Knives52

Can a Leica SF24D flash be used/tested on a DSLR, without frying the camera’s electronics?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I picked up a Leica SF24D flash recently to use with my M6TTL. I was thinking about testing it with my Canon EOS R dslr and using its screen to get familiar with the flash without wasting film (I don’t mind if it will only work using Manual mode on the flash). 

I think I remember hearing years ago something about TTL flashes not pairing well with some newer “more-electronic” cameras’ hot shoes and possibly frying the camera’s electronics — though my memory’s extremely foggy on that. 

Does anyone have any experience using the SF24D on a dslr of any make/model and/or on any digital Leica body? 

Would covering the flash’s 3 “TTL connector pins” on its hot shoe with electrical tape (while leaving the main center pin uncovered) be necessary or safer?

Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question.

The SF24D is not a high-voltage flash. I think the last one of those was made about fifty years ago. I fail to see what you wish to accomplish. About the only function you can test on a non-Leica body is the on-off switch.

23 minutes ago, jaapv said:

The SF24D is not a high-voltage flash. I think the last one of those was made about fifty years ago. I fail to see what you wish to accomplish. About the only function you can test on a non-Leica body is the on-off switch.

Hey thanks, I might’ve missed that bit of info while doing my initial dig - Do Leica flashes only work with Leica bodies, even when the flash is in Manual mode? Does the center pin not fire the flash like most other hotshoe flashes? Would covering up the 3 TTL connector pins with electrical tape not effectively turn it into a generic hotshoe flash that would work with a non-Leica body?

I understand that at least TTL and Auto mode won’t work on a non-Leica body, but I was hoping to use the flash in Manual solely to familiarize myself with it using different focal lengths and test its effectiveness shooting subjects at varying distances and also test the flash’s modifiers (like the wide angle adapter) to fully understand the unit so I can shoot it on my M6TTL confidently right from the get go.

I shoot mostly color neg film and process through a lab and I’d rather not spend lab fees for what will just amount to a bunch of ugly test shots only meant to familiarize myself with exposure and distance using the flash.

Ideally, I’d just use a digital Leica body and look at its screen, but I don’t own one and don’t want to spend on a rental just for this.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By UltraDan
      Hi there, 
      Can anyone offer me some simplified advice for using a flash with my m4p, I have an old sunpak auto 140 flash that is non settable and is activated via the ports on the back, what I wanted to know is :
      how do I gauge my shutter speed and aperture for two situations 1) outdoor in good/fair light 2) indoor
      and is it better to use one of the ports over the other (M or X) 
      Thanks in advance,
      Dan.
    • By bgreig
      I am using an SF40 flash on my Leica Q. What is the best way to use the flash for fill while shooting in automatic aperture and automatic speed mode? In automatic speed but a specific aperture?

• By ToddSch
      Hello,
      I apologize if this has been answered somewhere before, but I searched the forum (and the web) and cannot seem to find my answer. I purchased a Leica SF24D about a year ago. On arrival, it worked flawlessly in TTL, A, M etc and overall I was pleased.
      It has been a few months since I have used the flash and this past weekend when using the unit, it noticed that it exhibited some behavior that I do not recall existing before. When used in TTL (and with 6 bit coded Leica lenses ) I thought I remember that when changing the F-Stop on the lens, the flash would also show the corresponding f-stop with distance on the LCD display on the flash . When using the flash this past weekend, I noticed that when changing the F-Stop on my lens, the flash was fixed on an f-stop, say 2.4. When I changed my lens from 2.4 to 8, the flash remained on 2.4. Overall, the exposure actually looked correct so it appears that that the flash is working. As a test, I adjusted ISO on camera and the ISO did change on flash. I also changed sync speeds in camera, cleaned contacts on lens, replaced batteries in flash etc. I also manually adjusted flash f-stop when in TTL mode (set flash to F8, then lens to 2.4, 5.6, 8 etc) and the exposures continued to look accurate.

Am I just remembering the operation of this flash wrong? I thought the flash f-stop would show the corresponding f-stop on lens when in TTL?

As for A, that is working as expected, same as M.

Thanks for any insights.
    • By michaeltmonaco
      Hey my name is mike and i've had my m4 since june and absolutely love the camera.  I got it cla'd by yye camera and it works great.  Only issue is I love to shoot with flash and when I try doing so with this camera it is extremely unreliable..  I have never used the leica brand pc sync cord's and was curious if that could be the issue, but have tested the cords I have on all of the other film cameras I own and they work no problem at all.  I have the vivitar 285hv and that comes with a sync cable already attached to the flash then put the other end on the socket of the camera and it works about 10 percent of the time.  My other method was buying a hot shoe adapter and then putting my metz flash atop / and or my small nikon this again only worked rarely and with intense fidgeting of the cable.  If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it.  Thanks a lot.

Best,
      Mike

• By NRKstudio
      To the forum gurus: 
      For my SL2, I am seeking a good on-camera flash with radio transmitter capability, plus a controller for it.  
      I have the SF40, and it’s not making the cut really.  TTL is decent tho, but I just read “The Flash Book” by Scott Kelby and his system is all about setting the flash/camera (move the flash off camera if possible) to Manual mode (1/4 flash power, iso 100, 1/125 sec, f/5.6)and just adjusting the camera from there.
      So what have y’all been using for a good hot shoe flash and a radio controller?? 
      The SF58 and c1 remote are out of my budget unfortunately! I’m an amateur photographer who shoots just my toddler and wife, and some friends/family events.  

thanks in advance for the guidance!