Leica 28mm Lens--Advice needed

TJL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am considering the purchase of a 28mm Leica lens for my M10-P.  I have researched the Summilux f/1.4 ASPH, Summicron f/2.0 and Elmarit f/2.8, and noted the pros and cons of each.  Price aside, I would like to know from users what are the practical considerations.  For example, is the Summilux too heavy, too large?  Does it block too much of the viewfinder?  (I don't have an EVF.)  Do the Summicron and Elmarit produce acceptable bokeh?  Do the high ISO settings of the M10-P offset the advantage of a faster lens in low-light conditions?  If you've used more than one of these lenses, how would you compare them?

Thanks for your help, Tim

After 30 years with the Elmarit 2.8/28 V3 I got the Elmarit 2.8/28 ASPH early 2019 and I made approx. 2.000 photos with this lens and the M10-D meanwhile. For street, narrow spaces it is for me the perfect lens with an extreme sharpness and resolution. For such applications I do not miss the f2 or f1.4 of the Crons and Luxes, a lot can be achieved with post processing. Furthermore, the Elmarit is small and light and the the price is really low, considering the performance.  About Bokeh, that is a thing I don't care about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey there, do you know this article:

Quick Comparison: Two Generations of Leica 28mm Lenses - Summilux, Summicron, and Elmarit

It should answer almost all your questions. Personally I purchased a used 28mm Summicron latest edition in a very good condition at the end of last year and I think it’s kind of a perfect compromise in this focal range. It is not as big and heavy as the Lux and it is a little faster than the Elmarit without being too big and heavy. And at f2.0 there is some nice Bokeh if you are really close to your subject.

I would only consider the Lux if I would be almost exclusively shooting indoors or at night, or if 28mm portraits would be my “specialty”.

Compared to the Lux I would rather take the Elmarit if I wouldn’t own the Summicron already. At f2.8 it’s neither super fast nor it’s a slouch. It is very sharp and small and lightweight, an almost perfect travel lens.

• Like 2

I had Elmarit 2.8/28 V3, and now I have Summilux 1,4/28. It' s stunning, how good photos taken with Elmarit are, but if you are really for Bokeh, than Summilux is the choice. And only than, otherwise small Elmarit makes wonders! It is light, easy to use in street photography, and say again, photos are excellent in every respect. 

Re. Bokeh of the Elmarit-M IV, I've posted a picture in another thread: 

I've also posted some comparisons of viewfinder blockage between the Elmarit-M IV and ASPH in the dedicated thread: 

I like the Elmarit-M IV a lot and kept it over the ASPH. A Summicron-M is still on the horizon though for the extra stop. Summilux is out of the question for me, price and bulk wise.

Welcome here Tim,

If you are not yet Leica M user, you would find over time that there is NO answer for your quest.

Talking about bokeh for 28mm lens is not relevant for me.

If there is only ONE good for all 28mm lens, why Leica are offering four 28mm lenses at same time.

I don't have the 28mm Summilux-M in this focal length, so no comment for this lens.

The first and I still keep it is the 28 Summicron-M which has less and less use with modern Ms that I use now.

It's not too big for it's specifications and as good as can be a lens for 2/28mm usable since f/2.

My most use for it's overall quality and compactness/lightness is the Elmarit-M asph. 2.8/28.

For it's character, I also use the Summaron-M 5.6/28, and this one doesn't protrude in OVF and again as good as can be a 28mm character lens.

I have some more 28mm in other brands that I can use on my Ms, but Leica lenses are "best choices".

I'm not near to be able to choose only one 28mm lens.

Arnaud

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My vote is for the 28mm Elmarit ASPH. It usually lives on my film M, but it has become my go-to travel lens for M10 especially for weight and size. I think difference in bokeh is negligible between Elmarit and Cron, and I’ve not run into any devastating issues using the Elmarit at ISO 6400 in low light where a Cron would save me (maybe the Lux would). Honestly the Lux always has my interest, but the price and trade-offs in practicality/size/weight/viewfinder blockage are too much for me to overcome. The weight of the Lux is near that of my 50 Lux black chrome, which I tolerate because, well, it’s gorgeous and awesome.

Be forewarned that even the Elmarit with hood has annoying (IMHO) viewfinder blockage.

