PROBLEM LEITZ WETZLAR 40MM F2 on M9

j hardianto

4 hours ago, j hardianto said:

Hi, i ve just purchased Leitz wetzlar summicron C 40mm f2 for my M9. And the problem is i cant focus any of them. Every distance seems unfocused. Is there anyone here experience the same thing like mine?

I've used this lens on my M9, Monochrom & M10 for many years with no issues. If you have other lenses which are focusing, then here's clearly an issue with the lens calibration. Did you purchase the lens from a dealer or privately? In any event it's not a big deal to have the lens calibrated. 

The Summicron C was designed for the rangefinder of the Leica CL (made by Minolta). There is no second helicoid to transform the moving of the lens to the requirements of the Leica-M rangefinder. In former times Leitz gave an advice for this.

Never got the least focus problem with the Summicron-C 40/2 on film and digital Ms so far, and this with different copies. Sounds like yours needs a CLA. BTW the lens has not been made by Minolta but by Leitz in Germany. The otherwise very good Minolta lens has been made a decade later for the Minolta CLE.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, auceps said:

In former times Leitz gave an advice for this.

Nevertheless, the 1:2.0/40mm Summicron-C performed flawlessly on all of my digital M cameras, i.e. on M8, M9, M (Typ 240), as did the 1:4.0/90mm. It's just that the M cameras do not have matching framelines for the 40mm lens. 

@j hardiantoIf other lenses focus well on your M9, then the Summicron-C is damaged or poorly adjusted.

46 minutes ago, auceps said:

The Summicron C was designed for the rangefinder of the Leica CL (made by Minolta). There is no second helicoid to transform the moving of the lens to the requirements of the Leica-M rangefinder. In former times Leitz gave an advice for this.

It was made by Leitz Wetzlar. Minolta brought out a second version to go with the CLE. It had different coatings. The warning was about less precision when focusing, not about systematic misfocus.
However, even when it was new, this lens was found to focus perfectly on any M camera. It still does, I use mine regularly. There is one thing to watch: The optical cell is fixed in the barrel by a simple screw-in ring and has no location notch. Those rings are prone to work loose and although it is dead easy to reassemble, it may be that somebody made a mistake  putting it together or tried to "adjust" the lens by shimming or made a composite out of two lenses - the cell and the mount were matched by Leica when building the lens. Have it checked out by a repair person. It is well worth it - these are lovely lenses.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Firstly, physically check your lens. Is the lens front moving in and out from the lens body as the focus ring is rotated. If it is, does it look as though it is sitting in the correct place at infinity (check web posted photos of the lens to compare)? If a shot taken of a view at infinity is out of focus then the lens is not working as it should be, potentially due to damage, missing parts or incorrect assembly. Providing all parts are present and nothing is severely damaged then a technician ought to be able to sort it out for you. I bought a 75mm Summilux from a dealer, which would not focus, on the basis that it would be repaired by Leica which it was and it is now perfect.