Is dust in the viewfinder a common problem?

tracyprestige

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, raphael said:

Some time ago I watched a YouTube Video where a Leica service guy at Wetzlar recommended Ricoh‘s „Pentax Sensor Cleaning Stick“. It has an adhesive surface and will collect all the dust.

However I’m afraid it will also leave some minor glue on the sensor.

Does anyone have experience with that?

I’ve never used one but have heard others here say they had left marks.

Called several camera repair shops in town today, and one of them was kindly enough to suggest that cleaning the viewfinder dust is not necessary since the dust would always find its way into the viewfinder. Apologize for starting this OCD thread and thank all of you who provide me constructive suggestions. Hope everyone enjoy their Leicas!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2020 at 8:15 PM, jdlaing said:

Sensor Swab, Visible dust Brush.

Rocket blower judiciously so as not to blow dust particles up inside the top plate and viewfinder mechanism.

Or the Green Clean vacuum cleaner.

On 4/15/2020 at 1:29 AM, jdlaing said:

I’ve never used one but have heard others here say they had left marks.

I never had that problem with Eyelead. For Leica sensors use the Sony type.

If you have seen any of the various You Tube videos on adjusting the rangefinder and various other service operations, you will see that the entire top plate comes off with the viewfinder lens attached and the viewfinder eyepiece in place as well. Both the old film cameras and the digitalis. Hard to believe that it costs $300 to remove the top and give things a quick clean. But dust will always get in. It takes a lot of dust to make a difference, although I know it is a bit disturbing on such expensive cameras. Of more concern would be fogging on that front lens, which happens frequently too. DAG can clean these up for much less than $300.

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After cleaning the sensor in my M10 (with a VSGO kit and a home-made vacuum pump -- never a blower!), I noticed dust on the inside of the viewfinder eyepiece as well. Removing the outer rubber ring took a bit of tugging, but it finally yielded. Then came the three screws, one of which was loose -- perhaps part of the cause for the dust getting in. Removing the eyepiece ring was more of a challenge, but with the help of an E-Clypse Eyecup MX. which screws into the ring, I finally managed to pull it off. Cleaning and reassembly followed. Screwing a diopter in tight has helped to rebond the two pieces of the eyepiece, I think.

My thanks to the discussion here.

WM

On 4/14/2020 at 12:45 PM, raphael said:

Some time ago I watched a YouTube Video where a Leica service guy at Wetzlar recommended Ricoh‘s „Pentax Sensor Cleaning Stick“. It has an adhesive surface and will collect all the dust.

However I’m afraid it will also leave some minor glue on the sensor.

Does anyone have experience with that?

I also shoot Pentax, and yes I got the stick and it works very well. Have not noticed any glue like residual on the sensor at all. 

I also have this problem. There's a small long piece of fabric-type dust in the front viewfinder, and quite a large 1mm diameter piece of dust in the eye piece. Not quite sure how that got there. All Leica stores in Thailand are apparently forbidden to take cameras apart so it will have to be sent to Singapore just for cleaning so....guess I'll just have to live with it. It still has warranty so I'm quite hesitant to get a third-party store to try cleaning it, although it doesn't seen to affect focusing...unless the dust moves.