M8range

Is a 'slower shutter' than 'fps rate' in Video Mode possible? (Leica SL)

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Video Mode question: (Leica SL)

Does anyone know how to set the 'shutter speed' to slower than the 'fps rate' in video mode to create 'shutter/motion blur effects' in camera?

It seems to only go as low as the fps rate no matter what I try, perhaps someone has a work-around or tip?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by M8range
Clarification re: Camera

If you think what means 24FPS, 24 exposure in one sec. 

If you would have a longer exposure time you will run out of time to exposes 24 frames.

In alternative you can do time-lapse photography and edit it into a video clip. In this case you can make 1sec exposure and them make a 11fps video.

Here's an example of the effect I wish to create... If I can shoot at 1/15th or a second I should be able to achieve this, however, at 24 fps I cannot shoot at slower than 1/25th... It wont matter that I don't have enough frames, because I could simply repeat some frames, however, with a shutter faster than 15th its almost impossible to achieve the blur I'm looking for...

53 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

If you think what means 24FPS, 24 exposure in one sec. 

If you would have a longer exposure time you will run out of time to exposes 24 frames.

In alternative you can do time-lapse photography and edit it into a video clip. In this case you can make 1sec exposure and them make a 11fps video.

Sorry first time posting, think I was supposed to quote you in my response? thanks for replying/helping...

Can't you obtain the effect you want by setting your shutter speed for the desired blur, then running in continuous?  The camera won't go any faster then than the shutter will permit.  Then, as suggested, collect the frames in a video editor and duplicate or combine as needed to get 24 fps video out of it.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, M8range said:

Sorry first time posting, think I was supposed to quote you in my response? thanks for replying/helping...

I suggest you use a Sony then, It can go down to 1/4

Edited by Photoworks

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Masha Vesset
      Hi there! I am a new Leica SL2 owner. So far the only lens I have is the 24-90, and would love to buy a portrait prime. For a bit of background, I came from Canon with the 85 and 50 1.2 lenses, and which I shot wide open or at 1.4 most of the time. I am currently torn: SL50 Summilux, M50 Summilux, or something else entirely? 
      Grateful for advice!
    • By Txiki
      Hi guys,
      this is my first post, regarding my first Leica which I bought on Ebay.
      It was listed as having an issue with 1sec shutter speed being way too fast, which I didn't care much because it is a shutter speed I don't think I am going to use at all. I received the camera, really good cosmetic condition btw, and I noticed that all slow shutter speeds, below 1/30sec were off, way too fast. After googling the problem, I found that that can happen after a long time without being used, and that firing the shutter several times throughout all the shutter speed range might work. So I did it and it worked, for all shutter speeds except 1/8 and 1/30. I compared it side by side with my Canon 7 and they were the same-ish by the naked eye. And now, I have just tried something and if I fire the shutter with the camera upside down, 1/8 sounds ok, halfway between 1/15 and 1/4. And I promise I haven't been drinking or anything 🤨
      So, today, I have contacted by email 4 Leica repair shops in the UK. Two of them have replied, one that they cannot do it because they don't have spare parts, and the other that I should return the camera and ask for a refund. So I went to the only Leica repair shop that I know in London, which I am not going to say its name. So, I got there, the guy took the camera, he wasn't listening to what I was saying at first, started firing the shutter and making appreciative faces saying, yes, slow speeds are ok. Until I got him to listen to what I was saying, and then he saw the problem with 1/8 and 1/30. He told me the camera would need servicing (now the finder needed service too because it wasn't a clean view..., but also that they wouldn't probably need any spare parts), which is fine, normal price for a CLA for a Leica. But he also advised I returned the camera to the seller. So I don't really know what to do. The camera has that problem, it looks in good cosmetic condition, and, whatever they say, I been after one of these cameras for like a year, and I have never seen one in this cosmetic condition for less than a grand. And I bought this one for £750. I have asked the seller if they would refund me the cost of the repair, but they haven't said yes, just have asked me to check if I want and let them know.
      So, what do you guys, as Leica users, think? Just a honest, and blunt if necessary, opinion.
      Cheers

