Ergonomics of Summilux 35mm 1.4FLE vs 50mm 1.4 (ASPH)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I currently have a Leica MP with the Summilux 50mm ASPH lens. I love it. I sometimes miss the 35mm focal length however, especially when shooting inside the house with family. I feel it's much more suited for when you're part of the action and closer to people, besides the other technical differences this focal length offers. However there is one thing I could not find online no matter how much I search (also no real video reviews on 35mm FLE). I am interested in the ergonomics of these two lenses compared.

• How does the size and weight compare to the Summilux 50mm that I have?
  • If anyone has a Leica MP with the Summilux 50mm ASPH and also the latest Summilux 35mm ASPH FLE, can you please post some photos from above so I can see the size difference?

It would really help me out because there is no Leica store where I live and I can't go and see them, I can only order online.

Edited by gabrielaszalos

I have both a Summilux 50mm ASPH and a Summilux 35mm ASPH FLE (but no MP).
The size difference is hardly. They are already larger than the Summicrons or as the Summarits
The quality is fantastic for both. If you can afford it, then Both.

There are photos e.g. in the Leica online shop, including weight.

Frerk

I have all three and in my opinion the 50 Lux is the best fitting lens that Leica makes in my opinion. It’s weighted perfectly, not to big, not to small, and all mechanical functions are perfect.

the 35 Lux FLE is a little fatter but that is about it. Blocks a little of the finder but that doesn’t bother me. If I want exact framing I’m probably not using a rangefinder. Focus throw is perfect in my view. A lot of this is subjective but you will find almost zero bad reviews of either Of these lenses out there because they are both in the top lenses Leica makes. 

• Like 3

35 Lux FLE with and without hood on a M240 compared to the 50 Lux ASPH on a MP.

Sorry for the iPhone pics but it should give you an idea.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Perfect! Thanks a lot! This really helps. I think I will get the 35 too. I am just hesitant because having one lens simplifies things a bit and eliminates thoughts like “which lens should I take”, “I should’ve taken the other lens”, etc because I will definitely not be carrying more than one at a time. I guess I can think about it while I raise the remainder of the funds :)

My personal favorite has always been the 50 but I also love the 35 focal length, especially when meeting family and friends indoors. 

Edited by gabrielaszalos
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 minutes ago, mediumformula said:

I would just shoot with the 50.  I think only using one lens, esp a 50, is better for your photography. 

I wish I could be totally convinced of this too. Maybe if you elaborate a bit from your experience?

It’s hard to get a good shot with a 35, but when I do, it’s really beautiful. The only reason holding me back is as I’ve described: always being concerned about which lens to use. This can end up going two ways:

1. The positive outcome: I will realize in time which is best for what (for my personal style) and stop having this thought. 

2. The less positive: I will realize I like one of then more for everything and leave the other one less used. If this happens it will likely be the 50 that will stay on camera because I love portraits. 

I am also thinking that I might buy a digital Leica too in the future (maybe if a new model of something like an M10-D comes out) or another camera for video and then it will be nice to have a 35. Leica can also be adapted to Fuji cameras and I really like the X-T4 especially for video...

13 hours ago, gabrielaszalos said:

I wish I could be totally convinced of this too. Maybe if you elaborate a bit from your experience?

It’s hard to get a good shot with a 35, but when I do, it’s really beautiful. The only reason holding me back is as I’ve described: always being concerned about which lens to use. This can end up going two ways:

1. The positive outcome: I will realize in time which is best for what (for my personal style) and stop having this thought. 

2. The less positive: I will realize I like one of then more for everything and leave the other one less used. If this happens it will likely be the 50 that will stay on camera because I love portraits. 

I am also thinking that I might buy a digital Leica too in the future (maybe if a new model of something like an M10-D comes out) or another camera for video and then it will be nice to have a 35. Leica can also be adapted to Fuji cameras and I really like the X-T4 especially for video...

I started photography on an AE-1 in the 90s and all I had was the 50mm 1.8 lens that came with the camera.  I used that for years.  Then I got a Rolleiflex and it has a built in 80mm (50mm equivalent).  So I'm just accustomed to that focal length.  I have also debated getting a 35mm lens for my Leica but so far have managed to talk myself out of it.  Mainly because I know that I'll just want to shoot the 50. 

The Leica has a frame preview lever on it.  When you're shooting your 50, why not start seeing what the 35mm frame lines would give you.  If you're constantly wishing you had the 35mm frame line up then get a 35mm lens.  I like composing in-camera so the 50mm is good for this. 

• Like 1

Good idea, I have already started doing that somewhat. I think what you're proposing is a great plan. FWIW I also find myself always gravitating towards the 50mm. I don't think I'll ever be wishing to have something up that I've never owned because I just aren't looking at the world like that. I look at the world based on what lens I have on. After owning both, that's when I might start wishing I had the other one, which is exactly what I was talking about earlier (problems that another lens could bring) :) 

There is only one situation where I feel I could've really used the 35mm, and that's when I'm indoors with multiple people (family, friends) and want to take a shot which includes a bigger group interacting. Backing out with the 50mm creates a bit of a distance when viewing the photo which the 35mm doesn't...

(kept editing, sorry about that... grammar failures)

Edited by gabrielaszalos

I only have 35mm & 50mm for Leica, and if I had to reduce it to one lens I do think the 35mm is more versatile because you can do pretty much everything with it (portraits look great as Leica 35mm lenses have no distortion, it's great for group shots or travel photography too, great for street photography, and easier to use than 50mm due to being able to put it at f8 and get everything from 3m to infinity in focus). 

I do think 50mm looks better in terms of 3D pop, Bokeh, and portraits, but for the rest it's a bit too limiting. 

By the way @gabrielaszalos I don't have any of the said lenses anymore, but if I had to keep one lens only the lux 35mm is probably the most amazing Leica lens and can do everything really well. It's much better compared to the summicron 35mm asph which to me always looks boring. 

The reason I don't have both anymore is simply because I prefer smaller & lighter lens, and also the more classical rendering of pre-asph lenses (my favorite lens is the 35mm 8e & the 50mm rigid). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your input. To me, I would not be able to live without the 50mm. It’s my favorite focal length. The 35mm is more like a potential necessity, but the I am not yet convinced that the benefits it brings outweigh the negatives (having more than just one lens). 

As a side note, I have been photographing for ages (with digital) and did experience both 35 and 50 which are my favourites. The 35 got used a lot less but when it was needed it was great to have it!

I will follow @mediumformula’s advice and simply switch the rangefinder frame lines on occasion when and if I get the feeling a 35 would do better, and judge based on that experience. 

Edited by gabrielaszalos
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have 35, 40, 45, 50, and 55mm lenses for a variety of 35mm cameras. Ergonomically, there is no significant difference between them. I rarely carry more than one of these lenses at the same time.

My personal favorite for general shooting is the 35mm.

My personal favorite for shooting theatre is the 50mm.

My personal favorite for shooting portraits of couples is the 55mm.

My personal favorite for shooting environmental portraits is the 35mm.

• Like 1