35mm Lens for M9

Edwin Ho

Advertisement (gone after registration)

51 minutes ago, Shameetman said:

I heard some rumors that both summarit lenses are optically the same. So there would be no difference between the 2.4 and 2.5 , just marketing. But they're rumors..

2.4 is too big for such slow lens. 2.5 is just like OP 28 lens, has same filter size.

And it was confirmed by Leica to have aspherical element.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ko.Fe. said:

2.4 is too big for such slow lens. 2.5 is just like OP 28 lens, has same filter size.

And it was confirmed by Leica to have aspherical element.

Still smaller compared to the Lux. Only the Cron 35 is smaller, but comes at a premium of +1000 $

3 hours ago, Shameetman said:

Still smaller compared to the Lux. Only the Cron 35 is smaller, but comes at a premium of +1000 $

Personally, I'm not associating myself with Leica current prices. 2200$ for 35 2.4. 3.700$ for 35 2.  

I went for new 35 1.4 VM lens under 650$. And my Summarit 35 2.5 was 1200$ then I purchased it new in 2015.

14 hours ago, Shameetman said:

I heard some rumors that both summarit lenses are optically the same. So there would be no difference between the 2.4 and 2.5 , just marketing. But they're rumors..

If I go the Leica way, I plan to get them new from my regular trusted approved Leica dealer in Perth. Purchasing the f/2.5 used will not be cost effective due:

• Used price on ebay will be quite close to current new price of the f/2.4
  • Current exchange rate from USD to AUD is not favourable
  • In addition, I will have to pay for shipping plus GST tax for any item above AUD 1000.00
  • I do not have the privilege of warranty from Leica or the local dealer.

FYI, be it f/2.5 or f/2.4, it is plenty good enough for me at least for now, but thank you for the suggestion.

I have further plan down the road - to own the M10, and I am also doing my research now but I digress.

Meanwhile I am in the process to learn and improve skills in street photography to "shoot people in stealth". This will be a separate topic by itself. I visited the "street photograph" section in LUF where I find a wealth of information.

2 hours ago, Edwin Ho said:

If I go the Leica way, I plan to get them new from my regular trusted approved Leica dealer in Perth. Purchasing the f/2.5 used will not be cost effective due:

• Used price on ebay will be quite close to current new price of the f/2.4
  • Current exchange rate from USD to AUD is not favourable
  • In addition, I will have to pay for shipping plus GST tax for any item above AUD 1000.00
  • I do not have the privilege of warranty from Leica or the local dealer.

FYI, be it f/2.5 or f/2.4, it is plenty good enough for me at least for now, but thank you for the suggestion.

I have further plan down the road - to own the M10, and I am also doing my research now but I digress.

Meanwhile I am in the process to learn and improve skills in street photography to "shoot people in stealth". This will be a separate topic by itself. I visited the "street photograph" section in LUF where I find a wealth of information.

I have a question for 35mm Summarit owners - f/2.5 or f/2.4, does either of these lenses vignette?

18 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Nothing better than a 39mm filter size. You can use all the astoundingly good old school Leica filters (for your future MM1 for instance). If there was one big advantage of the 2.5 series it was that you can put your M9 with 50 or 35 in your inside jacket pocket. From what I’ve read and seen I do not see an IQ reason for the 2.4 series in hindsight. Leica discontinued this line recently btw, which does not mean that they become cheaper. 
BTW if you have only two lenses soon, don’t you think 35 and 28 is a bit close?

Edited by otto.f

Advertisement (gone after registration)

46 minutes ago, otto.f said:

The 28 was purchased when I first had the M8 which was traded in for the M9. Now you've got me thinking!

19 minutes ago, Edwin Ho said:

The 28 was purchased when I first had the M8 which was traded in for the M9. Now you've got me thinking!

That happened to me too. I found the 28 on the M8 marvellous! There are quite some forum members who like the 28 - 50 combination. I prefer 35 with 50 or 75

2 hours ago, otto.f said:

That happened to me too. I found the 28 on the M8 marvellous! There are quite some forum members who like the 28 - 50 combination. I prefer 35 with 50 or 75

It is likely I'll keep the 28 for now and sell it later to finance the 75. In my opinion a 35/75 combination is ideal for me on the M9. Never liked the 50 somehow and I sold the f/2 some time back together with the M6.

FYI, I do also own the 5D3 with the two L zooms, plus a Sigma prime 35mm 1.4  Art lens which I find it rather heavy and don't use much. Having said this the video on 5D3 does come in handy sometimes. I do not wish to dwell too much on 5D3 as this is a Leica forum.

Once again, thank you for your input and I must say the responses I've been receiving from this post alone challenges me to consider various options.

