Where are You on the Lens Hygiene Spectrum?

Daniel81

I take little notice of dust on the lens until it catches my eye. On the basis that dust on the front element has little impact on the image (of course eventually it does by reducing contrast and inducing flare), I avoid touching it until I have to. I rely on lens hoods to minimise the risk of touching.

A good many years ago I damaged an Apo-Summicron-M 90 by touching the front element on a rock while putting it down. It had no visible effect on images, but an expensive repair was needed before selling). I also damaged an Apo-Summicron-M 75 when it fell out of a camera bag and bounced on the cobbles outside Parma Cathedral - another expensive repair. And the hood to my V-E 24-90SL was cracked when a small grandson knocked it over on its tripod (fortunately set at its lowest level).

So I guess you can say that I don't baby my lenses! I use them, though.

On 3/31/2020 at 10:33 PM, mediumformula said:

I buy a a UV/Haze (for film lenses) or Clear (for digital lenses) B&W Nano filter for all my important lenses. 

I find it weird to buy a highly corrected Leica lens to get the best possible IQ and then put another (probably cheapo) piece of glass in front of it that certainly is not improving IQ. Maybe you work under very difficult conditions with a lot of dust and greasy steam and splinters flying around (chef de cuisine, war correspondent?) .... But under average conditions I see no advantage in doing that. If I head into a danger zone (beach holiday ?) then I would rather take a cheaper lens system (Canon ? Fuji ? Now maybe Lumix S5 with 20-60.)

Edited by caissa

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 9/5/2020 at 11:48 AM, caissa said:

I find it weird to buy a highly corrected Leica lens to get the best possible IQ and then put another (probably cheapo) piece of glass in front of it that certainly is not improving IQ. Maybe you work under very difficult conditions with a lot of dust and greasy steam and splinters flying around (chef de cuisine, war correspondent?) .... But under average conditions I see no advantage in doing that. If I head into a danger zone (beach holiday ?) then I would rather take a cheaper lens system (Canon ? Fuji ? Now maybe Lumix S5 with 20-60.)

Street photography in NYC or ethnographic work in remote situations.  I don't want to worry about the front lens element when I'm out shooting.  I highly doubt you would be able to discern any difference in the photo quality, but you probably would with your cheaper lens system. 

Edited by mediumformula

I stopped using clear/uv filters on my lenses earlier last year.  I was at an outdoor nighttime culinary event and some of the chefs were preparing food at stations with decorative edison bulbs hanging in the background.  I got a great shot of Andrew Zimmern that was ruined by flaring and ghosting of the bulb filaments due to the filter.  I was using a Breakthrough Photography X4 UV filter, so it wasn't a cheaper filter.