M8range

Is a 'slower shutter' than 'fps rate' in Video Mode possible? (Leica SL)

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Video Mode question: (Leica SL)

Does anyone know how to set the 'shutter speed' to slower than the 'fps rate' in video mode to create 'shutter/motion blur effects' in camera?

It seems to only go as low as the fps rate no matter what I try, perhaps someone has a work-around or tip?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by M8range
Clarification re: Camera

If you think what means 24FPS, 24 exposure in one sec. 

If you would have a longer exposure time you will run out of time to exposes 24 frames.

In alternative you can do time-lapse photography and edit it into a video clip. In this case you can make 1sec exposure and them make a 11fps video.

Here's an example of the effect I wish to create... If I can shoot at 1/15th or a second I should be able to achieve this, however, at 24 fps I cannot shoot at slower than 1/25th... It wont matter that I don't have enough frames, because I could simply repeat some frames, however, with a shutter faster than 15th its almost impossible to achieve the blur I'm looking for...

53 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

If you think what means 24FPS, 24 exposure in one sec. 

If you would have a longer exposure time you will run out of time to exposes 24 frames.

In alternative you can do time-lapse photography and edit it into a video clip. In this case you can make 1sec exposure and them make a 11fps video.

Sorry first time posting, think I was supposed to quote you in my response? thanks for replying/helping...

Can't you obtain the effect you want by setting your shutter speed for the desired blur, then running in continuous?  The camera won't go any faster then than the shutter will permit.  Then, as suggested, collect the frames in a video editor and duplicate or combine as needed to get 24 fps video out of it.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, M8range said:

Sorry first time posting, think I was supposed to quote you in my response? thanks for replying/helping...

I suggest you use a Sony then, It can go down to 1/4

Edited by Photoworks

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By sebas_
      Hello, 
      I am experiencing an image error while video-recording in full frame mode. 
      It is not that easy to see, but I get a bluish-white line on the bottom of the video frame. It is there in full-frame mode but goes away when I switch to APSC. I have just installed Firmware 2 and it is still there. 
      Does any of you have the same issues? Just wanting to check, if I got a bad copy or it's a more common problem. 
      Thanks! 

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By Lollo
      Hello Leica friends,
      I wanted to bring to your attentions some issues I’m having with the Leica SL2.. 
      I have bought this camera mainly for Video shooting as I use M10P and M6 for photos. 
      I loved using my M lenses on the SL system and when the SL2 was finally announced I thought it was time to get one. I tested every shooting mode and I have to say that the camera has received some big improvements compared to the previous 601. The Ibis is very accurate and in HLG mode the dinamic range is quite impressive. Didn’t like the LLog though, very noisy and difficult to handle. And the internal 4K 60fps is just useless for aliasing and moire (you must use an external recorder if you want to get a decent file, when the Panasonic S1H is very clean in the same mode).
      I also use for my work Alexa Mini LF and smaller bodies such as the Z-Cam F6, this last camera has a nice M mount with positive lock which enables me to use all my Leica M lenses. 
      So why I got a SL2? The main reason is to be able to carry it everywhere, in a small backpack with a couple of lenses, other than on set for work. Now, the files produced by this camera should be H265(?).. but the files won’t play in my machines. The finder doesn’t show any preview, QuickTime doesn’t read them. VLC plays only the first 3 frames (18cores IMac Pro).. imagine you shoot 300 clips and you need to conform them every time to Prores in order to just see what you have shot. I remember I bought my SL2 in Shanghai the day it came out and after 2 days shooting around I just switched to my small Zcam as I had to open at every import FCPX or Premiere and create a project just to watch my daily footage and after delete it.
      So my question: having a playable file out of camera (internal recording) is Asking too much? 
      Another big limitation is the focus magnifier that doesn’t work while recording. With an Atomos Ninja V the resolution helps but as I said.. why I can’t enjoy this camera as it is? 
      I’ve also got multiples hot pixels, partially removed by the internal NR.. but still present.
      Last, a few times I’ve used an L mount lens... the camera can’t handle video recording for more than 10 min with a fully charged battery. 

I won’t give up with this camera as I strongly believe a new firmware will fix these problems.
      what do you guys think? 
    • By Dunner
      Voigtlander 50mm 1.2VM
    • By Dunner
      Zeiss Distagon 35mm 1.4ZM
    • By Masha Vesset
      Hi there! I am a new Leica SL2 owner. So far the only lens I have is the 24-90, and would love to buy a portrait prime. For a bit of background, I came from Canon with the 85 and 50 1.2 lenses, and which I shot wide open or at 1.4 most of the time. I am currently torn: SL50 Summilux, M50 Summilux, or something else entirely? 
      Grateful for advice!