Question about Q/Q2 Summilux lens

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am new to Leica. The Q/Q2 lens states its name as ‘Summilux ASPH’, at the same time i see there is a ‘Panasonic Summilux ASPH’. 

what is the difference between the two? Given that Panasonic branded lens are a lot cheaper. 

also, even though my Q2 says at the bottom plate ‘Made in Germany’, can the lens be one of the Panasonic produced Summilux in it?

thanks, and understand that i know little of Leica’s various branded items and history in general. 

If you mean THIS LENS then the differences are rather visible:

1° lens body is totally different and look *cheap"
2° 25mm
4° 1.4 aperture
5° Micro 3/4 form factor
6° 46mm filter diameter
7° no macro function

There is also the LUMIX G LEICA DG SUMMILUX Lens, 12mm, F1.4 ASPH and there is a ELMARIT series too.

I guess that the lens design and lenses itself are adapted to the Micro 3/4 factor and maybe made by Leica, ut thats all.
My Panasonic LX100 has a LEICA lens, my Huawai P30 as well, Leica is developing and probably manufacturing lenses for a lot of manufacturers.

Here is some more information about the Panasonic Leica lenses

Chris

I just stubled over this on the above linked Panasonic Page:

Zitat

“LEICA DG” is the name given to the lenses for the Panasonic LUMIX G Series of Digital Single Lens Mirrorless cameras. All LEICA DG Lenses are certified by Leica Camera AG and manufactured by Panasonic. “DG” stands for the Digital G Series.
The lens names, such as NOCTICRON, SUMMILUX, SUMMICRON, ELMARIT and ELMAR, are designated by Leica according to the maximum aperture (F-value). VARIO is a German designation that indicates zoom.

Edited by PhotoCruiser

2 hours ago, mynewleica said:

I am new to Leica. The Q/Q2 lens states its name as ‘Summilux ASPH’, at the same time i see there is a ‘Panasonic Summilux ASPH’. 

what is the difference between the two? Given that Panasonic branded lens are a lot cheaper. 

also, even though my Q2 says at the bottom plate ‘Made in Germany’, can the lens be one of the Panasonic produced Summilux in it?

thanks, and understand that i know little of Leica’s various branded items and history in general. 

The Panasonic lenses are mainly cheaper because they are for the smaller Micro Four Thirds format thus cheaper to produce. Panasonic Leica-branded lenses are designed by Panasonic in close cooperation with Leica and comply with Leica quality norms. Leica lenses can be and have been built in Japan as well. In the past some were built by Kyocera, for instance. The present CL lenses are built by an undisclosed Japanese manufacturer, some Leica R lenses were built by Sigma, etc.

The designation "made in Germany" means that the camera was assembled in Germany. However, most parts will be globally sourced. The Leica Q series has a large number of Panasonic components. Which is not a bad thing.

Only you can decide if you wasted your $$.  From my perspective after using my Q2, I can assuredly say that I got everything I paid and hoped for.  I have shot with nearly every brand out there over the course of some 55 years.  I will shoot with Leica any day of the week.

As far as ASPH optics go, you find them in predominantly wide angle lenses.  Higher quality optics containing ASPH segments will be hand polished glass whereas cheaper lenses use plastic resin instead.   

vor 21 Stunden schrieb Leica28:

From my perspective after using my Q2, I can assuredly say that I got everything I paid and hoped for.  I have shot with nearly every brand out there over the course of some 55 years.  I will shoot with Leica any day of the week.

I agree with you but there are some uses i would prefer - excluding the optical quality - another camera than the Q2.
I just know old mechanical Leicas and my Q2 and from the specs the SL2 could fit the gap where the Q2 start to be the wrong/uncomfortable camera.
Canon/Nikon prograde cameras have some neat software tricks who can be really helpful particularly in action sport photography,
but as i don't/rarely shoot such stuff i'm more than happy with the Q2.

Chris

16 minutes ago, PhotoCruiser said:

I agree with you but there are some uses i would prefer - excluding the optical quality - another camera than the Q2.
I just know old mechanical Leicas and my Q2 and from the specs the SL2 could fit the gap where the Q2 start to be the wrong/uncomfortable camera.
Canon/Nikon prograde cameras have some neat software tricks who can be really helpful particularly in action sport photography,
but as i don't/rarely shoot such stuff i'm more than happy with the Q2.

