Next Generation - Detachable Lens?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't really regard the Q2 as a 28mm camera - I guess that < 50% of my photos are taken at 28mm.  The lens and sensor are so good you can crop to a much greater extent than with the previous generation.

This little feller is cropped to about 60mm in Lightroom, but otherwise pretty much straight out of the camera.  I've also found that the Q2 and the M10 Mono (with 50mm lens) make a great combination.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, T25UFO said:

I don't really regard the Q2 as a 28mm camera - I guess that < 50% of my photos are taken at 28mm.  The lens and sensor are so good you can crop to a much greater extent than with the previous generation.

This little feller is cropped to about 60mm in Lightroom, but otherwise pretty much straight out of the camera.  I've also found that the Q2 and the M10 Mono (with 50mm lens) make a great combination.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Beautiful. You have the best of both worlds. I have a friend who has a Q2, M10M and a M10-P. He really has all the options. 
For me the fantastic sensor and lens on the Q2, gives a lot of options. It’s also the right amount of compact. Still a real camera, but easy to carry all day. 

• Like 2

If i could and want to afford another Leica camera then it would be a SL2 with a set of lenses 15mm WA, 35mm (or 24-70mm if quality is good enough) and 105mm with macro function
But as i still have the above Nikon setup and barely don't use it anymore as i enjoy to have one camera and travel light im more than happy with my Q2.

Chris

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 5:58 PM, Herr Barnack said:

The 28mm f/1.7 Summilux that is on the Q2 is not exactly a small lens to begin with; in terms of size, it is somewhere around the middle between my 35 Summicron M and my f/1.0 Noctilux M. 

Yes, one reason why the Q isn’t tempting me is that I think the 28mm Summilux already is (a little) too big.

Am 28.3.2020 um 16:44 schrieb Herr Barnack:

Or the Rollei 35 SE.  I still have my 35 SE but it too sits idle while I shoot with my Q2. 

I shot for years with the Rollei 35 SE and i loved it, but in a moment of weakness i sold her
I still have a  Contax T with a Zeiss Sonar 38mm f/2.8 i used a lot, i may should buy a film and give her a try again

However, of i need a small camera to have in my pocket i use my smartphone, for all other uses the Q2 is more than enough.

Chris

• Like 2

3 hours ago, evikne said:

Yes, one reason why the Q isn’t tempting me is that I think the 28mm Summilux already is (a little) too big.

The f/1.7 and AF must dictate the size of the lens. I’d guess it would be very challenging to make it much smaller. Add the macro capability and that’s even more true.
I find the Q / Q2 to be a nicely balanced camera. Not pocketable, but easy to carry in a small bag or just over the shoulder.

I’ve got a Sony RX100. Great camera for its size and sensor size, but not a Q for usability or IQ.

I also have a Canon 5D3 and a large assortment of lenses from the ultra-wide 11-24, 50, 65 super macro, 70-200, 500 f/4, 600 f/4. It’s a load carrying any subset of that gear. Thus, why I like traveling with just the Q2

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have also nikon pro gear and use it less and less, have not used it for months... And M10 with 50Lux, 90mm and also 21zeiss i use for Northern lights.

The Q2 is the one I carry everywhere everyday. The only thing I would miss to call it perfect is something wider than 28mm, that would be 24mm or 21!

Point is that I am getting to old to carry heavy weight, even the M10 is too heavy to carry on a hike...

• Like 3

vor 14 Stunden schrieb Lucena:

I have also nikon pro gear and use it less and less, have not used it for months... And M10 with 50Lux, 90mm and also 21zeiss i use for Northern lights.
The Q2 is the one I carry everywhere everyday. The only thing I would miss to call it perfect is something wider than 28mm, that would be 24mm or 21!
Point is that I am getting to old to carry heavy weight, even the M10 is too heavy to carry on a hike...

My words,
My D800 is back in my home and i use it there only a few times a year, mainly to take some macro photos with the 105mm macro.
The most pictures i took with her are either 15mm, the 24-70mm or the 105mm macro, the 70-200mm is barely unused.
I am not already too old to carry it around all day, but i simple see no reason to do that what i did the last 15 years.
Either being nervous to have my 15k photo gear and the 10K underwater gear in two pelicase checked in or what i mostly did
one pelicase with the underwater gear in one checked luggage and one 18 kilo/20 lbs photo backpack as carry-on and have always discussions about the weight.

Now i carry the Q2, the strobe, the ELP52 and a tiny tripod and still can take 80% of the photos i usually do.
But that's me, i am a wide angle guy, if i need to go longer then i crop, the fantastic quality of the Q2 allow that.
If i would need another focal lenght then i would go with a SL2 and the corresponding lens, but then i am there again where i left...

Why should Leica engineer a Q3 with detachable lens, they have the SL2 being slightly bigger but with 35mm lens weight is double than the Q2

Chris

Edited by PhotoCruiser

2 hours ago, PhotoCruiser said:

My words,
My D800 is back in my home and i use it there only a few times a year, mainly to take some macro photos with the 105mm macro.

Chris

I use the D800 for birdwatching, with a 300mm nikkor and the 1.4TC. Also have that gorgeous 105mm and a 60mm, but the Q2 fulfils my macro purposes... and have a 15mm zeiss I am going to sell if I find a buyer as per the 60mm.

So the Q2 is to stay a compact...with interchangeable lenses it would be an SL or else, but not a Q/Q2. Not having to carry extra lenses is one of the purposes for the Q/Q2... so a Q3 could only meet the same purpose. As I said above the only thing I miss about it is a wider angle... so I have to carry the M10 with the 21mm for certain photos as northern lights and night sky

Isabel

Although I wouldn’t call it “an interchangeable lens Q” since as covered above there is a lot more than form factor that makes the Q so fantastic, I DO think there is a slot in between the CL and the SL for for a full frame ILC L-Mount camera. I would think of it more as a “rangefinder styled SL” or “full frame CL”, however. I think overall Fuji has too many similar options, I do think there is merit to how they’ve distinguished the styling of the XT line and XPro line. 

Even though this is something that I personally would find attractive, it would certainly muddy the water too much between the CL, SL, and hypothetical M11 (If it has en EVF) as there would be too much overlap. 

Even if you have a bag full of lenses and some are zoom lenses it's an interesting challenge to shoot with one lens and if it's a zoom without touching the zoom ring. Are there shots you miss? For sure, but are there more interesting shots you get because you focus on composition and moving your feet/angle of view rather than "what sense should I use?" The real joy of something like the Q/QP/Q2 is that the 28mm lens gives you a lot more flexibility to interpret what you are shooting in perhaps a different way. Obviously shooting wild life or sport in the traditional way won't work. But I m still reminded of an amazing photo by Chris Smith UK press photographer) who instead of standing in front of Mohammed Ali and using a 135mm, stood behind and used a wide angle lens to get a different perspective on Ali. I think the Q family encourages you to see things differently, and that must be a good thing.

7 minutes ago, PhotoCruiser said:

And the most important, the choosen lens is most likely the wrong one for the situations or subjects someone encounters.

Chris

If I have too many lenses, I usually choose the wrong lens anyway. 😉

I've found that it's better to have fewer choices and learn how to use them in a creative way. 

vor 3 Minuten schrieb evikne:

I've found that it's better to have fewer choices and learn how to use them in a creative way. 

Yes, that is why i appreciate the fix lens on the Q series,
i still may have the wrong lens, but i cannot change them, so it's ok.

Chris