Long L Mount telephoto

rjsphd

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for the heads-up, Jayne.  I'll check with my supplier again tomorrow.  It seems that there's not much demand for non-Leica L-mount gear here; I had to get both Lumix teleconverters from the USA.

Air pollution, haze, and heat shimmer do seem to have an effect on this lens over even moderate distance, unlike the old R telephotos, which can "see" through anything.  Maybe it has something to do with the anti-flare coating.

I took a peek at your flickr page to get a closer look at the bird pics and ended up getting mesmerized by the photos of Charlie!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, tritentrue said:

Thanks for the heads-up, Jayne.  I'll check with my supplier again tomorrow.  It seems that there's not much demand for non-Leica L-mount gear here; I had to get both Lumix teleconverters from the USA.

Air pollution, haze, and heat shimmer do seem to have an effect on this lens over even moderate distance, unlike the old R telephotos, which can "see" through anything.  Maybe it has something to do with the anti-flare coating.

I took a peek at your flickr page to get a closer look at the bird pics and ended up getting mesmerized by the photos of Charlie!

Interesting your thoughts on the anti flare coating Rob, wonder if there is any sort of additional filter that would help with that?  Guess adding another layer wouldn't help.

I've not had much experience with the R mount telephoto's, only the 80-200 F/4 and 180 2.8 (which I regretted selling).  It's just so good to have this 100-400 in L mount now, I spent a while experimenting with various settings and tracking today, both on CL and SL, I definitely need to put some work in on that front.  I noted Jaapv's comments somewhere on here which advised electronic shutter for tracking with the CL and it does make a difference it seemed to me today.  

Charlie is a dream pup.. seen a bit more of him today but he's such a little sleepy head, and so impeccably behaved, ( 9 weeks old tomorrow and seems to have arrived house trained). Nothing different on the photo front, I'm waiting for him to get a bit more lively.  My son tell me he has been using his herding instinct on the chickens but Fred the cockerel gave him a bit of a scare, I would like to have seen that. 

• Like 2

When Sigma was promoting the lens for pre-orders here, they offered their WR Ceramic filter as a freebie. I've been using a B+W UV on mine, but next time out will try it without any filter.

Sensing that the lens was capable of a smidgen more sharpness at long distances, I tried focusing it manually yesterday and could see a tiny but noticeable difference at 200% magnification. That could be the filter, air pollution, or an inadequacy in the SL's AF system.  Inside thirty meters or so (which is where I'll shoot the lens 98% of the time), I can see no difference.  

One thing I noticed about the Panasonic 70-200mm f/4 was that I could see some sort of loss of edge acuity when any filter was mounted.  I tried it with a Nikon NC, a B&W UV Nano, and a Leica e77 UVa, all with the same result. So maybe it does have something to do with modern lens manufacturing processes.  

Like you, Jayne, I'm glad to finally have a standalone lens that goes to 400mm in L-mount.  The fact that its image quality is at least on par with the best of the other brands is a bonus.

• Like 2

I think, Jayne, that you might have the L mount Sigma 70 macro as well. When I first received mine, I was quite worried about focusing and about CA. It just took a bit to figure out how to use it best, and now it's pretty much of a low-cost champ. Hoping that when I finally get the 100-400, it turns out similarly.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, bags27 said:

I think, Jayne, that you might have the L mount Sigma 70 macro as well. When I first received mine, I was quite worried about focusing and about CA. It just took a bit to figure out how to use it best, and now it's pretty much of a low-cost champ. Hoping that when I finally get the 100-400, it turns out similarly.

Yes Ken, you are quite right about the 70.  If I can get somewhere near the quality of Rob's images with the 100-400 I'll feel I've cracked it😁!  Like everything else in (my) life.. it needs work, but I'm enjoying myself in the process as I'm sure you will if you go for it.  

• Like 2

On 7/17/2020 at 9:53 PM, Boojay said:

Charlie is a dream pup.. seen a bit more of him today but he's such a little sleepy head, and so impeccably behaved, ( 9 weeks old tomorrow and seems to have arrived house trained). Nothing different on the photo front, I'm waiting for him to get a bit more lively.  My son tell me he has been using his herding instinct on the chickens but Fred the cockerel gave him a bit of a scare, I would like to have seen that. 

Hi Jayne,

I just had a meander through your Flickr pages (wonderful pictures!) and I was struck by how happy and relaxed your animals are, which is utterly heartwarming.  A rural idyll if I've ever seen one.

Pete.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 minutes ago, farnz said:

Hi Jayne,

I just had a meander through your Flickr pages (wonderful pictures!) and I was struck by how happy and relaxed your animals are, which is utterly heartwarming.  A rural idyll if I've ever seen one.

Pete.

Thank you Pete, really nice of you.   We love our animals, and feel lucky to be where we are, especially in these times.  I had to part with my two favourites a couple of years ago due to them escaping their field, destroying Gra's garden on a regular basis and getting in the kitchen to raid the cupboards.  Two pygmy goats, Les and Nora (named after my mom and dad).  They were great photo subjects and such characters, but my husband basically said - decide, them or me.   Having had him over forty years and the goats only four or five, hard as it was they had to go😅.   

