Leica 28 Summicron

kuzco9x

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought this lenses last month, and today I realize that it is red scale, but I cant find anything about 28 Summicron Red Scale.

So, does anyone know about this, please let me know.

Thanks a lot.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

The red scale of your lens is the scale for the distance measured in feet. My Summilux 35mm has the feet scale in yellow color.

The red scale mystery is based on the cameras If,  IIf and iiif of the years around 1950 with a faster flash synchronisation than the previous f-cameras.

• Thanks 1

On 4/18/2020 at 1:17 PM, kuzco9x said:

I bought this lenses last month, and today I realize that it is red scale, but I cant find anything about 28 Summicron Red Scale.

So, does anyone know about this, please let me know.

Thanks a lot.

Hi

Just noticed… my 28 Cron asph v1 has got red numbers as well...

Aggghhh… sorry for that bad joke! Must be some korona-staying-indoor-effect coming 😉

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, MarkP said:

...and furthermore why is an f2.0/28  Summicron wearing a 2.8/28 lens hood ?

In my photo I just tried to make a gag copying the OP`s photo. But I probably did not manage then...

Well, would switching it to my 12466 make any difference… 😉.But I agree… seldom find them really neccessary with any lens.

Edited by Stein K S

3 minutes ago, colint544 said:

Those silver chrome ones are pretty rare. Aren't they made of brass?

I believe that this lens was Leicas first attempt to try out the silver anodized aluminium technique back in 2008. Only 500 pcs produced. And not even mentioned in Puts compendium. Came by it totally by coincident… along with the 12466 hood at seemingly no additional cost. That was my Lucky day! 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Stein K S said:

I believe that this lens was Leicas first attempt to try out the silver anodized aluminium technique back in 2008. Only 500 pcs produced. And not even mentioned in Puts compendium. Came by it totally by coincident… along with the 12466 hood at seemingly no additional cost. That was my Lucky day! 

Did not know that. I've got the standard black version. It had to go back to Leica to get the wobbly front fixed. I was aware to handle the lens carefully, not remove it by holding the hood, only gripping it by the base, etc. But still those microscopic screws slackened, and the front became loose.

That said, it's fixed now, and it's a lens I don't think I'd part with. Lovely mix of sharpness and smooth blur, under the right conditions. Looks really nice in silver.

• Like 2

The OP inspired me...28 cron v2.  A $10 lacquer stick and 15 mins of time ....super easy

Edited by MMCH
  • Like 2

Haha, it was pandemic boredom thing.....plus I decided to keep all the lenses I use on my m body color coordinated With the black chromes

• Like 1