Noctilux F1 + Breakthrough X4 ND + Hood

a5m

• 3 weeks later...

Answering my own post since I decided to try out the filter and see how it fits. The hood will not seat far down enough to catch the bayonet, twist and lock in place. There's a lip, or ridge, along the entire inner circumference of the hood that normally comes in contact with the front rim of the lens; I guess it keeps the hood level and seated firmly in place, preventing any tilting or movement.

Anyway, contacted Breakthrough to see what they say. Perhaps they can modify it and reduce the frame thickness, decreasing the overall diameter and allowing the hood to slide over as if it's not there.

39 minutes ago, LeicaR10 said:

A5m,   You might take a look at Thorsten Overgaard's website for ideas on using filters on earlier versions of the f/1.0 Noctilux.  Try:  https://www.overgaard.dk/thorsten-overgaard-photography-lounge.html  r/ Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the link. I looked around but didn't find anything useful. His site is a bit difficult to navigate, so may take a look tomorrow.

It seems the only solutions are to use another filter, don't use the hood, or get any of the other versions because looking at the pictures it seems their hoods won't be a problem. Best bet would be the 4th version with the square built-in hood.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2020 at 12:11 AM, LeicaR10 said:

A5m,  I sent you a message rather than write here with some helpful ideas.  r/ Mark

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas Mark. Glad we got a chance to get to know each other as well.

A final update regarding the filter. I spoke with Graham at Breakthrough who was willing to swap the glass to a X2 filter frame which is supposedly smaller in overall diameter. But after pixel peeping some test shots and seeing a slight loss of sharpness I decided against using ND filters altogether. It's not how the lens was intended to be used and compromising its already not so stellar wide open performance was a no-go for me.

If anyone finds themselves in a similar situation I suggest contacting Graham directly. They were very accommodating.

Ayas

44 minutes ago, Gobert said:

But you might encounter circumstances you need to use the ND filter? Are you using it then or not... and no photo.

You want pictures? I'll give you pictures.

Haha just kidding. Meant to post them. Thanks for reminding :)

Haven't needed one so far. More of a GAS purchase. As long as I'm mindful of the light I think I'll be okay. So no, not using any filters.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1