RonnieW

Still waiting

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I ordered an SL2 in early December and it is still backordered. Does anyone have a good idea what to expect? Two dealers I have talked with said Leica does not tell them anything. They come when they come. Some are available in offshore stores, but I would prefer to get one here in the U.S.

Posted (edited)

Hello, hallo.
You keep coming on here with that. There are better, more specific links to  eBay. I've gone there a few times. Not interested in getting in a bidding war. Breguet and the Hong Kong dealers have their prices jacked up, and will probably snare people with more anxiety than resolve. Just wondering whether anyone can answer my question.

Edited by RonnieW

Leica US operations were shut down March 20, including Leica Stores, the US online store, NJ Customer Care, and US corporate offices.  So supply is anyone’s guess, with options limited to independent stores here and abroad. Actively calling around, including to smaller dealers, has been a useful strategy during past product supply challenges, but this is unlikely to produce results in this case as it seems that Leica Stores and the online shop were the primary early SL2 supply recipients.

Jeff

That's what I was thinking, Jeff. Leica was really taking their time getting these out, and now I'm SOL for awhile.
Thanks!

Hi, I also ordered early December at Leica Store in the US.

Still waiting. In Germany they are in stock here and there so it should soon ease up in the US.

Cheers

JK

Leica Rumors posted something about a week ago to the effect that new stock of SL2, Monochrom10, and others had arrived in the US. If those were already spoken for, there may be a further delay. Among other things, air cargo capacity is reduced these days with all the passenger flights grounded (about half of cargo rides below decks on passenger flights), and the lack of capacity on those and dedicated cargo freighters has led to a trebling in cargo rates, something like EUR2.50/kg to EUR 7.50/kg. Though some carriers (AA and BA) are operating passenger planes as cargo flights, to generate some revenue and to keep aircraft and crews flying.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, RonnieW said:

Hello, hallo.
You keep coming on here with that. There are better, more specific links to  eBay. I've gone there a few times. Not interested in getting in a bidding war. Breguet and the Hong Kong dealers have their prices jacked up, and will probably snare people with more anxiety than resolve. Just wondering whether anyone can answer my question.

Don't think you realise the advertisement placements are random - they are popping up all over the forum and this is not meant to be a specific answer to your post 🙂

3 hours ago, Chuck Albertson said:

Leica Rumors posted something about a week ago to the effect that new stock of SL2, Monochrom10, and others had arrived in the US. If those were already spoken for, there may be a further delay. Among other things, air cargo capacity is reduced these days with all the passenger flights grounded (about half of cargo rides below decks on passenger flights), and the lack of capacity on those and dedicated cargo freighters has led to a trebling in cargo rates, something like EUR2.50/kg to EUR 7.50/kg. Though some carriers (AA and BA) are operating passenger planes as cargo flights, to generate some revenue and to keep aircraft and crews flying.

I got it at NY soho  Leica store , I suggest calling

I am also awaiting a new SL2 from my local independent camera store, which is an authorized Leica dealer.  This weeks' update from the store's U.S. east coast Leica rep says Leica is awaiting some component for the SL2 (didn't say from what country) that is currently difficult to get.  Probably due to the Andromeda Strain going on right now.

14 hours ago, Photoworks said:

I got it at NY soho  Leica store , I suggest calling

US Leica stores were closed March 20 due to Covid-19.

Jeff

I was able to get one from the leicacamerausa store today. Email confirmation said "awaiting shipment." I am assuming their online store is still shipping during this crisis. Can anyone confirm this?