Question about MP (or similar) meter

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have sometimes noticed that when I look into the viewfinder I see a red dot which seems to look like a tiny laser pointer. Frankly (and funnily) I first thought that some neighbor is playing around pointing a laser into the house but I soon realized that the light meter is actually creating some sort of reflection inside the viewfinder which makes me see this tiny red light speck when I look through it. 

Has anyone else noticed or experienced this? It’s a very small dot. I guess there is a lot of glass in the viewfinder and it may be possible for this to occur at some angles... I notice it on occasion, definitely not every time. Let’s say 1 out of 10-20. 

I hope my description makes sense. 

Edited by gabrielaszalos

I knew someone was bound to make fun of me. I don’t mean the red dot of the light meter, obviously. It’s a vey tiny red reflection on another part of the “image” (by image I mean what I see in the viewfinder not the final image). 

Just now, mediumformula said:

This means your exposure is set properly. 

4 minutes ago, gabrielaszalos said:

I knew someone was bound to make fun of me. I don’t mean the red dot of the light meter, obviously. It’s a vey tiny red reflection on another part of the “image” (by image I mean what I see in the viewfinder not the final image). 

:)  It's prob just a reflection.  I dont think it will impact your photos.  And prob nothing is wrong w the camera. 

Yeah, definitely won’t impact photos. I was just curious about my discovery and if anyone else noticed it. Looking through the viewfinder in dark seems to be one way of reproducing it. I tried to take a photo but it’s hard with my phone. 

Something like this, but smaller when looking with the eye. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

vor 1 Stunde schrieb gabrielaszalos:

I have sometimes noticed that when I look into the viewfinder I see a red dot which seems to look like a tiny laser pointer. Frankly (and funnily) I first thought that some neighbor is playing around pointing a laser into the house but I soon realized that the light meter is actually creating some sort of reflection inside the viewfinder which makes me see this tiny red light speck when I look through it. 

Has anyone else noticed or experienced this? It’s a very small dot. I guess there is a lot of glass in the viewfinder and it may be possible for this to occur at some angles... I notice it on occasion, definitely not every time. Let’s say 1 out of 10-20. 

I hope my description makes sense. 

Just had a look at my MP: no, nothing like that. Possibly a tiny stain or dust in your finder.   Wait and see, if there should ever be the need of taking off the cap, have the finder glass cleaned... 

K. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kl@usW. said:

Just had a look at my MP: no, nothing like that. Possibly a tiny stain or dust in your finder.   Wait and see, if there should ever be the need of taking off the cap, have the finder glass cleaned... 

K. 

I just checked and I don’t see this either. 

It can’t be stain or dust because it moves at the same time as I move the camera, it’s clearly a reflection. Also it’s kinda hard to reproduce so even if your MP might have it you may have just not been able to reproduce it. You have to look through the viewfinder at different angles and it’s most noticeable if it’s dark. 

I figured it out. It only happens when I place my eye at a certain distance from the viewfinder. I never go all the way close to avoid leaving marks on the glass. The dot becomes concentrated and then diffuses into nothing as I move away or closer to the viewfinder with my eye. It’s definitely a reflection. It might even be reflected from my eye but perhaps that’s crazy? This is all fine I’m sure now. 

9 hours ago, mediumformula said:

Just take pictures :)

Probably the best suggestion :) 

Edited by gabrielaszalos

10 hours ago, gabrielaszalos said:

A lot of posts here paint a bad image of Leica (especially the MPs) so I get this type of thinking and paranoia. I sometimes wonder if I should maybe stop looking at the forum, but contributing and being part of a community is appealing to me. 

It is not confined to Leica or even cameras. Some people on these forums seem hell bent on making some sort of a point. Most, like you and I, are just happy to get out and take photos.

32 minutes ago, Matlock said:

It is not confined to Leica or even cameras. Some people on these forums seem hell bent on making some sort of a point. Most, like you and I, are just happy to get out and take photos.

I just meant the posts with actual legit problems. Seeing those increased that thinking. I am definitely happy to get out and take photos. Or, in times like these, even stay in and take photos :) Here’s one:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5