for the battery compartment?) then the screws should also be able to sit under whatever type of leather.

I am somewhat surprised the M-A has these screws as they have gone with such a minimalist approach with the black version...

Edited by rho

Advertisement (gone after registration)

59 minutes ago, Matlock said:

Visible screws have been a feature of Leica cameras since 1925, why the fuss?

😉

even the mount is screw thread from 1925...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

To be up-to-date again a bigger screw, just in case

on M10-D 😇

A couple of points, for reference:

1) Leica film cameras are manufactured as a separate "core unit" of all the working bits, from shutter to RF to wind/rewind mechanisms.

Which is then slipped into the hollow oval "tube" of a one-piece outer casing - machined brass (or zinc, in M6s) and glass windows and leatherette. The screws (along with add-ons like the top plate, dials, knobs and wind-lever) then hold the whole thing together.

https://www.leica-camera.blog/2011/10/10/repair-of-a-legend/

2) Leica calls the fine-grained leatherette texture of the MP "Sharkskin" - it was also used for the M8 digital. Apparently some people found the sharkskin texture to be too slippery (and/or non-traditional), so with the M9, Leica went back to the larger-grained texture that resembled 80 years of Vulcanite.

• Like 2

Thanks @adan for this excellent explanation.

I am coming from 10 years with an M2. I am not sure it has vulcanite or leatherette applied later (it feels very hard, not 'rubbery' at all) but I am definitely ready for something else should I ever again buy a new film camera... Will definitely get my hands on an M-A and MP first though... (I am not really a fan of real leather here)

Regarding the replacement I'll try to ask Leica whether the Sharkskin can also be fit to an M-A...

What do I know, but if you want a mechanical camera why try to take away its mechanical oeuvre? It's a collection of mechanical parts screwed together with screws by people, embrace it, after all it could be the last time you'll see it.

Edited by 250swb

5 hours ago, adan said:

- machined brass (or zinc, in M6s) and glass windows and leatherette.

BTW I think I messed up here. The leatherette-covered hollow casing is probably machined steel, while the top "plate" (actually a 3D shape) and baseplate are brass (or zinc).

Equally BTW, the digital M bodies are clamshell construction - front and back plates connected internally and the end seams [ ] and then "capped" top and bottom.

Edited by adan

3 hours ago, adan said:

BTW I think I messed up here. The leatherette-covered hollow casing is probably machined steel, while the top "plate" (actually a 3D shape) and baseplate are brass (or zinc).

This prompted my curiosity so I did some research.  I thought a steel shell would be unlikely as it would make the cameras a lot heavier, especially since the shell is very thick (you can see how thick when you remove the bottom plate).  It turns out the shells are die-cast aluminium.

• Thanks 1

On 4/20/2020 at 11:53 PM, andrew01 said:

It turns out the shells are die-cast aluminium.

I would agree on this - one of the strap lugs pulled out of an M2 I had (during a scuffle with the apartheid police in Soweto) and a chunk of the casing broke away with the lug. The material was crystalline - indicative of casting - also relatively light and very strong, so most likely a hard-ish aluminium alloy... 

I had the old part on my bookshelf for years (along with a chipped visoflex pentaprism) - but they got lost in one of the moves....:-(

• Like 1

For the record and to answer my initial question: According to Leica the leather is pre-cut to the camara type and therefore you can't have MP leather on an M-A. Economically that makes a lot of sense on their end; slightly disappointing on my end 😉

Edited by rho