35mm Hewes Reels for Paterson Universal Tank

gabrielaszalos

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just received my order of 35mm stainless steel Hewes reels for my universal Paterson tank. I was a bit concerned about the unreliability of the Paterson reels so I wanted to try these famous ones out. They seem great. I think I like them. They are fairly easy to load, and if something goes wrong, I can at least blame it on my dexterity, as opposed to the Paterson ones were they just decide whether to jam or not based on the day of the calendar. But this is not what the post is about.

When I practice with a spare film I have, it seem that the film rolls onto the reel but not entirely. I think that if I had a film that was longer by 10-20cm it would be hanging out. This doesn't happen in the Paterson reel. I'm a bit concerned about using these reels because of this reason - the film that is hanging out at the end, could be touching the film on the bottom and blocking development...

Does anyone have experience with these 35mm Hewes reels for Paterson tanks and can maybe share some advice or tips? I'm hesitant to use them because of this...

I have never used the Hewes reels but if it’s not an error and you are really talking about 10-20cm I wouldn’t use them. 

There is another great option for Paterson from AP. The AP Self-Feed  Spiral reel. The reels are interchangeable and fit perfectly into Paterson. See the enclosed picture. Easy to load the film. I use only them

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Tmx

• 2 years later...

Hi Gabriel,

Are the Hewes reels the same height as the plastic ones?  Like, do three of these reels fit in a three reel Paterson tank?

The Hewes reels I have for steel tanks are smaller, and you could probably fit four in a three reel Paterson tank.  Curious if these are the same.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, downtowndan said:

Hi Gabriel,

Are the Hewes reels the same height as the plastic ones?  Like, do three of these reels fit in a three reel Paterson tank?

The Hewes reels I have for steel tanks are smaller, and you could probably fit four in a three reel Paterson tank.  Curious if these are the same.

Hi! Yes! They are smaller. About as narrow (or even slightly less) as the width of a 35mm film. They will fit without issues. 

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/3/2022 at 2:42 PM, downtowndan said:

Hi Gabriel,

Hello.  I have both sizes of Hewes reels .. i) a smaller set for Steel Tanks (these don't have a large hole in the middle of them for the paterson spindle to fit through) and ii) A set that Hewes design for the Paterson Tanks (they have a hole in the middle so that they fit on the spindle like Paterson reels).  

Paterson tanks are only light-tight with the spindle in them, so the smaller paterson reels won't work, since you would need to leave the spindle out of the tank to fit them in. 

I found this out when I received my paterson tank and my Hewes reels (for steel tanks) wouldn't fit  .  I emailed Hewes and they arranged to send me the larger ones  they make for Paterson

Edited by grahamc