Thanks again Pete.

Jayne.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Boojay said:

They were great photo subjects and such characters, but my husband basically said - decide, them or me.   Having had him over forty years and the goats only four or five, hard as it was they had to go😅.   

He's a brave, brave man, that husband of yours. :D

Pete.

• Haha 1

With relatively clear air this morning I took a closer look for differences between with and without filter on the 100-400, as well as autofocus vs. manual focus at longer distances.  I saw none. Sometimes during the first few days with a new piece of gear I expect too much of it and examine images so closely that I (literally) cannot see the forest for the trees. 

Finding one of my kingfisher friends under canopy this morning, I inadvertently took a shot at 1/25s, a 50% crop from which is attached below.  It appears to confirm at least four stops of stabilization. Now it's time for me to stop scrutinizing and start enjoying what appears to be a most useful piece of gear as well as a spectacular value in optics.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

Help inform me of the issue of using this Sigma on a CL without having an SL for "updates"  I have not been following that problem.

I have put a Sigma 45mm on my CL without a problem, but not using AF on the 45mm.

Jack

How well a camera/lens combination handles birds in flight is not a high priority for me when considering choices because the places I prefer to shoot don't often yield that opportunity.  Today was an exception, though, when a pair of White-Bellied Sea Eagles, long-time residents of the one remaining patch of wood in the area, put on a distant but lengthy aerobatics show.

Using AFc and "Field" area with half-press, no back-button use,  the SL and Sigma lens acquired critically accurate focus in every instance where the green focus confirmation was present, even when the bird was only a tiny spot inside the "field."  The only shots I missed were due to my (lacking) technique.  I honestly can't understand why the SL and Leica so often get slammed for "poor" autofocus, when the SL is actually a very responsive and accurate camera.

Cropped at 100%, the 1.4X would have come in handy today . . .  🙃

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, tritentrue said:

Cropped at 100%, the 1.4X would have come in handy today . . .  🙃

I think you'll definitely be pleased with the extender Rob (or maybe a CL😄).

Couple from yesterday, spotted a young blackbird hop into the tree where our bird feeders hang.  Two shots, one with the extender, one without.  The one with the extender kind of knocked my socks off simply because I do not have steady hands but managed 1/20th a f/11.  Not sure I see much loss of IQ comparing to the shot without extender.  Posted from the flickr links because you can see them larger there. 

First with extender

and this was without

Not the prettiest of birds but you can certainly see how well the lens captures with feather details etc.

• Like 5

Gorgeous shots, Jayne! Feather details on both shots are spectacular. Calculating from the AOV, that's roughly five and a half stops of stabilzation.  And what an adorable bird!  Juveniles can be fun to shoot because some of them seem as curious about me as I am about them.

Two stores have informed that they expect the teleconverters this week, but your shots are causing me to seriously consider the 1.5X option (CL).

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, tritentrue said:

Gorgeous shots, Jayne! Feather details on both shots are spectacular. Calculating from the AOV, that's roughly five and a half stops of stabilzation.  And what an adorable bird!  Juveniles can be fun to shoot because some of them seem as curious about me as I am about them.

Two stores have informed that they expect the teleconverters this week, but your shots are causing me to seriously consider the 1.5X option (CL).

Thank you, yes do consider Rob, I think you deserve both😄.

Edited by Boojay
  • Like 1

Is the secret of getting birds close having birdfeeders up all year, can't do that, we have black bears who love bird food. I have been using a 400 f5.6 Telyt, it has a Leicavit mount so it is relatively fast focusing. Use a table top tripod or steadying as a chest mount, but you really need 3 hands, one to hold, one to focus, one for the shutter. The lens is really good and has a built in UV filter. I am mostly shooting within 50 ft, 16m for birds. Anyway here is a cute theif.

• Like 2

vor 48 Minuten schrieb Boojay:

Ok, now I want some bear photo's - fill up the feeders please😄.

We have had 3 feeders destroyed by bears, during the "safe time" November - March, they come at night. But we were hiking nearby and one came up an embankment on to the trail we were on we saw each other about the same time, we froze, it was back in the woods before I could get the camera. Could have gotten a rear end picture with it in the woods.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2020 at 1:13 AM, LeicaS2 said:

Help inform me of the issue of using this Sigma on a CL without having an SL for "updates"  I have not been following that problem.

I have put a Sigma 45mm on my CL without a problem, but not using AF on the 45mm.

Jack

If you need updates, get the Sigma L-mount dock. I ordered one also, but Sigma has not started producing it yet. 

• Like 1

SL + Sigma 100-400mm + TC-1411 . . . no apparent loss of IQ with the teleconverter, not even when pixel-peeping . . . 

Oriental Magpie Robin, juvenile female  . . . 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, tritentrue said:

SL + Sigma 100-400mm + TC-1411 . . . no apparent loss of IQ with the teleconverter, not even when pixel-peeping . . . 

Oriental Magpie Robin, juvenile female  . . . 

Aw, that's a lovely one Rob.

• Thanks 1