How many times would you use Ilfostop and Ilford Rapid Fixer

fatihayoglu

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

So I am planning to develop my B&W films at home and doing some research about concentration etc.

One thing i have found is, you can use Ilfostop and Ilford Rapid Fixer few times but there isn't any indication how many times.

To my understanding, Ilfostop has a dye in it, which will change color when it gets exhausted and again to my understanding each mix (1+19) can be used about 5 times, is this correct?

For Ilford Rapid Fixer, I get an indication about 10 times.

By times, I mean developing 2x 35mm films in Paterson tank.

Could you give me an indication?

Many thanks,

Fatih

PS I use TriX and HP5

Ilfostop starts off dark yellow, depending on how dilute you make it up, and gradually gets a lighter colour until it finally goes a blueish colour. It’s so relatively cheap that you can throw it out when it looses it’s yellow colour.

As for the fixer, it will last for a few film, if you have made up just enough for the developing tank you are using. You will soon know that it is time for fresh if the film is not clear when you take the top off the tank to take a look. In which case make up some fresh and finish the fixing in the fresh fixer. So long as the film is at least partially fixed it won’t come to any harm so long as you put it in some fresh fixer.

To test your fixer keep a piece of undeveloped film and put it in some fixer in daylight and see how quickly it clears.

Edited by Pyrogallol

I take the cut off leader from the film and run a quick test with fixer before processing the roll. I put developer, stop, fixer, and multiple rinse in beakers ready to pour in the tank. So just dip the leader in the beaker of fixer and time how long it takes to clear. (I also run the fixer through a filter funnel to fill the beaker to get rid of precipitants.)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, on the ilford photo website there's downloads available for each product, and that's where it tells you the life span of each one. I think it says the Rapid Fixer can be used for 24 rolls of 35mm film. 

1L of fixer *working solution* (i.e. 200ml fixer concentrate and 800ml water) is good for ~25 35mm or medium format rolls. An exception being Tmax 100 film, which is especially hard to fix and exhausts the fixer faster. Every Tmax 100 film you fix, it counts as 2. I.e. you can fix 12 Tmax rolls in 1L of fixer working solution. Of course, when nearing exhaustion, do the clip test just in case.

On 4/8/2020 at 5:28 AM, giannis said:

1L of fixer *working solution* (i.e. 200ml fixer concentrate and 800ml water) is good for ~25 35mm or medium format rolls. An exception being Tmax 100 film, which is especially hard to fix and exhausts the fixer faster. Every Tmax 100 film you fix, it counts as 2. I.e. you can fix 12 Tmax rolls in 1L of fixer working solution. Of course, when nearing exhaustion, do the clip test just in case.

That's pretty much my experience with a liter of TF-5 rapid fixer (from Photographers' Formulary), though it doesn't seem to exhaust as quickly fixing T-Max films as Kodak's rapid fixer.