Q2 more than a simple crop

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Q2 crop mode is more than just a cut out of the photo. 
- First it told Lightroom to automatically crop the DNG to 35 ; 50 or 75mm 
- Second it will display the correct histogram for the crop selected. 
- Third it will meter according to the crop zone selected. 
- Fourth all AF modes will be restricted to work only within the crop mode limit. 
- Last video mode will record in 1080p or 4K at every crop mode. Even tiny 75mm will provide 4K resolution. Nice feat. Especially with OIS. 

It is like the Q2 really think itself as a quad lenses camera. Not as a 28mm only, that will be cropped senselessly. 

After 10 month with Q2, I am embracing more and more the concept of quad lenses. 
I consider the Q2 as an AF digital M with 0.58x equivalent electronic viewfinder. Variable sensor size. Video capabilities. And Optical stabilisation. 
It is like it has a turret of four lens with macro adapter permanently attached to it. 
Summilux-Q 28mm f/1.7 @47MP 
Summicron-Q 35mm f/2.1 @30MP
Elmarit-Q 50mm f/3.0 @15MP
Elmar-Q 75mm f/4.5 @7MP

The comparison with 0.58x viewfinder is really important. It is to show how easy to use 28 and 35mm will be, on one hand. And how hard it will be to frame with 50 and 75mm, on the other hand. 
Yes 28 and 35mm are big. But 50 and 75mm frames are tiny. 

• Like 7

16 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Q2 crop mode is more than just a cut out of the photo. 

- Last video mode will record in 1080p or 4K at every crop mode. Even tiny 75mm will provide 4K resolution. Nice feat. Especially with OIS. 

This is a good point. I have not experimented with the Q2 video at all, as I like/need a swivel screen for video capture. However, the additional flexibility here is something to try out in practice. Thanks.

• Like 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb -Lss-:

as I like/need a swivel screen for video capture. 

OT, but just a hint, much more flexible as a svivel screen would be a additional monitor.
Unfortunately this is not possible with the Q/Q2 as they lack a HDMI output so the only possibility is using Leica Photo and a cellphone holder for the hotshoe.
Chris

It’s too bad the Q2 does not have a few small tweaks to make it more video friendly (like HDMI out) as the manual focus ring with tab makes it a dream to “pull focus” on. 

some of the SL2 features for frame rates and CODECs would also be welcome, however the form factor and heat dissipation is likely holding it back. 

I’m not complaining as the Q2 is amazing as is, and part of what I love about it is the simplicity of its interface and its minimalism, so any additions could jeopardize that, but in a perfect world I could have these things too :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PhotoCruiser said:

OT, but just a hint, much more flexible as a svivel screen would be a additional monitor.
Unfortunately this is not possible with the Q/Q2 as they lack a HDMI output so the only possibility is using Leica Photo and a cellphone holder for the hotshoe.
Chris

For very video-heavy use or in some special cases this may indeed be a good way to go. I have used the Leica Photo app a few times with the camera set up in a fixed position, it's a good tool to have. For video capture during regular still photography, I don't consider this a very useful option for myself, but perhaps I will anyway look for a suitable hotshoe mount.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 7 Stunden schrieb -Lss-:

I don't consider this a very useful option for myself, but perhaps I will anyway look for a suitable hotshoe mount.

There was recently a tread about thet and one user posted this Hotshoe cellphone holder from Neewer.

Chris

Edited by PhotoCruiser

We’ll, home avoiding the Coronavirus and slightly bored. After seeing the above link, I decided to check it out. FOTOS on the Q2 to achieve a larger rear display. Pretty funny from my perspective, but an interesting twist to using FOTOS. I’m not advocating for this. 😁

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

Why not. But Fotos shooting ability is really limited : aperture, speed, ISO, metering, DNG/JPG or WB. 
That’s all. No crop mode, no AF mode selection. 
Even worst, video mode is now a paid functionality of pro version. What a shame. 

Edited by nicci78

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Leica Guy:

We’ll, home avoiding the Coronavirus and slightly bored. After seeing the above link, I decided to check it out. FOTOS on the Q2 to achieve a larger rear display.

Thanks for the test!
As i am well back In Zurich and in a 2 weeks quarantine for repatriated swiss residents i will have some time to fight boredome.
What i want to try to install LEICA FOTO 2.0 also on my 10 inch tablet (what will not install on the Q 😁), just to see if it work and if
it may become handy under special conditions where seeing the back screen or the EVF is not/only difficult to realize, macro using a tripod for example.

Chris

By the way, when using 4K or C4K at 75mm. The field of view will be slightly wider than 75mm crop in photo mode and in 1080p. 
Because the Q2 has to use at least the same number of pixels as the 4K or Cinema 4K format.
So in 75mm video crop mode. You will get pixel per pixel video. No binning or line skipping.

However. I do not know how 28, 35 & 50mm video crop mode work. Binning ? Line skipping ? 
Does anyone know ? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PhotoCruiser said:

Thanks for the test!
As i am well back In Zurich and in a 2 weeks quarantine for repatriated swiss residents i will have some time to fight boredome.
What i want to try to install LEICA FOTO 2.0 also on my 10 inch tablet (what will not install on the Q 😁), just to see if it work and if
it may become handy under special conditions where seeing the back screen or the EVF is not/only difficult to realize, macro using a tripod for example.

Chris

I confess to having never thought of it before now, but your idea has caused me to realize that taking ground level photos could be accomplished using this system. A very unusual form of articulating rear display. 

• Like 1

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Leica Guy:

but your idea has caused me to realize that taking ground level photos could be accomplished using this system.

Glad to brought you on a new idea! 🙂
I don't have nor i need a studio and i rarely use tripods, mostly for macro or night photograpy.
There it becomes handy to have a external screen and as the camera is on the tripod i would have both hands free to use the tablet.

As i did mostly underwater photography and particularly for macro hoyvering above the ground without damaging what is below
using the screen behind can be very awkward. There either a expensive 90° angle view finder was usually used, but them mask is in the way.
Today most underwater videographers use external monitors and they become more common also in underwater photography, but are expensive solutions as
the monitor need a housing and the cable need a wathertigjt gland to go inside the cameras housing.

BTW: the same is valid also for drones, using a drone with a cell phone size monitor is possible, but a bigger screen will help greatly to manöever better and avoid expensive crashes.

Chris

• Thanks 1

On 4/10/2020 at 11:14 AM, Leica Guy said:

We’ll, home avoiding the Coronavirus and slightly bored. After seeing the above link, I decided to check it out. FOTOS on the Q2 to achieve a larger rear display. Pretty funny from my perspective, but an interesting twist to using FOTOS. I’m not advocating for this. 😁

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

very interesting! 

• 2 years later...
On 4/10/2020 at 9:32 PM, nicci78 said:

So in 75mm video crop mode. You will get pixel per pixel video. No binning or line skipping.

Can anyone explain how can be the output in 4k when in 75mm mode? Is there some upscaling or is the camera using slightly less crop for that purpose? Around 70mm instead of 75mm?

8 hours ago, defcry said:

Can anyone explain how can be the output in 4k when in 75mm mode? Is there some upscaling or is the camera using slightly less crop for that purpose? Around 70mm instead of 75mm?

It is noticeably wider than 75mm. Maybe 70mm

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. In fact, they have triggered me to exchange my Q2M for a Q2 on MPB. While I still believe that the images from the Q2M are special and cannot be matched completely by B&W conversions (in particular in low light), the Q2 color version is just a lot more versatile. The Q2 will arrive next week or so, and I can hardly wait. Michael

• Like 1