Glad I returned to LUF after a  long absence and you folks have been very helpful indeed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, otto.f said:

Nothing better than a 39mm filter size. You can use all the astoundingly good old school Leica filters (for your future MM1 for instance). If there was one big advantage of the 2.5 series it was that you can put your M9 with 50 or 35 in your inside jacket pocket. From what I’ve read and seen I do not see an IQ reason for the 2.4 series in hindsight. Leica discontinued this line recently btw, which does not mean that they become cheaper. 

Don't know about OP :) 

I never paid extra money for Leica filters. I use another German filters brand. No, I had slap on filter for some old Leitz lens. :)

I never toss my cameras into dusty pockets. I have dedicated bag.

Personally,  the only big reason I see in use of Leica  is  street  photography.  Not street or backs photography, but how GW did it.

Once  you on this territory, 28 and 35 are miles apart.

:)

Pending a final decision on the 35mm, I have just placed a backorder for the 75mm Summarit f/2.4.

I was informed by my regular Leica dealer that a new 35mm may be in the pipeline. Till when, I do not know but I am prepared to

"seat out" on this. Meanwhile it will be a M9/28/75 combo. Apart from the frame line issue and vignetting I am quite happy with the 28 Elmarit ASPH.

Thank you all who contributed to my post.

On 4/4/2020 at 10:30 PM, Ko.Fe. said:

Once  you on this territory, 28 and 35 are miles apart.

:)

Could you please elaborate what you mean by "miles apart" with reference to street photography, thank you.

Difference for "street" 28/35 can be seen in Garry Winogrand "work".

some thoughts

I just can't imagine him using 35mm !

some of his "work"

Each focal length is something very personal perception and not transferable, in most case with distance to the subject of interest.

Edited by a.noctilux

1 hour ago, a.noctilux said:

Each focal length is something very personal perception and not transferable, in most case with distance to the subject of interest.

Pointed noted, it boils down to personal preference. The 35 will give me a bit of an "extra reach".

46 minutes ago, Edwin Ho said:

Pointed noted, it boils down to personal preference. The 35 will give me a bit of an "extra reach".

Or this can become "important element cropped" depending on where you are standing (or walking/ sitting ! ) from the subject.

Only some practices can answer if you are comfortable with 28mm or 35mm or why not 50/75mm, etc.

The good thing with M is that I shape my "framing" basing on the lens mounted on the camera.

That needs some long practices.

Edited by a.noctilux

1 minute ago, a.noctilux said:

Only some practices can answer if you are comfortable with 28mm or 35mm or why not 50/75mm, etc.

No, I find 50mm being too close to 75mm. Not forgetting I would also like the idea of the 35/75 combo for travel.

I actually had the 50mm Summicron; did not warm up to that focal length, so I sold it.

Good move, so no more 50mm to bother with.

I think that the next combo as you stated must be great "35/75" (may I think that this combo has one too many lens ! 😇 just joking as I use so many lenses that I can't count ).

Don't take this as example ...

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/302110-two-35mm-lenses/?tab=comments#comment-3831095

Edited by a.noctilux

What about getting the 7 elements Summicron? It’s as small as it gets and great rendering too. Or the summaron 35mm f2.8. Zeiss lenses are great but annoy me with the 1/3 aperture stops (do you really need 1/3 aperture stops?! lol I prefer full stop aperture in the old Leica lenses but oh well I guess it’s personal taste :p ) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a.noctilux said:

I think that the next combo as you stated must be great "35/75" (may I think that this combo has one too many lens ! 😇 

That's the point, I am trying to keep my sanity and stay within the boundaries of a balanced and affordable two-lens combo for street or travel photography. As for me, less is more!

I believe after much deliberation I've found my sweet spot.

9 hours ago, Edwin Ho said:

Could you please elaborate what you mean by "miles apart" with reference to street photography, thank you.

9 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Difference for "street" 28/35 can be seen in Garry Winogrand "work".

some thoughts

I just can't imagine him using 35mm !

some of his "work"

GW started with regular 50mm for candids, he even worked with tele (some of his earlier, assigned work).

He used 35mm in addition to 28mm around Animals (where are pictures of him from this time with second camera and 35mm lens),  28 was in use a lot, he also liked 21 FOV, but didn't accepted distortions, later GW was going narrower again (he told about it in available on-line interview).

It is matter of practice and time to start differentiate focal lengths on the street. And what are you into.

I started with 50, since it is easiest to get, most common and HCB :)  Soon I realized it is not the downtown lens. 

After getting Olympus XA (35mm lens) my street photography started for real. I used this focal length for years. Moving from  Bessa R and Color Skopar 35 2.5 to M4-2 and Summarit-M 35 2.5.  I'm finding any M with small to medium size 35mm to be great for all kit. It works on streets, but after studying thousands of GW images I keep on trying to use 28.

To get decent street candid with 28mm you really have to plow through crowded streets like GW did.  IMO.

28mm on M-E 220.

28mm is not social distancing lens, but you get more in the frame. With 35mm you have to be distanced if you want more in the frame.

• jaapv changed the title to 35mm Lens for M9