Zeiss 35mm 1.4 Distagon user experience

Ertos

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Back when I was deciding on what 35mm lens to buy, I looked for user experiences with the Zeiss 35mm 1.4 Distagon but couldn't find that many. There are a few posts on the forum but there isn't all that much out there. Now that I own this lens and have used it for a while, I thought it makes sense to write a short blog post about it: https://www.erwinhartenbergphoto.com/post/a-new-point-of-view-the-zeiss-distagon-35mm-f1-4-zm 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Agree absolutely about those lens caps – cheap screw-in filter is the best answer. Used mine without the optional hood but, ultimately, gave up on the lens because of its weight on an M camera. Tempted now to try another as the new VC v3 seems to be not quite as wonderful as I had hoped for, from what others say.

• Like 1

For years, the Nikon 35mm f/1.4 was my favorite lens and my favorite focal length on my Nikon SLR film camera.

When I finally purchased my Leica M6 rangefinder, I knew that I wanted a 35mm f/1.4 for my first lens. I considered the Leica, Voitlander, and Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 lenses. I selected the Zeiss for the following reasons:

1. I had never used Leica or Voitlander lenses but was familiar with Zeiss lenses because I used two (28mm f/2 and 135mm f/2) on my Nikon SLR, I used four (21mm f/2.8, 28mm f/2.8, 45mm f/2, and 90mm f/2.8) on my Contax rangefinder, and I used one (12mm f/2..8) on my Fuji mirrorless digital.

2. Reviews of the 35mm f/1.4 Zeiss lens were very favorable.

3. The price of my 35mm f/1.4 Zeiss lens was half the price of the Leica.

Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 on M6 by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Edited by Narsuitus
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Narsuitus said:

1. I had never used Leica or Voitlander lenses but was familiar with Zeiss lenses because I used two (28mm f/2 and 135mm f/2

I had the 135 as well on my Nikon Df (and the 100 f2) - Fantastic lenses.....

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for your impressions.

I bought the Distagon a couple of weeks ago and I am really impressed of its quality with the M10. Many reviewers think, that it is one of the best 35mm lenses and I think they are absolutely right (https://sites.google.com/site/wosimsphotography/leica-camera-lens-reviews/links-testberichte-reviews/testberichte-objektive-leica-lens-reviews-28mm-35mm here are the reviews I found so far).

Only negative points: It is big and you have to buy the hood separately.

Best regards!

• 1 year later...

Hi, this could be a generic query for any lens really. I have the lens cap of this lens and don't want to put a hood. Is putting a filter generally enough for carrying around? I am careful with my camera anyway and mostly carry in a bag.

2 hours ago, Mahesh said:

Hi, this could be a generic query for any lens really. I have the lens cap of this lens and don't want to put a hood. Is putting a filter generally enough for carrying around? I am careful with my camera anyway and mostly carry in a bag.

I don't care for large hoods.  For my 50 'cron, I use a filter and step up rings as a hood.  That is, a 39mm filter, a 39-43mm ring, and a 43-46mm ring.  They also protect the lens (and filter) from frontal bumps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Danner said:

I don't care for large hoods.  For my 50 'cron, I use a filter and step up rings as a hood.  That is, a 39mm filter, a 39-43mm ring, and a 43-46mm ring.  They also protect the lens (and filter) from frontal bumps.

How did I forget this? I have done this in the past for another camera system and is a nifty trick.

Hi, the Distagon is the best of my 5 Mount lenses.

(My other 4 :

-Leica Summarit 2,5/35

-LEITZ Summicron 2/35 v4

-ZEISS Biogon 2/35

-VOIGTLÄNDER Nokton 1,2/35 v1.)

I do not like the fiddly lens cap, when the hood is fitted. I bought a bayonet hood made in China, at a reasonable price.

The review posted by padam showed that the Summilux FLE produces onion ring bokeh balls, so I do not need it, because my Nokton does this already.

On 5/24/2021 at 12:59 PM, crony said:

Hi, the Distagon is the best of my 5 Mount lenses.

(My other 4 :

-Leica Summarit 2,5/35

-LEITZ Summicron 2/35 v4

-ZEISS Biogon 2/35

-VOIGTLÄNDER Nokton 1,2/35 v1.)

I do not like the fiddly lens cap, when the hood is fitted. I bought a bayonet hood made in China, at a reasonable price.

The review posted by padam showed that the Summilux FLE produces onion ring bokeh balls, so I do not need it, because my Nokton does this already.

But which is your favourite?!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, haikos said:

But which is your favourite?!

Hi, I like my dear old Summicron best. I have it since 1988, bought with my M6 then. Maybe, it's a first love kind of thing ...

Next comes the Summarit.

My preferences for small lenses result from my appreciation of compactness, developed over the years. This is a matter of taste, of course.

Strange as it may sound, I like the results of the Distagon, not its bulk and weight ... ---

• Like 1