35mm Lens for M9

Edwin Ho

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, wizard said:

They are easy to distinguish: True and original LTM lenses have a minimum focusing distance of 1m (as indicated on the lens barrel), whereas M mount lenses have an indicated minimum focusing distance of either 0.7m (if they are without goggles) or 0.65m (the ones with goggles for Leica M3).

There is also a true LTM lenses with a minimum focusing distance of 0.7m. This version included an M mount adapter. This is the dual mount version I mentioned in a previous post and this is the version I have.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb ianman:

There is also a true LTM lenses with a minimum focusing distance of 0.7m. This version included an M mount adapter. This is the dual mount version ...

To the best of my knowledge, those versions were never intended by Leitz to be dual mount. Instead, those were the early M mount versions, which were based on the LTM version and were factory fitted with an LTM to M mount adapter (which was, however, not intended to be removed). There is a tiny screw which holds the adapter in place. Similar versions of other lenses existed as well, e.g. the Summicron 2/90mm. Sometimes the adapter was glued into place. All those lenses were calibrated with the adapter, as they were sold as M mount lenses (as no other M mount lenses of that particular type was available at the time). As far as I know, those lenses were never sold as "dual mount", and while they may work correctly on an LTM camera, there is no guarantee that they will (they may have to be calibrated). The only true LTM lenses are the ones with a minimum focusing distance of 1m.

The only original dual mount lens that I know of is the Summicron 50mm v2 (the rigid Summicron) where you could buy an LTM helicoil and an M mount helicoil and a single lens head, and both helicoils were factory calibrated to match with that single lens head and were both marked with the serial number of that particular lens head.

Edited by wizard
typo corrected

Hi guys,

sombody cited my long-out-of-date Summaron-ad...

I have no clue why this zombie is still around...

Even at that bargain price, only 1 year ago, my LTM Summaron (back then rated higher than all other versions)  with SBLOO included(!) was sitting around two ad sessions/1 month to find a new home.

Before the (apparently necessary) update of LUF, the classifieds were vivid and frequently you had some 50-70 ads to choose from.

I had built up a nice, though tiny feedback; both buying &selling.

All gone. 

And the ad section here sadly never recovered from this informatic core assault...

Instead, featuring fossils to make newbees think here, yeah, something´s going on...

Sorry, nope.

Good light!

Knut

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Knut said:

sombody cited

Yes that was me. Can’t agree more with what you say about the Classifieds, sad indeed. I’d buy rather buy here than from eBay

So after much consideration (and deliberation), I have decided on my choice for the 35mm focal length.

I have placed an order for a Voigtlander 35mm f/1.4 ii M mount; affordability was a major factor in my decision making process.

Thank you all for your contributions and suggestions. Other considerations:

• No need to purchase an adapter for a LTM lens.
  • Warranty from manufacturer.
  • I can use the added speed of 1.4 if I have to (particularly for M9 ISO performance).
  • Compact size.
  • New and not preowned, negates the possibility of purchasing a faulty len.
  • Like 1

Boo-hoo! (Just joking 😜) No, Voigtlander is optically a very trustworthy company, I don’t know the 35/1.4 but they certainly have very special lenses of which I owned a few. Thanks for giving the result, often neglected here. 

Edited by otto.f
  • Thanks 1