7artisans M to L helicoid (close-focus) adapter

ajitmenon

I use the Gabale, that you can find on eBay.

I use it on the SL2 with the Noctilux 50 and other M lenses.

I like it, it holds well and help overcome the 1m minimum focus distance of some lenses, down to 40cm.

Some considerations  to look at.
Are the M lenses even corrected to be used for closeup. I have not done much testing but what I am getting with the closeup setup is quite nice and I have no complain 

Image stabilization - The adapter does not name the 6bit sensor. You will need to enter the lens profile manually every time you change lenses. I have added lens selection to my favorite to get there quickly, and limited the lens selection to only the lenses I have. The sensor stabilization is only active when it knows the lens used.
For some reason the lens profile is not applied in the DMG. I have not tested is the lens correction are activated in camera ... vignetting, CA, distortion .

I have the Leica adapter and the Gabale adapter, both go past infinity. With the Gabale adapter I was be able to turn the ring a little so that the lens has a hard stop at infinity.

All in all it is a great adapter, I still use both.

• Thanks 1

Nice one! 

Thanks for the detailed breakdown. I guess it makes sense that the IS would not kick-in (properly) without knowing what lens is being used - back in the day, I used the Sony A7ii with the VME-close focus adapter and remember having to adjust the focal length for the IBIS to work.

I guess it's nice to have one of these as a back-up and occasional close-focus option - especially the 1.4 lenses to exaggerate the crazy dof even more.

In terms of IQ, the close-focus never seemed to disproportionately break the IQ of the lenses I used so that doesn't bother me. Perhaps it might break a tad with the f/1 Nocti but we shall see.

Thanks again!

3 hours ago, ajitmenon said:

Yes, I have the 7 Artisans version, sounds pretty much identical to the Gabale version, and I use it on the CL and SL2.  Seems well made, fits without wiggle and is nice to have the close focus option which works as you would expect.   Think this shot below was with the CL and CV 40mm 1.2 which already focusses down to .5

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think the IQ is this good, this switch the Noctilux at 0.95 , f2 f 2.8

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I just got this adapter to use on my Panasonic s1. Was really excited but the mount doesn’t lock. It appears the hole for the pin is not at the right position. 
anyone else having this problem? Asking bc I’m not sure if replacing the same adapter is gonna solve the issue now 🤷🏼‍♂️

Huwm, 

thx for the reply. The hole for the locking pin is just not at the correct position. That’s why it doesn’t lock. So I assume the S5 and S1 would share the same mount parts. 
So it seems logical that I just got a faulty item.? Maybe worth trying to get a replacement after all. 

Edited by Chris Bu

On 2/6/2022 at 12:18 AM, Chris Bu said:

Huwm, 

thx for the reply. The hole for the locking pin is just not at the correct position. That’s why it doesn’t lock. So I assume the S5 and S1 would share the same mount parts. 
So it seems logical that I just got a faulty item.? Maybe worth trying to get a replacement after all. 

I ordered one and had the same issue as you. So I returned it and gave on 7 artisan poor quality control. Not expensive but not good. So better go with more expensive parts with better quality.

• 6 months later...

Hi guys, I just found this thread as I have the 7artisans adapter on my Canon R5 and it mounts well but will not focus to infinity - I checked to make sure that the close-focus helicoid is all the way back - it was - but still it won't. And I checked with all my many Leica-M and Voigtländer-LM and 7Artisans-LM lenses - they all have the same problem. Apparently, my adapter is too thick! Again, apparent lack of quality control.

• 4 months later...

**** For all those have trouble with the 7 Artisans Close Focus Adapter ****

The story - I recently switched to Leica from Canon and found the SL2-S is the perfect tool for my photography. Thank you for all the discussions on this forum, it really is helping me make the switch smoother and getting to know Leica eco system. My plan was to keep one original SL lens and develop a system with M lenses around it.

The biggest hurdle was the long "Minimum Focus" limitation on most of the range finder lenses. Thought this adapter would really make a difference. However, like many of you, I was very disappointed to find that SL2-S only gave a black screen when I put this adapter on. No matter how tight I turned it did not make a difference. Could not find any information or user guide on this product. The product looked well built and the ability to do infinity focus using the dial on the adapter was a very clever implementation. This is not the ideal situation, however I was not able to find a similar product in market for now.

Solution - Gone past 3 days, I was just about to return the adapter to B&H today, then I came across the below reply comment from the seller on amazon:

”Dear customer, I'm sorry for this problem. We don't have an installation manual for this product. After confirmation with the Technology Department, our product is suitable for your Leica SL2-S, which may be because the lock hole of your camera is too small to lock correctly. We suggest you try to make the hole bigger so that you can use it normally. If it still doesn't work, you can apply for returning the product, Thank you for your understanding and support! 7artisans"

First, I laughed and said to myself, this guy is crazy, he is asking me to put a hole in my $5000 camera to fit his $69 adapter. After few minutes, it clicked on me, he must have meant to make the hole on the adapter big. There it was… I took a sand paper and tried to smooth out the small hole. There was some roughness also near the hole due to imperfect machining. After few trials, the adapter was working perfectly.  Attached are the couple of pictures..one with the adapter in close focus mode and the other on infinity mode on a 35mm Voigtlander. You can see the perspective differences. Hope this helps someone. This adapter opens up a lot of possibilities.

On 12/16/2022 at 6:23 AM, LightedMoments said:

The story - I recently switched to Leica from Canon and found the SL2-S is the perfect tool for my photography. Thank you for all the discussions on this forum, it really is helping me make the switch smoother and getting to know Leica eco system. My plan was to keep one original SL lens and develop a system with M lenses around it.

The biggest hurdle was the long "Minimum Focus" limitation on most of the range finder lenses. Thought this adapter would really make a difference. However, like many of you, I was very disappointed to find that SL2-S only gave a black screen when I put this adapter on. No matter how tight I turned it did not make a difference. Could not find any information or user guide on this product. The product looked well built and the ability to do infinity focus using the dial on the adapter was a very clever implementation. This is not the ideal situation, however I was not able to find a similar product in market for now.

Solution - Gone past 3 days, I was just about to return the adapter to B&H today, then I came across the below reply comment from the seller on amazon:

”Dear customer, I'm sorry for this problem. We don't have an installation manual for this product. After confirmation with the Technology Department, our product is suitable for your Leica SL2-S, which may be because the lock hole of your camera is too small to lock correctly. We suggest you try to make the hole bigger so that you can use it normally. If it still doesn't work, you can apply for returning the product, Thank you for your understanding and support! 7artisans"

First, I laughed and said to myself, this guy is crazy, he is asking me to put a hole in my $5000 camera to fit his $69 adapter. After few minutes, it clicked on me, he must have meant to make the hole on the adapter big. There it was… I took a sand paper and tried to smooth out the small hole. There was some roughness also near the hole due to imperfect machining. After few trials, the adapter was working perfectly.  Attached are the couple of pictures..one with the adapter in close focus mode and the other on infinity mode on a 35mm Voigtlander. You can see the perspective differences. Hope this helps someone. This adapter opens up a lot of possibilities.

Hi man, May I know whether your SL is able to detect the lense when you are using the 7artisan adapter. I drill the hole and able to attach it but my camera isn’t able to detect the lense.

• 5 months later...
On 12/16/2022 at 5:23 AM, LightedMoments said:

@LightedMoments please, can you share with me which part you brushed with the sand paper?