$49.95 per year Leica FOTOS!!!!!!!!!!

Archer911

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just sat down to make a video with the SL2, needing to control the camera with my iPhone and the FOTOS app.

I've controlled the camera before with the app but only for still images.

As soon as you slide the setting to video, a window pops up telling you it's going to cost you $49.95 per year for the privilege. WTF!

Seriously Leica, we all spend way more than we need to on your hardware and now you are going to squeeze a year fee out of us for using your app? You won't get that fee from me but instead you've bought yourself some very bad will from at least one good customer and former ambassador.

• Like 3

This fotos story is mind blowing, beyond anything understandable. Not only the app is really poor, not to say useless, but the idea behind renting it for a fee is somehow felt as a cheap rip-off attempt.

Nevertheless, I thought this self declared "pro" version was only the one installed on iPad pros ? So you've been asked to pay while using on an iPhone ?

Can't test : I had to trash the app. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, snooper said:

This fotos story is mind blowing, beyond anything understandable. Not only the app is really poor, not to say useless, but the idea behind renting it for a fee is somehow felt as a cheap rip-off attempt.

Nevertheless, I thought this self declared "pro" version was only the one installed on iPad pros ? So you've been asked to pay while using on an iPhone ?

Can't test : I had to trash the app. 

Yeah, on my iPhone. Hopefully someone else will produce a great app that I will be happy to pay a flat fee for. 

It mystifies me that some individuals at Leica sat down and thought this was a good idea. It is such an idiotic move from a company that is known for excellence. I suppose arrogance might come into play here—that might explain some of it.

Edited by Archer911
spelling
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Einst_Stein said:

It is a crappy tool anyway. Even the still camera control is unreliable. 90% of the connection failed. And the 10% lead cry connection quickly lost signals.

Maybe Leica can borrow someone from Apple or Panasonic to build a new one...or someone from the local grade school, then talk to some of the business students and ask them if they should charge customers for it?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes a sad reality, $50 a year for a buggy software

I would suggest to get card reader for your mobile device and take out the SD card.

I would also suggest feedback the app in the apple store, speak out, maybe they will make it better.

I can transfer images on my FOTO app since I was using it since v.1  
Considering that every other manufacture give you a way to control you camera for free.

On the SL2 I get errors all the time since the FOTOS app 2.0 does not support 2 SD cards.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Exodies said:

I think at least some of the licence fee is for third party API licences (Adobe, for one). 

Maybe (but for video control?). It could be argued that Adobe should pay Leica a fee to be included in the app because users who don't already have the Adobe IV in their arm might sign up.

9 minutes ago, Exodies said:

I think at least some of the licence fee is for third party API licences (Adobe, for one). 

I have to disagree. If you dont have your own Adobe licence for Adobe CC, Fotos wont help you to access LR CC. Meaning with or without Fotos, you need an Adobe licence. So this Leica story saying "Fotos is giving you access to LR CC on iPad" is misleading, inaccurate, and could even get nasty in Court if ever someone decided to show them where you go when you try to get that extra 50 bucks from your clients.. 

• Like 1

Even, if such an app was entirely for free, one would  - and surely could - expect it to function smoothly as an integral part of the package. I am not a fan of putting functions into external devices that only have a contingent relation with the camera and it´s manufacturer. 

I second that extra costs are not welcome. Maintenance costs are one thing. Additional use costs on top of the initial price tag is another. 

• Like 2

I am not particularly worried about the $50/ year proposed fee.  However, the fact that Fotos software has been and still is terrible does make the fee seem, to say the least, arrogant.  If this had some really cool feature or extended the use of the camera beyond what competitors’ free connectivity apps provided I could see it.  But Leica has such a poor track record with their software in terms of stability, features, and usability that the cost becomes laughable.  

How about getting Fotos to just connect reliably to my camera?  How about making that connection simple and intuitive to setup?  How about getting straightforward geotagging working over Bluetooth?  That’s been a promised feature ever since the Q2 was released more than a year ago now.  I’d be happy to pay for something useful, reliable, and timely.  So far, Fotos has been none of those. I’d like to see Leica invest in their software before they ask ME to invest in their software.

• Like 2

I simply object to paying again (or in the case of Leica's RENTAL FEE of $49.95 per year) after I have already bought the camera. It's a question of principal for me in the end. I had been using Adobe applications on Macs for decades and spent thousands buying video editing, animation, font pacs, clip art packs, and photo manipulation software. I also spent thousands on software upgrades, sometimes made necessary when Apple updated its OS. When Adobe went to their monthly/fee model I stopped using Adobe. I found other "buy and own" applications that took their place and have been fine.

If Leica is successful at charging us for using an app that accesses standard features on their hardware, whether it be good software or not, and they get away with it, we're all in for a good goosing at their pleasure. I expect there are other manufacturers watching to see if Leica is successful with this tactic.

What's next Leica, a fee for every time we push the "MENU" button on our cameras?

• Thanks 1

Adobe is a bit different in my book - the subscription works out cheaper than the upgrade path. But postprocessing software is something one can choose, like you (and I) did. Fotos is a specific part of a system we already bought into.

• Like 1