Advertisement (gone after registration)

In my case, motor mania really kicks into high gear when I encounter a car like this. The very first production Ferrari 250 GT Lusso ever made, and the first of only three 'Competizione' versions produced. Not nearly as hardcore as the SWB Competizione, nor the 250 GTO, rather, more of a nod to the amateur racer who wanted a roadworthy 'Gentleman's Express' GT first & foremost, but one he could enter in suitable races with a reasonable chance of success.

What's not to love - here you have what is generally considered to be Ferrari's & Pininfarina's most beautiful car ever, lightgened,  mildly modified engine....and perfectly street legal.

M240-P / 35mm Summilux FLE

JZG

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One-off '54 Bentley Type R  Gooda Special 'lightweight' coupe.

I had seen this car many times at various Concours, cars & coffee and on various race tracks and rallies, and heard stories from owners and others claiming to have the story straight from the horse's mouth, that it was originally a normal Bentley sedan, that it was first purchased by Ian Fleming, that the car was rolled and heavily damaged, but all the stories told to me converged at one point -- in 1966 the car was owned by a certain Robert 'Bob' Gooda, an Englishman  who commissioned Robert Peel in Leicester to perform a complete redo. If indeed it was originally a sedan ( the serial # indicates it was )  it obviusly had to be modified considerably to receive its alloy body, the 4.6 liter in-line 6 cylinder motor was modified with additional SU carbs, a standard shift transmission was installed, the suspension was upgraded & strengthened steel wheels were added, and it was finished off with a red-leather interior with 2 lightweight seats and the highly visible white racing stripe over a BRG exterior paint job.

Talking to people who've driven the car, I've been told it feels nothing like the staid old Bentley sedan as which it started, rather more like an Aston-Martin and that it is a real joy to drive. 

It would be an understatement to call the car's appearance anything but unconventional, with all the louvres, vents, Kamm rear-end treatment and rally lights, and freely admit that I was quite smitten by it, yet, I saw this car going to auction a few time, always at wildly differing prices.

I believe at this time the car is back in its native England.

M9-P / 35 Summicron Asph. IV

JZG

• Like 5

The side view

JZG

• Like 5

.......and the surprising rear view of this very interesting car.

JZG

JZG

• Like 5

This one's for Graham.

A very original 1930 Morgan Aero Super Sport three-wheeler, Ser. # M 318.

No proper vintage race meeting would be complete without a few early 'Big Reds' out on track.

M240-P / 35mm Summilux FLE

JZG

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

'56 Austin-Healy 100..............in my opinion the best, most fun-to-drive A-H ever made. Great car, but hardly a practical choice as a daily driver for a starving university student in Chicago.

SL / 24-90 V.E.

JZG

• Like 2

As long as we're bantering back & forth about Austin --Healey 100-4s.............. I recall seeing this beautiful example many times during my time in California. Finally got to talk to the owner and found out that it started out as a newly purchased 1956 A-H 100-4 BN2 model , which the then-owner turned over to California metalworks  ( the same outfit that built the Shelby Cobra Coupes ) for modifications according to his own design, soon after he bought it.

I'd say they both did a perfectly cerditable job .

M9-P / 35 Summicron Asph IV

JZGj

• Like 5

Even better from this vantage point,  I submit.............although if it were mine I'd have to address those stock bumpers.

Thank for looking,

JZG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

No idea why he decided to show up at the annual Porsche club Concours with a brand-new McLaren sporting a Porsche hood badge - P envy I suppose.....but there it is.

SL / 24-90 V.E.

JZG

is.

• Haha 4

In the absence of anything else even remotley interesting, automotively speaking of course, available in Idaho in late winter, I went to a local indoor Hot Rod show yesterday, if for no other reason but to get out of the house and to practice with the remarkably good 16-35 S.V.E lens.........and saw this.,

Can you imagine the reaction you would encounter if you were to try to obtain TÜV certification for such an 'apparatus'.

SL / 16-35

JZG

ÜV certification for this 'aparatus'
  • Like 3

New to the stable, the 'Dynamic Duo's' last purchase. 1961 Morris Minor Traveler

For picnics only

M10-P, Summilux-M 1:1.4/50 ASPH

Edited by pattyfrank
  • Like 3

They are great little cars Patty.  One of my fellow Prescott marshals has one (mind you he also has Alvis and various others).  Great for shopping trips and the dog loves it because she can easily enter/exit and has plenty of room at the back. :)

• Thanks 1