Next Generation - Detachable Lens?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Do you think it is a possibility that a Q3 with the big new addition being lens detachability could come along in a year or two?  My dream would be a Q2 with lens detachability and an option to buy either a 35 or 50 1.7 with both autofocus and manual focus just like the permanently attached 28 1.7 on the Q2 - all at the same price as the Q2.  Is this a fantasy?  Only in my dreams?

Conceptually, a Q type body with an interchangeable mount would be nice to have.  However, I think it unlikely.   I believe it is not so simple.  The problem is the Q is built with the shutter in the lens.  The SL of course, will take almost any lens with proper adapters and that appears to be Leica's EVF solution today.  An M with built in EVF would be smaller and might be technically possible, but still is not likely.  (The purists say you cannot have a "M" camera with an EVF, but Leica doesn't have to call it "M")

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Daniel81 said:

Yes, I have the SL and I love it.  But the SL with its native SL summicron primes is not a throw around your shoulder walk about town camera.  A "Q3" with a M sized 50 lens would be.

....and there's your problem. Leica have already explained that they made the Q with the 28mm lens because a 35 or 50 would just be too big, and they're talking about a fixed lens again. Also the lens and sensor on a fixed lens camera like the Q is essentially one unit, it's not just a case of fitting a lens mount to a Q body.

Another option for a more compact set is of course the CL.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

An M-11 with a high res EVF and 47MP sensor would be close. Manual focus though. An M-10R might also be a nice alternative. 

I cannot see Leica ever making an interchangeable lens Q. The M or the SL are the two models offering MF or AF. 

The leaf shutter in the Q/Q2 is part of the camera’s magic. Flash syncing to 1/2000 sec. is stunning. Leica would have to design another series of lenses to maintain the shutter and lens speed and they would too big. 

The Q/Q2 is what it is. I more expect to see a Q3 with an external ISO dial like on the M10 and an articulating higher res rear LCD. I’ve wondered if Leica could invent screw on filters for a focal length alternative to 28mm. Something like the screw on filters that Fuji does on the X100 series. 

Edited by Leica Guy
  • Like 3

Funny how people want truly unique cameras like the Q and the M series leica to turn into just another digital camera.

Hope they stay in their respective niche market and do not become boring and samey  like so many other cameras.

vor 10 Stunden schrieb steve 1959:

Funny how people want truly unique cameras like the Q and the M series leica to turn into just another digital camera.

I also wondering about this argument,
some people buy a family van and after complaining that the car is not a truck and he could not carry dirty stuff in the bed.
The Q series is a specialized and unique camera, basically a very high end compact camera and that is what she was designed and will stay like this.
As already written, a Q2 with exchangable lenses is basically the SL2 at the cost of a bigger size/weight and a much higher price as only the body is about 1K more.
But i have to admit that the SL2 would be my second camera if i would switch back to interchangable lenses (what i probably never will do again)

I always bought a camera because she had something i wanted and then i adapted on how to use her and overcome the odds every camera has.

The Q Series is doing exactly what i want and need, small, fixed lens and a absolutely stunning photo quality.
Sure there could be other things making the Q /Q2 a camer for a broader use, but then sh would not be what she is, the best compact camera on the market.

There are a lot of cameras of similar size and high quality, pairing their body with a Leica lens would give similar photographic quality and more possibilities,
but that's not what i want.

Chris

• Like 3

18 hours ago, earleygallery said:

....and there's your problem. Leica have already explained that they made the Q with the 28mm lens because a 35 or 50 would just be too big, and they're talking about a fixed lens again. Also the lens and sensor on a fixed lens camera like the Q is essentially one unit, it's not just a case of fitting a lens mount to a Q body.

Another option for a more compact set is of course the CL.

The 28mm f/1.7 Summilux that is on the Q2 is not exactly a small lens to begin with; in terms of size, it is somewhere around the middle between my 35 Summicron M and my f/1.0 Noctilux M.  Fortunately Leica was able to keep the total weight of the Q2 within reason.

If a 35 or 50 would be bigger still, it would start to erode the design parameters/philosophy underlying the Q2 - to create a small, light go everywhere camera that produces extremely high image quality and is easy to use for all-around photography.

I wouldn't want a Q3 with a lens that is larger than the f/1.7 Summilux 28 - but that's just me.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

I wouldn't want a Q3 with a lens that is larger than the f/1.7 Summilux 28 - but that's just me.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Subject drift... I do regret giving my Minox away.  I'd received as a birthday gift in the '60s when I was a teen.   I'd not used it in decades when I gave it away.

But a better comparison for small is the small full frame Olympus XA.  The 35 mm file rangefinder with a 35mm f/2.8 lens is smaller than the RX1  -- approx 105 mm wide, 65 mm high, and only 40.5 mm deep.   It does give up a stop to the Sony, though.

I still have an XA.   It mostly sits on a shelf while I use my Q.

• Like 1

...But a better comparison for small is the small full frame Olympus XA...

Or the Rollei 35 SE.  I still have my 35 SE but it too sits idle while I shoot with my Q2

The Q2 is just too hard to resist, but I have to make an effort to get out my 35 SE and take it for a walkabout now and then.

Thanks for all the input!!  Obviously there were technicalities of the Q/Q2 that I did not appreciate at all and now I do.  Its a very compelling option I am considering.  I have an SL with the 75 SL summicron and a couple of R lenses with R to L adaptor.  I am thinking of a Q or Q2 to complement and broaden my options in both focal length and travel / general walkabout capacity.  This conversation helped me.  Thanks.

4 hours ago, Daniel81 said:

Thanks for all the input!!  Obviously there were technicalities of the Q/Q2 that I did not appreciate at all and now I do.  Its a very compelling option I am considering.  I have an SL with the 75 SL summicron and a couple of R lenses with R to L adaptor.  I am thinking of a Q or Q2 to complement and broaden my options in both focal length and travel / general walkabout capacity.  This conversation helped me.  Thanks.

+1. The Q2 is hard to resist. An extremely capable travel camera. Fun too! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I would throw everything for a Q2 with a fixed lens but not with a 28mm, with a 50mm or at least a 35mm, with a 28 even given I don't want it.

I got the 18 summilux, I hardly ever used it.

Edited by cirke
  • Like 1