Polishing scratches out on body

Gavbo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Recently acquired an m8.2, the last owner did a DIY job of 'brassing' on the top casing with sandpaper (he told me).

Any polishing experts out there with advice on where I can improve its appearance. I am thinking of a rotary multi-tool but I have no idea which will be the best attachment to use. Ideally I would like to bring back the shine rather adding more brassing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This looks barbaric! How can people do that? Try to flatten the deep scratches with a fine grinding paper, with a grain 1200 and above and finally with car polish. But only do if you are somehow experienced with such work, otherwise have it done by a professional.

I would not use a rotational tool, it leaves its own patterns on the surface and generates heat locally which can cause further damage.

• Like 1

Why don't you let it this way? It is a very old (electronic times) camera. It has patina, I had no problem with it. It is a picture taking device, so look at the pictures it takes. 

You could invent some fake news about it. Was not it, that the previous owner won a price with a picture from this camera?

Edited by jankap

Good grief! Why oh why oh why do people think this looks kewl ? 

If you are actually using the camera as opposed to playing with it as the previous owner seems to have, then normal wear will probably smooth off those scratches. Otherwise you could try polishing it with plain toothpaste which is mildly abrasive (but try a small patch first). 

At least you will then have a genuinely 'Minty' example when done. 

• Haha 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What's an M8 worth these days, £500? I know I took one of mine apart quite a few years ago but to think the appearance is enhanced by this brassing is completely ludicrous.Trouble it, it's not just the top plate, also the shutter speed dial and the on-off switch. I dont think it's worth spending any money on it to be honest.

• Like 2

On 4/15/2020 at 4:01 AM, AndreasG said:

This looks barbaric! How can people do that? Try to flatten the deep scratches with a fine grinding paper, with a grain 1200 and above and finally with car polish. But only do if you are somehow experienced with such work, otherwise have it done by a professional.

I would not use a rotational tool, it leaves its own patterns on the surface and generates heat locally which can cause further damage.

@AndreasG  Only a photographically impotent Winogrand wannabe does this to a camera. 

@Gavbo  Glad you rescued this M8 from the fool who did this.

Edited by Herr Barnack

2 minutes ago, marknorton said:

What's an M8 worth these days, £500? I know I took one of mine apart quite a few years ago but to think the appearance is enhanced by this brassing is completely ludicrous.Trouble it, it's not just the top plate, also the shutter speed dial and the on-off switch. I dont think it's worth spending any money on it to be honest.

Good to see you here again, Mark.

M8's are going from £800 to £1200 depending on condition and model.

Pete.

• Like 4

Yes, long time no see, Mark. Hope all is well with you.

I think that your "I'm going to completely dismantle my M8 and put it back together again" is the classic thread on the forum. I bet it still gets hits even today. a work of genius!

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Here you go, it didn't upload both times

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 5/19/2020 at 10:58 AM, earleygallery said:

That's better, at least it doesn't look so artificial now, more like a Lenny Kravitz edition! 

Please don't tell anyone; it was suppose to be a company secret how they obtained that famous look ;)

• 2 months later...

Happich Simichrome polish is an excellent fine polish available in most auto supply stores and VW/Porsche dealers.  It is a fine polish, very fine.  You can polish scratches out of a watch crystal with it and it is super on chrome.  If it were my camera I would just leave it alone.  But it's not my camera.  ;o)