Knives52

Can a Leica SF24D flash be used/tested on a DSLR, without frying the camera’s electronics?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I picked up a Leica SF24D flash recently to use with my M6TTL. I was thinking about testing it with my Canon EOS R dslr and using its screen to get familiar with the flash without wasting film (I don’t mind if it will only work using Manual mode on the flash). 

I think I remember hearing years ago something about TTL flashes not pairing well with some newer “more-electronic” cameras’ hot shoes and possibly frying the camera’s electronics — though my memory’s extremely foggy on that. 

Does anyone have any experience using the SF24D on a dslr of any make/model and/or on any digital Leica body? 

Would covering the flash’s 3 “TTL connector pins” on its hot shoe with electrical tape (while leaving the main center pin uncovered) be necessary or safer?

Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question.

The SF24D is not a high-voltage flash. I think the last one of those was made about fifty years ago. I fail to see what you wish to accomplish. About the only function you can test on a non-Leica body is the on-off switch.

23 minutes ago, jaapv said:

The SF24D is not a high-voltage flash. I think the last one of those was made about fifty years ago. I fail to see what you wish to accomplish. About the only function you can test on a non-Leica body is the on-off switch.

Hey thanks, I might’ve missed that bit of info while doing my initial dig - Do Leica flashes only work with Leica bodies, even when the flash is in Manual mode? Does the center pin not fire the flash like most other hotshoe flashes? Would covering up the 3 TTL connector pins with electrical tape not effectively turn it into a generic hotshoe flash that would work with a non-Leica body?

I understand that at least TTL and Auto mode won’t work on a non-Leica body, but I was hoping to use the flash in Manual solely to familiarize myself with it using different focal lengths and test its effectiveness shooting subjects at varying distances and also test the flash’s modifiers (like the wide angle adapter) to fully understand the unit so I can shoot it on my M6TTL confidently right from the get go.

I shoot mostly color neg film and process through a lab and I’d rather not spend lab fees for what will just amount to a bunch of ugly test shots only meant to familiarize myself with exposure and distance using the flash.

Ideally, I’d just use a digital Leica body and look at its screen, but I don’t own one and don’t want to spend on a rental just for this.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By PLH
      Has anybody had intermittent TTL flash issues with the R8?
       I get random firing of the SF-58, particularly with movement of the camera, and sometimes no flash on shutter release. Inside, low light, and with program mode the viewfinder shows f/5.6 @ 1/250 as it should.  Contacts are clean, wiggling the flash at the foot doesn't make it fire.  Camera, flash or the coupling of the two?
      The phenomena does not seem to occur with a SF-24D, though i have no negatives to review yet.  
      R8 serial # 243xxxx.  I've had no other problems with this camera.

• By Edwin Ho
      I am considering Leica SF24D as a replacement for the Olympus S20 (small auto flash).
      Took some shots of family Christmas gathering with the S20; a little under-exposed (subsequently adjusted in LR by increasing exposure).
      I hope to hear from those who had experience using the SF24D with an M9.
    • By Sasha
      I'm a hobby shooter and have gone through Nikon, Canon, and Sony gear, and then got into Leica M a couple of years ago.  Love my M10P and M3 and am building up a nice collection of M lenses.  I have been shooting with just natural light but would now like to experiment more with portraits and controlled lighting and external flashes.  I've been looking at the getting a couple of Godox AD200 Pros and would like to control them with a flash trigger from my M10P.  I can't find anything official about Godox/Leica compatibility on the internet, although some say that a Godox X1T or X2T Nikon version will work with Leica M and I've also read somewhere that the Olympus version is the one to go for.  Does anyone have any first hand experience or advice on this?   
    • By herr_kavka
      Hallo,
      nach etlichen Jahren Nikon und Sony wurde es Zeit für meine erste Leica. Seit kurzem habe ich eine schöne M240-P und nach und nach taste ich mich an die Besonderheit dieser Kamera heran.
      Hierzu habe ich zwei Fragen an die erfahrenere Community:
      1.) Kann ich einen Nikon-Blitz auf die M setzen um ihn manuell zu nutzen oder besteht hier die Gefahr eines Kurzschlusses über die Blitzschuhkontakte/Software?
      2.) Kennt jemand einen Hersteller für Adapter, damit man ein Sony-E-Mount-Objektiv auf die M bekommt?
      Ich bin mir durchaus bewusst, dass meine Fragen gewisse "Warum-zur-Hölle-sollte-man-so-etwas-tun"-Reaktionen hervorrufen könnten... 😁  Und möchte vorweg schonmal darauf antworten: Weil ich Spaß daran habe. Am bunten Mix, am Endergebnis, an Effekten, die vorhandenes Material kurzfristig erzeugen kann 😉
      Vielen Dank für euer Feedback,
      Beste Grüße
      Oliver
    • By franzschuier
      Hello,
      new to the forum, new to leica! I own my black m-a for a month now and I absolutely love it. Just finished my 10th roll.
      Looking forward to taking part in the forum, but I am starting with a problem sorry.
      There is one little thing I can´t get to work (Spent at least 15 Exposures on it: I own a Flash Q Q20 from my digital days and i cant get it to work with the M-A.
      The strange thing: The flash fires when the film is not cocked and the shutter doesn't fire. When I cock the film
      and take an exposure the flash just wont fire.

1. Went to the leica shop and tried it with several new leica flashes. It fires when cocked and when not.
      2. Checked some youtube videos - There are people successfully using the Q20 with their M6 or M-P, they even recommend it.
      3 Checked the Q20 settings in falsh mode it should just work.
      4. Tried it with the flash sync 1/50 setting and faster times
      And now the strangest thing - Occasionally, like every 3rd time I try it, it works.
      Am I studip or is the fals just not working with the m-a and I have to get an old leica flash?
      Any recommedation?