Old lens case

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all

I would like to know if this is a Leica lens case. Seems to be intended for a 3,5 cm lens. Interior is red also. I can not see any inscription, so I beg for your wisdom in this matter.

Thanks,

Alejandro.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Indeed it looks like a good fit for lenses like elmar 3,5 cm or Summaron 35 3,5 A36 :(and same for 28s - Hektor and Summaron) : but color and look don't seem to me in "Leitz Style" (as far as I remember, Leica introduced the usage of zip-closing only with the last lenses' cases - currently used, btw) : so probably a good 3rd party accessory 

I agree with Luigi Bertolotti : no chance this case being "Leitz-Leica". I went to my archives to look for similar "Leitz" case, but only discovered classical ones : bakelite BRSOO, aluminium (tropical), polystyrol. And, among the classical leather ones, the relatively rare "twin" ETISY for Elmar 35 and Elmar or Hektor 135.

• Like 1

Thank you Luigi and Pecole. Frame-it: I can not see any mark on the zip. I found this item on the local bidding platform. Here you have the other picture that can be seen. There is a text in the interior, but not really readable. The item is announced as "old lens case Leica (7173)".

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here are the few cases I was able to collect o ver the years. Not so many, but very representative of the different styles, from the Hegrakup one to the Leitz New York leather case.

17 minutes ago, AndreasG said:

There seems to be some wording on the brass zipper, can you read it?

No, Andreas. I can read anything. There was just two pictures on the publication: https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-772316808-antiguo-estuche-lente-optica-fotografia-5x9-leica-7173-_JM

There were also some in soft leather : this one (ETTOX) is for the HEGRA like the red one you do show)

And probably the item for sale is listed as "leica" because, maybe, its manufacturer made it specifically for Leica lenses and described them in their adveritsing using the name "Leica" (at those times, questions of "brand name usage" were not so strict as now... 😉) so the current seller is not AT ALL to blame... (but.. is it really 690 US$ the asked price ? if so, I think it's absolutely indecent... 😒, even a rare original like Pecole's last , imho, has such an evaluation.. the people who sold me the Hektor 73 above depicted just "rounded up" the price because "with original soft case")

Edited by luigi bertolotti

vor 8 Stunden schrieb alemartinezc:

No, Andreas. I can read anything. There was just two pictures on the publication: https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-772316808-antiguo-estuche-lente-optica-fotografia-5x9-leica-7173-_JM

Anyhow, though my experience in Leica cases is limited, I feel, it is not a Leica design, not by color, not by craftsmanship, for me, it looks like a case for jewellery or cosmetics, but not for lenses.

3 hours ago, AndreasG said:

Anyhow, though my experience in Leica cases is limited, I feel, it is not a Leica design, not by color, not by craftsmanship, for me, it looks like a case for jewellery or cosmetics, but not for lenses.

2 hours ago, TomB_tx said:

An old case actually use to hold a lens would have circular “contact” marks on the inside lining. Looks like this one never held a lens.

I couldn’t agree  with you more.

Luigi: The price asked  is not U$S 690, but 690 Pesos (around U$S 8). As nobody can asure us that is anything Leica related , I will pass on this one.

Is not Argentina famous for its beef, and leather goods? This is probably a well-made leather case by an Argentine craftsman, for a lens or similarly shaped object. For that price I would buy it.

I use Leica lens pouches and cases (like the original film CL case, in soft leather, a beauty) to hold my small Leica accessories (lens shades, caps, filters, Leicameter, etc.) in a camera bag, when traveling and wandering around taking pictures. They keep small items together, protected, and it's "appropriate" to use a Leica case for Leica items.

8 hours ago, frame-it said:

could be for filters..but did really old cases have Leica or Leitz markings ?

Most, but not all of them : some hard leather cases for lenses, like the one depicted by Pecole in his last picture (I have some of the same style) have not any Leitz/Leica marking... but not a general rule... for instance , the typical leather case for goggled 35s (and DR Summicron) has "Leitz" embossed on the top (at least, my one has). The  several kinds of leather cases for cameras I think all have Leica embossed (but wait to be corrected...😉) , so as the superfine big leather cases for camera + equipment (I remember to have seen some with two writings...)  tiny leather cases (viewfinders, selftimers...) have no mark.

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Thanks 1