75mm Summarit f/2.4

Edwin Ho

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Could anyone who owns this lens please share your user experience, in particular with an M9.

FYI, I am working towards a combo of M9 with the 35 and 75. Will put up the 28mm for sale once I have made up my mind.

Edited by Edwin Ho

Don’t wait too long if you want to buy new; the M Summarit line has been discontinued.  But there are many here who use and praise the lenses, including the 35 and 75. The Summarits are underrated but excellent performers on any M model, in some cases demonstrating improvements over Summicron equivalents, for example the 35 in terms of flare control and lack of focus shift.  You really can’t go wrong with any M lens; really comes down to focal length choice, rendering and ergonomic preferences, which are quite personal.  Best to try for yourself.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Don’t wait too long if you want to buy new; the M Summarit line has been discontinued.

Thank you Jeff. I would rather purchase new to make sure I have the two-year warranty. I find it quite a difficult decision to buy pre-owned unless I have the option to see and try it. As I have mentioned before, buying pre-owned internationally will incur additional charges on GST and shipping cost.

Good idea to try first even if buying new. Forum surveys can’t determine what will ultimately satisfy you. Reputable dealers will have some warranty and return policy, whether or not Leica warranty remains.  And personal insurance is also good to cover circumstances outside warranty.

Jeff

2 hours ago, Edwin Ho said:

Thank you Jeff. I would rather purchase new to make sure I have the two-year warranty. I find it quite a difficult decision to buy pre-owned unless I have the option to see and try it. As I have mentioned before, buying pre-owned internationally will incur additional charges on GST and shipping cost.

You will have try and check new lenses too on your camera for the right adjustment of focus. That lies in the nature of M photography, it happened to me several times that I had to decide not to buy because of back or front focusing. I never buy Leica outside a reputable dealer which has an understanding if a lens does not meet my standards. I find however, that warranty is much more important for a camera than for a lens. A lens is easily tested in the store and once it’s ok, there is much less that can go wrong than with a camera. 

• Like 1

I have just placed an order for the 75 with my trusted Leica dealer in Perth. It is on backorder but dealer will refund me this lens is not available.

As for the 35mm Summarit I was informed a new lens is in the pipeline. I can wait that out as I do still have my 28mm Elmarit for the time being.

Thank you all for the cautions.

Edited by Edwin Ho

1 hour ago, Edwin Ho said:

Just noticed current firmware 1.210 does not provide for 75mm f/2.4 lens.

How do you know that?

Do you mean it's not be displayed in the manual selection list? If so I'd guess that the lens was designed after the coding system was implemented so manual selection is never needed for this lens.

5 hours ago, Jeff S said:

You really can’t go wrong with any M lens; really comes down to focal length choice, rendering and ergonomic preferences, which are quite personal.

These are exactly the criteria that I based on decision on, thank you Jeff.

1 minute ago, ianman said:

Do you mean it's not be displayed in the manual selection list? If so I'd guess that the lens was designed after the coding system was implemented so manual selection is never needed for this lens.

Just checked my M9 again. Indeed it is not listed except for f/1.4 and f/2 ASPH. So all I need to do is to set lens detection to auto. right?

1 hour ago, ianman said:

If that's the case, then yes, auto detection.

If the lens has been launched after the firmware, then the firmware will not know the code. I could not find out whether the M9 actually knows the 1:2.4/75mm or the 1:2.4/35mm, but I would rather think so.

55 minutes ago, dau said:

If the lens has been launched after the firmware, then the firmware will not know the code. I could not find out whether the M9 actually knows the 1:2.4/75mm or the 1:2.4/35mm, but I would rather think so.

Not necessarily. I think the quite recently launched 90mm (is it a Summilux?) was configured in the firmware long before it was released. That's how people knew about it.

For the Summarits, just look in the Exif 🙄

6 hours ago, Edwin Ho said:

Just noticed current firmware 1.210 does not provide for 75mm f/2.4 lens.

Are you aware that a 6bit-code above 35mm is of minor importance? So if the 2.5 is listed it will perfectly do, just in case the 2.4 is not specifically mentioned. Btw I thought I saw somewhere that you work with LR6, this program won’t know about the 2.4 either. For my Summilux 75 I put lens recognition OFF, because I believe to see that it gives me the lens as I know it from film photography. If I would like to change vignetting properties I prefer to do it on my own and not done by a program, developed by the unknown and respected Leica employee, but from which I do not know what it is doing. 

Edited by otto.f

5 minutes ago, Topsy said:

My Summarit is f2.5? Do they make 2 or have I got a fake?

Not fake... I have a 2.5/35 Summarit and 2.4/50. They refreshed the line a few years ago (old is 2.5, new is 2.4) but as I understand it the differences are mostly in construction and hoods are different (some 2.5s had E39 filter) and they are optically identical (.1 f-stop notwithstanding). 

Edited by matted
  • Like 2

We can download technical data from Leica website, Summarit-M 2.4/75 or Summarit-M 2.5/75mm here

and most of recent Leica lenses there.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Notice here that the 2.4/75mm focus to 70cm but the focus throw is quicker (or less precise depending on criteria ...)

the 2.5/75mm focus to 90cm.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, matted said:

Not fake... I have a 2.5/35 Summarit and 2.4/50. They refreshed the line a few years ago (old is 2.5, new is 2.4) but as I understand it the differences are mostly in construction and hoods are different (some 2.5s had E39 filter) and they are optically identical (.1 f-stop notwithstanding). 

1 hour ago, a.noctilux said:

We can download technical data from Leica website, Summarit-M 2.4/75 or Summarit-M 2.5/75mm here

and most of recent Leica lenses there.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Notice here that the 2.4/75mm focus to 70cm but the focus throw is quicker (or less precise depending on criteria ...)

the 2.5/75mm focus to 90cm.

Thanks guys, for a moment there I was wondering I bought mine on the internet. Not saying I had any reason to think it was fake and never unhappy with my shots with it but it seemed odd that this thread was about a lens I have but the widest aperture was different. Not to self just shoot pictures and stop worrying about every little detail.

7 hours ago, Topsy said:

Thanks guys, for a moment there I was wondering I bought mine on the internet. Not saying I had any reason to think it was fake and never unhappy with my shots with it but it seemed odd that this thread was about a lens I have but the widest aperture was different. Not to self just shoot pictures and stop worrying about every little detail.

While the nominal speeds are listed as f2.5 vs f2.4, both versions actually test as f2.4 according to E. Puts and other sources.  And the older 35 Summarit had an aspherical element just the same as the new version.  Marketing department.  The newer 75 and 90 versions, however, do have closer minimum focus, and there are some other tweaks between models, so not all sales pitch.

Jeff

• Like 1