High ISO and high speed shutter issue?

Johnclare369

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi.

I can't find exactly this problem reported here, so apologies if it's here somewhere. 

During the lockdown I've been trying different kinds of home-based photography. Yesterday I was playing around with high-speed shots, dropping ice and strawberries into coloured water, that kind of thing.  I've just opened the images in LR and in PS and found there is a small line across the images when shooting at ISO higher than 640.

Is it some kind of banding?  I don't know the ISO level where it starts to appear, I would have to do more tests to determine the tipping point. However, it's not there at 640 and is there at 1600 and above. See three attached images. Same lens and body, ISOs 640, 3200 and 4000. Shutter speed 1/4000 on all three. Apertures from f4 to f6.8. 

Of course I am assuming it is to do with the ISO, not the f-stop.

I was shooting on high speed shutter, so maybe something to do with the heat generated or recycling time?

Lens is APO-Summicron-M f2. 90mm.

Camera body Leica M10. No flash.  Remote cable release for high-speed shutter.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi Adan and many thanks for replying .

Yes that's the line I was referring to.  I have done some more tests and the line appears at ISO of 1250 and above, when the drive mode is set to high speed shutter.  I can take single shots at these  settings without getting a line. (Of course I then miss the moment of impact so it makes the exercise pointless.)  I attach a different image from later tests. I have cropped it to fit...the min focussing distance for the 90mm lens is 1 metre. I have checked after your post, and the line is still there on the RAW original file.  The line doesn't seem to be as obvious on this image as on the strawberry.  It's very faint but definitely there, and becomes more obvious on higher res images.

Any thoughts?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This is a known issue with some Leica M10. I had these on my new M10 and I freaked out. Fortunately, it is an easy fix. 

Send an email to (technicalinfo@leicacamerausa.com) and describe your problem. They will reply saying to send both the marked DNG and Jpeg files to (pixel.media@leicacamerausa.com). A technician will retrieve the files and a custom firmware update will be created and emailed back to you for uploading and correcting the pixel line error. Leica Germany (Customer.Care@leica-camera.com) also responded with the same thing but I found that the above emails for Leica USA were extremely fast. I had my custom firmware sent to me within an hour of sending the photos.

I think it appeared during certain ISO. It can be corrected with a software fix no need to send the camera in.

It looks like the kind of line that can be caused by a hot (stuck) pixel in the sensor.  I had one on my M9 original sensor, that would show up as a red line across the frame. However, when LightRoom processed the image the line disappeared, so I didn't bother sending it in, until sensor corrosion also occurred. Not sure why it would show up only at high speeds though...