Zeiss 35mm 1.4 Distagon user experience

Ertos

1 hour ago, Simone_DF said:

I really don't understand why people bash this lens for its size yet the Noctilux is considered ok.

I hope, it is not my comment you are referring to. I prefer compact lenses. Another lens I own, the VOIGTLÄNDER Nokton 1,2/35 asph. v1 is also bulky and heavy.

I do not like this. The Nokton I bought because of its speed. I also do not like are the bokeh onion rings it produces.

The Distagon is my best 35mm lens. Its bulk and weight are consequences of its design and the price point one wanted to reach.

This is no bashing, but the realistic statement from an owner and user. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, crony said:

I hope, it is not my comment you are referring to. I prefer compact lenses.

No, I'm not referring to your comment, but to a general sentiment among this forum in this and other threads related to the Distagon that the lens is too bulky, yet I've never heard that many people share the same complains about the Noctilux.

I suspect that if the Distagon had a red dot instead of a blue one, people would be raving about it and forget (or forgive) its size ;)

PS: I prefer compact lenses too

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

No, I'm not referring to your comment, but to a general sentiment among this forum in this and other threads related to the Distagon that the lens is too bulky, yet I've never heard that many people share the same complains about the Noctilux.

I suspect that if the Distagon had a red dot instead of a blue one, people would be raving about it and forget (or forgive) its size ;)

PS: I prefer compact lenses too

Hi, usually I only write about lenses I own and use... The Noctilux I wanted to buy years ago. I did not like its bulk, weight and price.

Because I also wanted a faster lens, and had fewer 35mm lenses then, I bought the Nokton, having a similar bulk and weight as the Noctilux

to try some of the "Noctilux-experience".

I did and do not like using the Nokton very much. And this is why I do not have a Noctilux now.

But these considerations are highly personal, referring to my personal taste... ---

Lenses, like all complex technical products, have many properties. Their different manifestations are  estimated diferrently by different users.

So, there are many reasons for buying - or not buying - a specific lens.

(I try not be prejudiced ... I own and use M mount lenses from Leica, Voigtländer and ZEISS.) 

Edited by crony
Typo
  • Thanks 1

Size does (not) matter, it seems to be a very personal view. From my perspective (ex-Canon DSLR user) all lenses in the M universe are tiny ;)

From left to right:

1. Voigtlander VM Nokton 35mm 1.2 ASPH. II
  2. Noctilux-M 1:1/50 v4
  3. Zeiss Distagon T* 1.4/35 ZM

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M10 + Cosinon Auto MC 50mm 1:1.7

• Like 4

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, to obtain a balanced view, my 5 35mm lenses with mounted hood, as I use them :

(From left to right: Summarit 2,5/35, Summicron 2/35 v4, Zeiss Biogon 2/35, Zeiss Distagon 1,4/35, Voigtländer Nokton 1,2/35 v4.

To some, this might look like a call for donations, because 3 of my 35mm lenses are back-level (😁 ).)

• Like 5

Hi, looking at the pic of my M mount 35s, I found that some folks might find it a little misleading. 

The rear element of the ZEISS lenses extends around 4mm compared to the others.

A proper pictorial comparison would require a pic of the lenses sitting on identical rear caps, because this shows the real size in use when mounted.

Sorry ... 😭

Edited by crony
clarification
  • Like 2

On 5/27/2021 at 5:06 AM, Simone_DF said:

I really don't understand why people bash this lens for its size yet the Noctilux is considered ok.

It’s because people know that the Noctilux is indeed the smallest possible size while a Zeiss’ Noctilux would assuredly be 50% larger, as proven by all their lenses that are larger than they should be. That is why. 

44 minutes ago, Capuccino-Muffin said:

It’s because people know that the Noctilux is indeed the smallest possible size while a Zeiss’ Noctilux would assuredly be 50% larger, as proven by all their lenses that are larger than they should be. That is why. 

I'm sure every lens designer would like to hear your ideas on how to make the ZM 35/2 and 35/2.8 smaller.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Capuccino-Muffin said:

Yeah, the humongous Zeiss lenses that requires a sherpa to carry. My back is already crying thinking of all these Zeiss lenses, better start some workout or I won't be able to lift my 250g Zeiss Sonnar :rolleyes:

Zeiss makes both big and incredibly small lenses. The Sonnar and the Planar are two examples.

The Sonnar in particular is significantly smaller and lighter than the Summiux. I have both and I definitely feel the weight difference. I use and love them both for different reasons.

The 35mm f2 and 2.8 are also incredibly small. 

For the 35mm Distagon they went for ultimate quality sacrificing a bit of size. Sure you can get the 35mm Summilux, more or less the same weight but smaller footprint, but at the same time it suffers from field curvature while the Distagon doesn't. That is why.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1