Focusing with Zeiss ZM lenses

wolan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I plan to buy a Biogon 35mm f2 or Distagon 35mm Zeiss for rangefinder cameras (that is, the ZM version).

The first question I have is: can I focus with the rangefinder as I'd do with the corresponding Leica lens? In other words, are they coupled with the rangefinder?

Do you see any drawback in using these lenses instead of the Leicas?

Would you recommend the Zeiss ZM over the Leicas?

Thank you.

Yes, you can use the ZM lenses same way as your Leica lenses, they are coupled with the rangefinder. About their quality, there are many tests and comparisons available, including here in the forum and I understand so far, that the ZM lenses are of high quality and performance. Personally I cannot comment on the 35mm ZM lenses, I only keep a Distagon 4/18, which is superb in its optical and mechanical properties.

• Like 1

The ZM lenses focus accurately on the Leica M cameras and, from my experience, are of very high quality.  Erwin Puts' site has the best reviews to date, covering most of the line (imx.nl).  It really is more of a question if you prefer the Zeiss "look" compared to Leica out of the camera, but Photoshop or Lightroom is an equalizer.  The biggest drawback is that some ZM lenses cannot be 6-bit modified as there is a screw in the place where the code needs to be.  This is supposedly important only for wide angle lenses and does not matter as much for 50mm and longer.  If you have an M10, then one ZM lens can be set up for the default manual code.

• Like 2

I have the Biogon 35/2 since many years. Never really got to like it very much, though. Maybe it's because it feels so different to handle compared to Leica lenses. Stiffly turning focusing ring, which they couldn't make much better even at Zeiss service in Germany. Aperture ring actually feels nicer than on many Leica lenses. Optical quality seems ok, although I recall Erwin Puts being of the opinion that Zeiss may have "stretched" the design a bit too much to reach the speed of 2.0.

I eventually bought a Summicron 35/2 ASPH, which I like a lot. 

13 hours ago, wolan said:

Hi,

I plan to buy a Biogon 35mm f2 or Distagon 35mm Zeiss for rangefinder cameras (that is, the ZM version).

Good Choice

The first question I have is: can I focus with the rangefinder as I'd do with the corresponding Leica lens? In other words, are they coupled with the rangefinder?

Yes

No

No

Thank you.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have both a ZM Planar 50 f2 and a Biogon f2. The focus action on both is as light or lighter than my Leica equivalents. Build quality is very good. The Planar is quite close to the Summicron in size and performance, with a slight edge to the Leica at f2. The Biogon seems large for a 35 f2 RF lens, but the images are nice, especially stopped down a bit. I prefer a smaller 35, so normally use a Summarit 2.5. The Zeiss lenses both have good contrast, and are nice for overcast and shade. I normally can’t be sure if an image was shot with Leica or Zeiss - they are that good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I started my Leica M adventure with the M9 and the Zeiss 28mm f/2 Biogon and the 50mm Sonnar f/1.5. Sold the 50mm Sonnar because of the annoying focus shift, and bought the 50mm Summilux instead. Last year I added the Zeiss 18/4 (which b.t.w. isn't manufactured anymore), and 600 euro for a near mint lens WITH a Zeiss 18mm viewfinder was a real no-brainer.

I really like the Zeiss lenses. Sure they're not crons or luxes, but their price/performance is excellent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/1/2020 at 5:39 AM, wolan said:

Hi,

Thank you.

I have both the Zeiss ZM 35 distagon and Leica 35 Summilux FLE. Focus works just fine. Zeiss 35mm ZM distagon is the best of the best in this focal length. Only drawback is the size compared to the Summilux FLE, though I personally do not find the larger size an issue.

"Sure they're not crons or luxes"

In terms of both performance and handling, I would take a Biogon/Planar over a Summicron, and a Distagon over a Summilux. Only annoyances for me are coding and the size of the Distagon. Which is significant, but so many of us are also happy to consider a Noctilux 🤔

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I've got a lightly used M10, a new Zeiss ZM Planar 50 f2, and a new Voigtlander 35 f1.2 Nokton iii arriving next week to take their rightful place as my everyday carry, street photography and travel digital photo kit.  As much as I love my SL2 and R8 + lenses, IMHO they just aren't right for those roles - horses for courses.  Haven't shot with an M in 25 years (M7) and I just can't wait - never had a camera I enjoyed shooting with so much - it became like an extension of my hand.

10 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I've got a lightly used M10, a new Zeiss ZM Planar 50 f2, and a new Voigtlander 35 f1.2 Nokton iii arriving next week to take their rightful place as my everyday carry, street photography and travel digital photo kit.  As much as I love my SL2 and R8 + lenses, IMHO they just aren't right for those roles - horses for courses.  Haven't shot with an M in 25 years (M7) and I just can't wait - never had a camera I enjoyed shooting with so much - it became like an extension of my hand.

You'll enjoy the M10 - it will be like coming home to your M7. I've had an M4 since 1968, added an M6 in '85 - and shoot the M10 exactly as I do the film Ms. Well, one difference: on film I primarily use a 50mm, and on M10 it is mainly 35mm, as the image crops to a 50 FOV maintaining quality instead of carrying an extra lens. I also prefer smaller lenses, so leave my large, fast lenses in favor of a 35 Summarit 2.5 - or the tiny Nokton 35 1.4 II.

I also used to travel with both an M kit and Leicaflex kit - but seldom use the R stuff anymore. I bet you'll find the same.

On 4/1/2020 at 11:39 AM, wolan said:

Hi,

Thank you.

Yes regarding focus.

No drawback relative to Leica lenses.

Recommended over the equivalent Leicas.

• Like 2

On 4/1/2020 at 2:39 AM, wolan said:

Not sure if you already bought and which one. Let us know. If not, highly recommended. Some little cons, but overall it's almost wow. The IQ and performance of the 2.8/35 ZM Biogon it's incredible, so tiny, so light and so powerful. 

On 9/5/2020 at 1:26 PM, Dennis said:

And don't forget to let me know how this lens works 🙂 I'm curious. I'll probably get one within the next weeks, hopefully 🙏 

Will do.