Monochrom B&W Post Processing Tools

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone,

I have spent more time working on color images in Photoshop, and on occasion also leverage an add-on, Topaz Studio for processing.  With a new M10M, I have learning to do on processing these image files.  I'm applying simple curves, setting black and white point, and am familiar with local dodging and burning.  Beyond that however, what kinds of tools, or workflows have you had success with to refine your b&w images?

Best,

John

John, a lot of people (myself included) use Silver Efex Pro 2.  It can be configured as a plug-in for both Photoshop and Lightroom, or as a stand alone program.

I have found the M10M files often require more than what I can do with Lightroom, which generally is sufficient for most files including from the M9M.

I think they have a free trial:

https://nikcollection.dxo.com/silver-efex-pro/

• Like 2

Keith - Enjoyed seeing your work, really nice.

Thanks all, I might try Silver Efex trial.  

As I already have Topaz Studio, I foind a few b&w filters that I liked.  Topaz Studio did not launch on a monochrome image from PS, but after converting image mode to RGB it worked (which i assume replicates the luminosity data across the three color channels.

thank you,

John

• Thanks 1

Sometimes I might use one or two Topaz filters however only after proper tonal adjustments are made in Photoshop. I dont rely on Silver Effex all the time either but for some Monochrom images it works well. I mainly use photoshop layers and curves adjustments to selectively bring out a range of image contrasts. Silver effex selective adjustments no matter how localised they are, can "reach over" into other parts of the image one doesn't wish to disturb.

Using 160 ISO for exposures in contrasty lighting can result with heavy shadow/blacks through the image. But we all know how to trust in our shadow details to perform with tis camera. That being said there are ways to reduce a heavily shadow laden images especially when "negative" exposure compensation values are used.       

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/29/2020 at 10:34 PM, Likaleica said:

John, a lot of people (myself included) use Silver Efex Pro 2.  It can be configured as a plug-in for both Photoshop and Lightroom, or as a stand alone program.

I have found the M10M files often require more than what I can do with Lightroom, which generally is sufficient for most files including from the M9M.

I am not sure about this but I do not believe that Silver Efex Pro2 can work with Raw files, only JPEGS and TIFFS. This was the case with the earlier versions, but maybe the new one is different, I haven't tried it so I don't know.

6 hours ago, petermullett said:

I am not sure about this but I do not believe that Silver Efex Pro2 can work with Raw files, only JPEGS and TIFFS. This was the case with the earlier versions, but maybe the new one is different, I haven't tried it so I don't know.

When you invoke Silver Efex Pro 2 (SEP2) from LR, the RAW file is automatically converted to TIFF and returned in TIFF format. This means that all appropriate modifications (e.g., highlights, shadows) should be done before invoking SEP2.

That is only an issue if you want to use SEP2 standalone. When I need to work on a file in Photoshop, I also need to convert the file to TIFF format .

• Thanks 1

I use SEP2 and still can’t comprehend how computationally it accomplishes some of the incredible transformations it makes. Does anyone have a link to any explanations? I know how to use it. I want to know why it can do what it does. Maybe we can swing this thread into such a discussion?

My decision to get a M10M depended on it still working SEP2 wonders on a file that is already mono. When it could make a sky look like I had a red filter on a mono image but without the red filter, I was convinced. Perhaps my images are too manipulated, but so was the effect of a red filter pretty artificial. Whereas HDR in color work is too often overdone, B&W can get away with it in my opinion.

20 hours ago, petermullett said:

From Lightroom you have the choice of TIFF, PSD or JPEG as well as choice of color space, dpi and bit depth.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

19 hours ago, SrMi said:

When you invoke Silver Efex Pro 2 (SEP2) from LR, the RAW file is automatically converted to TIFF and returned in TIFF format. This means that all appropriate modifications (e.g., highlights, shadows) should be done before invoking SEP2.

That is only an issue if you want to use SEP2 standalone. When I need to work on a file in Photoshop, I also need to convert the file to TIFF format .

6 hours ago, Likaleica said:

From Lightroom you have the choice of TIFF, PSD or JPEG as well as choice of color space, dpi and bit depth.

Thanks for the useful clues!  Maybe I should put this period of self isolation to some good use and delve into these and other software tricks that hitherto I have had little patience to fathom out. Either that or paint the house.

52 minutes ago, Franka373 said:

Really a neophyte.  Does color space matter?   

Doubt it.  It's just a standard algorithm for moving a file to a plug-in to determine how to manage it.  Nik software has several color plug-ins as well.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2020 at 3:34 PM, Likaleica said:

Another part of the Nik collection that works very well for processing Monochrom files is Viveza. It was obviously designed for color work but does an excellent job with contrast and tonal range adjustments.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2020 at 12:10 AM, fotografr said:

Another part of the Nik collection that works very well for processing Monochrom files is Viveza. It was obviously designed for color work but does an excellent job with contrast and tonal range adjustments.

Will give a try. Thanks.

I also find the Analogue Efex works better than Silver Efex for both colour and monochrome files when I wish to simulate film effects, especially a TriX look.

• Thanks 1

I also use the following tools in Lightroom a lot with Monochrom RAW files:

1. brush - adding contrast, h.s,w,b or other adjustments to specific spots
2. radial tool, to add or reduce exposure or contrast
3. gradient filter - same as radial

These can concentrate adjustments to specific areas, albeit three different ways.  

I prefer the non-destructive wherever possible and prefer not to duplicate files if not necessary.

Also, On1 Photo Raw has some good luminosity masks, but if you use in conjunction with LR, same as silver effects pro with extra files...

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, japo said:

Since it is owned by google, SEP is free to download and use! only "problem" i find: for the smallest corrections on top of those made in LR, you'r blowing up the file easely to 450mb.

DxO acquired Nik Collection from Google in 2017, so newer versions are not free anymore.

Edited by natthayu
  • Like 1