Buying new gear in the economy crisis

raphael

Some prices will drop, others will stay as they are, the recession has not really bitten yet..  I would think bay' prices might drop first, retailers will hold on as long as possible. Don't forget Leica set their prices which generally cannot be substantially discounted, used prices are always open to a friendly discussion between seller and proposed buyer.. Whenever you buy, there will always be a better priced deal down the line..   L

• Thanks 1

There are also online stores, and those operating both retail shops and online. Online, at least, should be less affected (other than by demand), since for the most part I understand courier deliveries can still take place. Of course, the retailers will eventually need to replenish stock, and this will depend on the supply chain, especially factory production.

Whether prices will change will depend on demand and the type of product - Leica, buy way of example, is not in the FMCG category.

I purchased a bag on offer from the LFI shop a few weeks ago. Once the lock downs were announced I contacted LFI as I had not received a delivery notification.  I asked for the delivery to be delayed till after the pandemic or the order cancelled.  I did not want to be responsible for someone having to go into the office and pack it plus delivery men etc. I heard nothing from them, but the bag was delivered yesterday.  I will not be ordering online again until after the pandemic.  

Edited by Ted Lemon

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hopefully, it will encourage Leica to increase their quality control issues with the SL Lens line suffering with stiff focusing rings, and motors that scrape, moan and groan.

Perhaps they will feel a sense of urgency to provide the SL2 owners with firmware that will actually make the camera work to listed spec, instead of continuous giving the not enough battery power error on burst shooting, and 4K recording. 

I have already returned the lens as defective, and most likely will also have to return the body. However, I hope that they were able to have their firmware engineers work on solutions. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2020 at 9:38 AM, stuny said:

If possible, this is an ideal time to support your local dealer, getting what you want and helping keep the dealer in business.

This is how I justified to myself  buying the limited edition 75 Cron in silver from a local Leica dealer. 

On 5/10/2020 at 12:22 AM, dkmoore said:

This is how I justified to myself  buying the limited edition 75 Cron in silver from a local Leica dealer. 

Good point here. I have already contacted my local dealer to try out some kit when he can open up his business.