• By NRKstudio
      Hate to say the SL2 video capabilities are seriously flawed at 4K recording and C4K.  See the picture below.  The main issues I ran into during a full day of video use (With the 50 APO SL and 35/1.2 Art):
      1.  4K recording can only occur for 5 minutes or less on a full battery before error message “battery level too low for 4K recording”.  (Changed batteries and encountered same issue so it’s not the battery)
      2.  C4K recording restricts AF usage, limited to only manual focus with the Sigma 35/1.2. 
      3. All AF capabilities during recording are very slow to focus, unable to switch faces during face/body detection (in the rare case it captures a face), the AF box may at times capture 2-3 bodies and choose to “average” the focus distance.  
      4.  No compressed 4K recording at 50mbps or less.  
      5.  Video Focus peaking’s highlighted/colored areas do not match still focus peaking highlighted areas.  
      6.  No way to magnify the video during capture to check focus.  

Unfortunately the error message for battery doesn’t show up until 30 seconds after you hit record video.  So it ruined a nice Xmas morning moment with the family, when I set up the tripod, hit record, then joined the wife/baby.  5 minutes later, I check the camera and only 30 seconds or less were recorded and the moment gone.  Last year my A7r3 recorded 4K full width of sensor till the battery went to 0%.  AF easily moved from eye to eye of subjects, focus peaking was accurate and easily seen, and it held tons of video in a UHS-1 SD Card.  

For a camera that touts it video recording, my iPhone did better (actually much better), and then I had to grab my xpro3 for the rest of the day.  

how did Leica release a camera with such terrible firmware?? ASIDE from video, just off the top of my head, I recall: terrible accuracy and reliability issues with AF-c tracking, complete lack of eye-AF all together, blurry EVF view in magnified mode for AF-s and manual focus, no AF-s abilities at all while in magnified live view,  terrible reliability with tethering (can’t tether to an iPad with two SD cards in the camera due to a firmware bug),  nonlinear focusing in manual focus on the Summicron SL lenses.  That’s all I encountered, im sure there’s more to report.  I haven’t encountered a small percentage of such obvious firmware issues with the xpro3, a7r3, A7r4, Nikon z7, or gfx50r.  

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By j.haden165
      Hi everyone, I've encounter a strange "bug" with my M2

I took a shot, then cocked the shutter so i would be ready for the next shot, but I didnt fire right away but let it be. When I took the next shot after some times, the shutter speed seems to be slower than the speed indicate in the shutter speed dial

I make some test shots at 1/125 and 1/60, cocked the shutter, wait for couple of minute, then click the button. When the m2 fire, i believe it was fired at 1/15 or 1/8
      I took one more test at 1/8, wait 3 minutes then fire, the shutter speed then fired at 1/4. The more i'd wait, the slower the speed. For example, 1 minute then it was slowered by 1 speed, 3 minutes for 3 speed... (not exact numbers)
      I've also tested to change the speed before/after advance the level, and before/after waiting for the next frame. But it seemed that the problem still remained

I didn't have any trouble with the machine when clicked the button right after I cocked the shutter, but i really want to be always ready for the next frame. 

Have anyone encountered the same problem? Is there anyway to fix it? 
    • By Burtiess
      Hi, the Q2 is my first Leica (sorry 😉 ). Besides the weird Implementation of the much discussed BackButtonFocus I've noticed another strange one, but not sure if it's just me. In all my other cams you simply have a more/less plain, isolated setting: Minimum Shutter-speed. It just takes care the shutter-speed, in whatever (semi-)auto setting you force the camera in, does not go below a defined value, for obvious reasons, most important one: the user does not want it to go below that value, knowing what she/he is doing or anticipating on situations he/she expects.
      However, with the Q2 you CAN set the min value in the sub-menu AUTO ISO settings (which already is a bit strange) but what happens is that when you set the MIN SHUTTERSPEED, it ONLY works when ISO is set to AUTO. As soon as you decide to kick the ISO setting from AUTO to a specific value(simply because you want to for that shot/series and since I set the thumbweel to that function, its very easy to do so), you loose the min. shutter setting. Is that normal practice at LEICA?  The other AUTO-ISO setting: MAX ISO is on the other hand maintained whatever you do (shutter/aperture/exp. correction etc.), so that one works fine i.m.o. 
      Anyway, just curious about opinions and maybe i'm just wrong, for now a bit irritating I cannot set with full confidence a minimum shutter-speed and truly hope it's firmware-fixable. Thanks in advance