I had the Elmarit Asph.1st version - lovely tiny lens which I enjoyed but eventually found gave me a touch too much crispness and contrast, and in my big hands was almost too small. So I changed it to the pre-Asph V4 which I really love - perfect size (good on the SL too), and lovely rendering. It seems never to flare, so a hood is not needed, which means intrusion into the VF is minimal. If I were after bokeh effects I wouldn't use a 28 (unless I could afford the Summilux.)  

Edited by Musotographer
  • Like 1

I have the first version 28mm f2 summicron asph, the 28mm summaron-m f5.6 asph and the CV 28mm color-skopar f3.5 

The summaron has hardly been off my MP since I got it, but the summicron and color-skopar are going nowhere.  They all great keeper lenses, I like the summaron for it's construction and character, the summicron for it's speed and character and the CV for it's brass construction, tiny size, ergonomics and surprising sharpness and contrast.  

Unless you need f1.4 in a 28mm lens, and few people genuinely do need it ('want' is a different thing entirely), either version of the summicrons will tick most boxes without compromise.

I had the 28/2.8 Elmarit asph v1 for several years but, like Musotographer, I found it too contrasty and replaced it with a 28/2 Summicron asph v1, which has excellent micro-contrast and transitions from black to white very gently.  The latter is what I preferred over the Elmarit but I suspect that my tastes changed over the years that I had the Elmarit.  

I never used the Summicron's over-size hood but always found the Summicron to be wonderfully flare-resistant, particularly to veiling glare, so I didn't need it anyway.

Pete.

I moved from the Elmarit asph to the current Summicron about a year ago. In my view they are both fantastic lenses. You need to know exactly why f/1.4 or f/2.0 is helping you, otherwise the price and compact size of the Elmarit is, in my opinion, perfect. I use mine at least as often on the SL where size is less relevant and that was my feeble argument for the change. 

I have had all three at some stage, they are all great. The Lux is not too heavy nor cumbersome if you use it without the hood (which I do). It is a lot heavier than the other two of course.

The Elmarit is great, tiny and sharp and (relatively) inexpensive, at least by Leica standards. It is very contrasty, so you need to like that look. I eventually got rid of it as found it a little cumbersome for my largish hands 

I personally think that there is very little not to like in the summicron, which is only slightly bigger than the elmarit but one stop faster, has decent bokeh and is ergonomically perfect (at least for me)

• Like 1

On 3/28/2020 at 12:42 PM, MaticB said:

I had Elmarit 2.8/28 V3, and now I have Summilux 1,4/28. It' s stunning, how good photos taken with Elmarit are, but if you are really for Bokeh, than Summilux is the choice. And only than, otherwise small Elmarit makes wonders! It is light, easy to use in street photography, and say again, photos are excellent in every respect. 

Thank you for your comments.  Many rave about the excellent qualities of the Elmarit, and I may pull the trigger on that one.

Tough to answer. Heavily depends on what you are going to photograph with that lens. I can strongly recommend the Lux 28 for environmental portraits! But if you are only interested in architecture, I would not spend that much money on a lens. What subjects to capture are you interested in?

1 minute ago, BJohn said:

Tough to answer. Heavily depends on what you are going to photograph with that lens. I can strongly recommend the Lux 28 for environmental portraits! But if you are only interested in architecture, I would not spend that much money on a lens. What subjects to capture are you interested in?

My interests are in travel, landscape and family photography.  

For all of that I use the Lux 28, for environmental portraits you can find some examples in the "Lux 28 Wide-Open" Thread. To be honest I guess you will be most satisfied with the Cron 28. You can still get a good subject separation for family portraits and it absolutely rocks for travel and landscape. The Elmarit 28 may be a solid choice if you are only interested in landscape / travel / architecture but I would not use it for portraits in my humble opinion. I know that a good portrait is not only derived from subject separation but it is one important ingredient at least to a certain degree. Hence my choice would be the Cron 28.

*EDIT*

The Lux 28 Wide-Open Thread:

Edited by BJohn

A while ago I was particularly interested in the bokeh difference of the Lux 28 and Cron 28, so as a complete guidance:

Additionally, if that's important for you, you can find more information regarding bokeh / subject separation / general comparison of those two lenses here:

https://www.streetsilhouettes.com/home/2017/3/12/quick-comparison-two-generations-of-leica-28mm-lenses