Chris

You’re describing why I still keep and occasionally use my Canon DSLR and many lenses. The Q2 simply is not a good fit for photographing action such as high speed airplanes, sports, birds...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mynewleica said:

Great discussion guys. 

Now i wonder did i spend $5K+ on a rebadged panasonic? 🤷‍♂️

Welcome to a globalized world - Industrial products are made out of components sourced from many makers. Leica is no exception. They design a product, source the parts they can, make the parts that cannot be sourced, and assemble to a unique product. Gone are the gnomes of yore, hammering their locally mined iron into those magical creations...🙄

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Leica28 said:

Only you can decide if you wasted your $$.  From my perspective after using my Q2, I can assuredly say that I got everything I paid and hoped for.  I have shot with nearly every brand out there over the course of some 55 years.  I will shoot with Leica any day of the week.

As far as ASPH optics go, you find them in predominantly wide angle lenses.  Higher quality optics containing ASPH segments will be hand polished glass whereas cheaper lenses use plastic resin instead.   

Yes, hand polished by Bavarian elves, they have particularly smooth yet slightly abrasive skin.

• Like 1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb earleygallery:

Yes, hand polished by Bavarian elves, they have particularly smooth yet slightly abrasive skin.

No, the bavarian elves polish BMW cars and especially motocycles.
Leica lenses are hand polished by Wetzlars town fairies with their silk like hair using their diamond like tears to wash them after and their virgin breath will apply the coating.
Trust me, i saw that!

Chris

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, PhotoCruiser said:

No, the bavarian elves polish BMW cars and especially motocycles.
Leica lenses are hand polished by Wetzlars town fairies with their silk like hair using their diamond like tears to wash them after and their virgin breath will apply the coating.
Trust me, i saw that!

Chris

Chris you are funny! 

8 hours ago, jaapv said:

Welcome to a globalized world - Industrial products are made out of components sourced from many makers. Leica is no exception. They design a product, source the parts they can, make the parts that cannot be sourced, and assemble to a unique product. Gone are the gnomes of yore, hammering their locally mined iron into those magical creations...🙄

Your reply makes the most sense to me. 

just to clarify to every one here, I purchased my Q2 after a few months of research and buying/returning other products. What i actually wanted was only available here. I bought the Sony RX1RII as well as a Leica Q-P. Nice cameras, but returned both for one reason or another. Maybe a topic for another thread a different time. 

i still have my Canon EOS-R with EF 70-200 lens. The Q2 simply cant do everything. But then it can do so much the other mirrorless camera I have simply can’t.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 9:33 PM, Leica28 said:

I could not agree more. 

And I wonder how somebody could fork over $5k+ without knowing exactly what they were getting.

I have done exactly that on several occasions; Leica cameras and lenses are the one thing I will buy sight unseen with no worries or concerns.  Tens of thousands of Leica users around the world do the same year in, year out.

I think that speaks volumes about Leica's reliability, dependability, craftsmanship, performance, image quality and value for dollars spent. 

Yes, value for dollars spent.  A company whose products are overpriced will ultimately struggle and founder.  Leica has been making cameras longer than Nikon (1914 vs. 1917).  Leica cannot build cameras and lenses fast enough to satisfy the demand for them.  That says something.

Leica will never be touted as a Consumer Reports best buy.  But then neither will the wristwatches made by Patek Philippe or Vacheron Constantin. 

Edited by Herr Barnack

The Q2 is undoubtedly an expensive camera, but the lens is truly superb, and the matching of lens with sensor makes it special. BTW, has anyone checked the price of the Summilux-M 28 f1.4 ASPH recently?  It's about $7300 at B&H, camera body not included.

• Like 1

vor 10 Stunden schrieb robgo2:

BTW, has anyone checked the price of the Summilux-M 28 f1.4 ASPH recently?  It's about $7300 at B&H, camera body not included.

I checked the price for
8595$  21mm Sumilux f/1.4 for M
5095$ 35mm Summilcron F/2.0 for SL
4895$  28mm Sumicron f/2 ASPH for M

Certainly much more expensive lenses than the Panasonic ones, the question is how they perform.

The same sensor and bigger housing SL2 would be another almost 6000$ what sums up to whopping 11K for a rather similar camera and lens package.
This makes the Q/Q2 a excellent bang for the buck as the buyer get the lens with the attached camera for free.

Even if i could afford the 11K forr the SL2 with 35mm lens, i am very fine with the Q2 as weight, size and particularly thats impossible to buy more lenses fir my needs.

Chris

• Like 1